Looking for friends who have had Gastric Bypass :)

Options
Good morning everyone! I had Gastric Bypass August 13th,2012 and I am looking for friends ,who have had the surgery as well,for support,questions, motivation etc. I feel like I'm hitting a stall and would love input from others who have gone through it. Thanks so much! :)

Replies

• ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    HI!

I had Gatric Bypass on July 30th! And don't worry about the stall.........I hit a plateau that lasted THREE WEEKS! Its normal and pretty soon the weight starts dropping again!
  • live2love2012
    Options
    HI!

I had Gatric Bypass on July 30th! And don't worry about the stall.........I hit a plateau that lasted THREE WEEKS! Its normal and pretty soon the weight starts dropping again!

Thanks for the encouragement! I hit a plateau once before, but it seems this one is lasting FOREVER!!!! I am so frustrated :(
  • adamicwhitwell
    Options
    Hi there! I had gastric bypass on 5/4/2004. I thougth I was going to die before I got out of the hospital-no food, no water, no sleep... The hospital support group was my savior - I learned a lot from them!! If you can find one near your home, I recomend it! I will give you as much help as possible. Following the diet the docotor gives you is very important and start exercising as soon as you can. Don't eat sugar - it will make you sick!! Try not to eat too much or you will vomit. I lost a total of 185 ponds in less than 2 years. My husband passed away 4 years ago and my nerves dictated to me to eat, eat, eat. As a result I gained 75 pounds. I am now in the process of trying to loose it whcih brings me to fitness pal. I have lost 11 pounds so far. My goal is to loose 50 altogether by the end of June - have a wedding to go to. I hope to stay motivated thru this website. My niece is on here with me so that we can help each other. I will be happy to answer your questions. Hang in there and drink plenty of water!!! Not sure what your doctor has told you to eat, but for breakfast I used the carnation instant breakfast (fat free, sugar free) in the blue box mixed with a cup of skim milk. Getting protein is the hardest. Eat egg whites, yogurt - go for the greek yogurt as it has more protein. Eat lot of fish. Good Luck!!
  • live2love2012
    Options
    Hi there! I had gastric bypass on 5/4/2004. I thougth I was going to die before I got out of the hospital-no food, no water, no sleep... The hospital support group was my savior - I learned a lot from them!! If you can find one near your home, I recomend it! I will give you as much help as possible. Following the diet the docotor gives you is very important and start exercising as soon as you can. Don't eat sugar - it will make you sick!! Try not to eat too much or you will vomit. I lost a total of 185 ponds in less than 2 years. My husband passed away 4 years ago and my nerves dictated to me to eat, eat, eat. As a result I gained 75 pounds. I am now in the process of trying to loose it whcih brings me to fitness pal. I have lost 11 pounds so far. My goal is to loose 50 altogether by the end of June - have a wedding to go to. I hope to stay motivated thru this website. My niece is on here with me so that we can help each other. I will be happy to answer your questions. Hang in there and drink plenty of water!!! Not sure what your doctor has told you to eat, but for breakfast I used the carnation instant breakfast (fat free, sugar free) in the blue box mixed with a cup of skim milk. Getting protein is the hardest. Eat egg whites, yogurt - go for the greek yogurt as it has more protein. Eat lot of fish. Good Luck!!

Thanks for your response! I do have an awesome support group that I go to once a month....it just seems so early in the process to hit yet another plateau......I am recording everything I put in my mouth and it seems like I am starving! Mind you, it is a few days before "that time of month" so I am going to assume my cravings for sweet/salty things are from that. I don't know about you, but I really wasn't expecting such an emotional roller coaster either....oh well, I just need to learn to stay focused and lose the last 66lbs.

On a side note, I am so sorry to hear of your loss....that is heartbreaking to hear! You are so strong and I am so encouraged by your story to just stick with it!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I didn't have gastric bypass, but I had to have biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch a yr. ago. I had my surgeries for medical reasons such as gastric bile reflux. I did lose my wt. due to the surgeries. I just had to have hernia repair surgery due to my large incision...many large hernias as a matter of fact. I do understand having to watch what you eat and such. Feel free to add me.
  • katparker
    Options
    Hi --- I had bypass on June 18 2012. have lost 74 lbs so far. I have stalls all the time. And it seems like I lose kinda slow. Or I have in the past 2 months. I have tried everything from more exercise to more water, but the weight just kinda moves when it wants to. So glad I made the choice to have this surgery!!
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    I just had gastric bypass. I am day 4 post-op. I am in a ton of pain and I weigh 12lbs more than I did before I went in for surgery and just started protien drinks today. I am sure it is water weight from all the IVs but it's still hard. I plan on using this site to help me track my progress and find support during the lows. I welcome any supportive freinds who can help me make this journey a success.
  • kkwelte
    Options
    Am still planning on having the surgery in mid Jan of 2013. Have started all the pre surgery education and meetings. I sure wouldn't mind having some out there to talk to about things
  • itsjustmedeb
    itsjustmedeb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain! I had my surgery 10/23/12 & for the 1st couple of weeks I thought I was going to die but it gets better! Hope you are feeling the rewards soon!
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I had gastric bypass March 16 2012, my husband had it June 1 2012. We both had lapriscopic surgery. The first couple of days are hard (my husband had more pain than I did, but I'm pretty tough that way). If you get up and walk regularly it helps a lot. There were times in the 1st few months that different foods didn't agree with me now and then. I was terrified the 1st time I ate solid food post op. But, 9.5 months out for me and I've lost 110 of the 212lbs I'd like to lose. My chloresterol is down, my stamina is up and I'm going to start training for a 5K after the 1st of the year. I'm sleeping better, my knees don't hurt anymore, I can fly without a seat belt extender and fit in arm chair comfortably. I've gone from a size 28 pants to a size 18 (the 28's were snug and the 18's are loose now). I'm almost never hungry and can eat nearly everything that I want to now. My husband as lost 147lbs in 6 months. He's gone from a size 46 pants to size 38 pants that are a bit loose. He is off blood pressure meds, his blood sugar is not borderline anymore, and his sleep apnea is nearly gone.

Gaining weight right after surgery is normal (it's swelling and water from the IV). It will come off quickly, like a week or so. Everyone worries that they will be "the one" person that doesn't lose weight, don't worry, if you do what your Dr. says, you'll lose the weight.

We have 2 little boys (4 & 6), our respective weight losses have allowed us to be able to ride bikes with the boys, go to the park and run around and just be a lot more active. It was totally worth it.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Thanks for your response! I do have an awesome support group that I go to once a month....it just seems so early in the process to hit yet another plateau......I am recording everything I put in my mouth and it seems like I am starving! Mind you, it is a few days before "that time of month" so I am going to assume my cravings for sweet/salty things are from that. I don't know about you, but I really wasn't expecting such an emotional roller coaster either....oh well, I just need to learn to stay focused and lose the last 66lbs.

On a side note, I am so sorry to hear of your loss....that is heartbreaking to hear! You are so strong and I am so encouraged by your story to just stick with it!

Plateau's are really common. I hit a plateau for 3 weeks 45 days after surgery. I was a basket case. Absolutely convinced that I'd never lose another pound.....I've lost 80 more since then. It seems like plateau's wouldn't be even possible when you do the calorie in/calorie out math, but they do happen.
  • healthieryou
    Options
    Which would you recommend the sleeve or the bypass?
  • Jeanettekoch
    Options
    :)