Brand new here...Chinese Food

Options
I'm brand new to MFP and I'm really liking the looks of this site. I also downloaded the iPhone app. Question I have a meeting today at a chinese restaurant ~ #1 what should I eat and #2 how hard will it be to calculate in MFP??

Thank you :wink:

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    As for #1, no idea. Guessing something high in veggies, low in sauce would be the healthiest choice. I am a Sesame Chicken, Fried Rice girl so no opinions there. As for tracking, you can look it up and go with what you feel is a good average. There should be entries for almost everything but unless the restaurant gives you the nutrition info, it's a best guess. I would try and estimate on the high end and keep the rest of the day as low and healthy as possible. I bet if you google "healthiest chinese choices" or something like that it would give you options. Or look up some of you favorites on here and see what comes out the best?
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    When I've been in this situation, I look up the food here and via google (such as vegetable fried rice) and take an average, assuming the restaurant doesn't publish nutritional facts. And I use a generous estimate of the portion. If I think it looks like 1 cup, I might add an additional 1/4 cup or so, to be safe. Good luck and welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Number 1 - pick a simple stir fry without a sweet sauce and no nuts - like chicken with broccoli, beef with bok choy, or even tofu if you like it have a small helping of steamed rice - many have brown rice as a option, if you want a starter pick a soup like egg drop or wanton, ot hot sour or even ribs

Do not order anything that was fried in batter then a sweet sauce added such as orange chicken, sweet and sour pork, or the fried rice or any noodles - all terriblly hard to limit calories

Number 2 - Use the search on the site you will get a ton of results pick one and forget about it even if it is bit wrong it is only one meal
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Chineese food is one of the hardest, as most dishes are loaded with oil and the amount of sugar in some of the sauces is crazy!.
    If they have fresh spring rolls, those are good. Plain steamed rice. And check out the soups.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Singapore Mai Fun
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If it's a buffet, see if they have one of those do-it-yourself stir-fry stations. You can pick your own healthy ingredients and sauces. If it's sit-down order-from-a-menu then either don't be afraid to question the waiter about what's in each dish, or call the restaurant ahead of time and ask them about healthy options. Some Chinese places are surprisingly savvy about offering low-fat or low-sugar options.

When all else fails, ask for steamed vegetables with chicken, sauce on the side.
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I would have no rice and get Broccoli Beef or chicken with veggies.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Ask for broiled or grilled chicken or shrimp with veggies and ask if they have brown rice. Stay away from anything breaded, far far away.
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Chineese food is one of the hardest, as most dishes are loaded with oil and the amount of sugar in some of the sauces is crazy!.
    If they have fresh spring rolls, those are good. Plain steamed rice. And check out the soups.

Don't forget the sodium. Most of the sauces are crazy high and you could eat your whole days worth with one meal! I had this problem a few weeks and and I had such a hard time, I ended up going with a plate of edamame no salt and an appetizer. The food was good and filling, I actually only had half of the edamame and was able to eat the rest for dinner. It kind of sucks though, because you see everyone's meal and it is really tempting, but I'm glad I didn't get anything else.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Chinese is soooo good...I'd say I have Chinese 3 times a week....yes Sodium is high, but other then that its fine. Rice can get you so go sparingly on rice...but other then that just stay away from the fried stuff like general tso's.

I love Kung Pao, Beef with brocoli, mongolian beef/chicken...oh man forget it.....the list goes on forever.