Just started tracking sugar

Options
I've been tracking fibre for a long time, but since I'm doing well in that department I decided to start tracking sugar. I eat about 2000 calories a day, and MFP has me at 41g of sugar. Well I just finished lunch and I'm already at 39g. I seem to be well over 41 on most days. I don't have any symptoms of diabetes at this point, and my doctor has never mentioned anything about my blood sugar levels. I'm just wondering if others keep strictly to the MFP-advised sugar amount, or just how "concerned" I should be about this number.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar specifically and just keep a eye on carbs
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking it at the advice of my dietician. The number was stressing me out and kept me from eating fruit and drinking milk. So, for my own sanity I don't track it now.

Some people feel the need to stay within MFP's limits but calories, carbs, protein are WAY more important - if you nail those then the rest is almost background noise in my opinion.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    What he said
    No need to track sugar especially if you eat a lot of fruit.... & the rest of it is apart of your carbs
    Unless you have a medical condition don't worry about it.
    I'm over on sugar all the time, but normally meet my goals for carbs and I've had plenty of success, even in the past few weeks when I've been unable to exercise for medical reasons.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you if you should be concerned or not. That's up to you.

If memory serves, the general government recommendation tends to be <80g (though it varies from country to country.) So you're still under that.

However, many people find that eating less sugar helps them manage auto-immune diseases, mood disorders and, yes, their weight. (A lot of the newer research on diet suggests eating less sugar and refined carbs and more healthy fats.)

Do you often feel tired, irritable or emotional? That could be a sign that something is off with your blood sugar. (For me it's the feeling of suddenly becoming a two year old again when I get hungry.)

Also, I can't see your diary so I don't know where your sugar comes from - maybe you're eating 12 bananas a day, I don't know. But if it's from soft drinks or sweeties then you're not adding anything (like fibre or vitamins) to your diet.

It won't do any harm to try eating less sugar one week (replacing it with 'good' fats) and see how you feel.

ETA - I found it really illuminating to track sugar. I had no idea how much added sugar was in the food I was eating, especially the food I thought was healthy, like fat-free yoghurt. It helps to remember that 4g of sugar is roughly approximate to one teaspoon. That way you can ask yourself, 'would I add [x] teaspoons of sugar to this food?' and 'do I want to eat this food that has [x] teaspoons of sugar already added?'
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at sugar intake for a couple of weeks, I've decided if it's from vegetables or fruit then I'm not worried about it, just looking at the rest and trying to cut it back if I can. I have a genetic form of diabetes, resulting in blood sugars that are always higher than normal, I reckoned in my health journey it would be good to monitor sugar.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    FDA recommends less than 30 grams of sugar a day if you not a diabetic, and less than 20 grams a day if you are a diabetic. I would take this Very seriously as there is now an epidemic of prediabetics and diabetics.
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tried tracking sugar when I first started on MFP and I never came in under the reccomended amount. It made me really upset so I stopped. I got my blood glucose levels tested about a year ago and it was really good. I eat healthier now than I did then sooooo I'm not worried.
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I track sugar and try to stay under MFP guidelines. I was diagnosed as having type II diabetes and wanted to respond agressively to sugar. However, my dietitian informed me there is no difference in carbs.vs sugar since both turn to sugar in the body and I believe her. However, I like staying under MFP guidelines since it is so strict for sugar. I eat more vegetables than fruit and I am surprised at the number of sugar calories in both.especially since I eat LARGE volumes of vegetables. You have a professional to guide you and I would utilize their suggestions if you have any concerns.
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great feedback so far. I do eat a lot of fruit (and vegetables) so that certainly has an impact on the sugar. However I am still eating some processed convenience foods (fruit-bottom greek yogurt and some granola bars for example) and really need to cut back on things like that. I am thinking though, that it might be enough to watch the carb numbers more than the sugar numbers. Thanks again, folks!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to track sugar if you are tracking carbohydrates, unless you have a medical reason for doing so. MFP wants us to eat a half a piece of fruit a day - completely absurd.

And as for the FDA comment, *PLEASE* do not trust the U.S. Government to advise you on your health! :noway:

xqeZb.jpg
  • Michelle_George80
    Options
    Directly from the FDA website: "Sugars: No daily reference value has been established for sugars because no recommendations have been made for the total amount to eat in a day."
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/NFLPM/ucm274593.htm

I'm unsure where the first FDA recommended value comment came from. They don't have a recommended value.

Anyway, I do keep an eye on my sugar intake simply because Diabetes (both 1 & 2) run in my family. I go over my sugar intake every day also, but I don't fret over it too much if I know I had a lot of fruit that day. I do try to keep the other yucky sugar intake to a minimum.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    And as for the FDA comment, *PLEASE* do not trust the U.S. Government to advise you on your health! :noway:

Or anything else for that matter.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Some people track it, some don't feel it's important. It will be entirely up to you.