Anyone else struggle with postpartum depression?

Options
I've been dealing with postpartum depression since June. Most days are good, but the last few days have sucked really bad.

My daughter is 9 months old and is teething really bad. The last three days have been non-stop fussiness and me ready to give up.

It's hard to get out of bed, let alone eat healthy or exercise on days like this.

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I didn't have PPD, but I did want to throw you some support. I'm a mom to a 22-month old and have recently entered the realm of tantrums and mood swings. Some days you feel like you can't do anything to make it better for them. Being a parent is the hardest job in the world.

Your daughter will feel better soon. Try to take good care of yourself so you can take good care of her.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Teething is so hard. Can you give her some baby Motrin? I know that used to help mine when they were little (they are 9 and 11 now...).
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I had my 4th baby and I still struggle with PPD from all of them :(
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I had it BAD with my first daughter. It was one of the WORST states of mind I had ever been in! I feel for you, feel free to add me. You can talk to me any time!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    teething gel, or jsut drug them with aspirin.

go tell your Doctor, they can get you on some meds. If your married let your husband know too, or it will be a huge blow up.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yes I did. It was terrible. When I confided in my (now ex) husband, he told me I was a psycho & needed to "get over myself".
    Please, if you're finding it hard to get out of bed, talk to your doctor. You DON'T have to live like that! Don't feel like it makes you a bad mother (many of us fall victim to this and never get help because of it). You'll realize once you get the help and your mood rises, how much BETTER of a mother you seem to be, because you're more present and alive & alert.
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I definitely suffered from it and still have bouts of depression. I've always had anxiety and depression and I know exactly what you mean. My baby is 14 months and over the past 3 months I haven't been eating well or exercising, and i gained back 10 lbs!

It's definitely tough! You just have to push through your own thoughts of "I can't do it" or tomorrow I'll start. I HATE the thought of getting up to go to the gym, but think of good you feel right after and hopefully that will give you the motivation! Maybe talk to your doctor about the postpartum and they can give you medication. I know my meds worked for me when I was on them! Good luck!
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Please get the help you need as soon as you can (whether it is counseling, coping strategies, support groups, medications, whatever you need depending on the seriousness of your condition). PPD is not to be taken lightly. There are organizations that provide support in almost every state. I co-founded a charity in the Detroit area that has helped many moms get through ppd and even saved some lives based on feedback from the moms and our support counselers. Postpatum Support International (PSI) has a website that you can go to to get contact information for a representative in Wisconsin (or any other state for that metter) who can direct you to resources available in your area.
  • sbozik123456789
    sbozik123456789 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I struggled with post partum depression really bad with my first child, to the point where my family would not leave me alone in my house at anytime for the first 6 months of my daughter being here. Not that I would have ever hurt her, it was the fact that I could not handle being alone with her at night. My anxiety levels would get so high I would be crying all the time. After 4 months of screaming and crying and throwing up and not sleeping (this is my daughter) we discovered she was lactose intolorent, once we fixed that and I went to my dr and was put on the proper medication thing started to brighten. She is now 3 1/2 and I have a 9 1/2 month old son and my life could not be better. Thing may look bleek now just make sure you see your dr. all it may take is a little pill once a day and your life will be so much brighter. Remember this period does not last :smile:

knowing what your are going threw
  • KBeener
    KBeener Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did with both births of my children. I hope you have reached out to your doctor. Don't let anyone try to minimize the difficulty of PPD. My first doctor was amazing and immediately helped me take action, put me on medication and got me feeling back to my normal self quickly. My second doctor didn't take it seriously, kept suggesting alternatives (writing in a journal; exercise, etc.) and I had to insist that it wasn't enough and that I really needed medication for a temporary period. I think people who haven't gone through it just can't understand how awful it is, and that you can't just "pull yourself out of it."

If you want to talk about it more, you can message me. Every mom deserves to ENJOY the birth of a baby and the first months and years after that. Sending good vibes your way!
  • fitmama419
    Options
    Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it.

I am on Zoloft and have been since June. Most days are good, but especially since it's cold out now and we can't get outdoors as much, I feel like I've slipped back a little. I've always struggled with some seasonal depression, so it's probably that on top of the PPD.
  • jacklin123
    Options
    postpartum depression

More than half of mothers after giving birth to a child usually suffer from temporary symptoms of depression. It is also called postpartum blues. These symptoms are mixed feelings of happiness, usually associated with all or a combination of irritability, tears, insomnia, and mood swings etc. Baby blues commonly referred term to postpartum depression (PPD) is related to pregnancy and childbirth.

http://www.postpartumdepressiontreatment.org/
  • lunajes
    lunajes Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First off, You Are Not Alone! I help facilitate a peer support Postpartum Depression and Perinatal Anxiety support group in my city. It is vital that you Talk to your significant other or someone you can trust to help you find the support you need. I highly recommend Postpartum Support International. They are online and offer great feedback, support, and are fast at giving guidance, respite, and accessing what is happening. Most counties/parishes have at least one Postpartum Doula who specializes in the depression and anxiety after having a child. PSI can help you find one, and majority of the time it is free. I was diagnosed with postpartum psychosis 6 months after giving birth to my son in 2007. I was hospitalized and put on incredibly helpful meds. It was the most frightening experience, but also where I did my most growth as a person once I received help. I was and still am so amazed at the amount of support and unconditional love my family received once I reached out. I wish you the best of luck during your journey. May I also recommend Postpartum Progress. It is the best online peer support you could possibly receive. And please, remember to be gentle with yourself. Sometimes, just the fact that you BREATHED today is best! Take care.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just another word of support! PPD can be brutal; I had it worst with my second child. The fact that she hardly slept made it much worse! I think you said you are already on antidepressants (maybe you need a dosage adjustment for winter?), so maybe you can figure out some way that you can get a full night's sleep at least once a week. Everything is much better if you're not exhausted.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had depression after my twins but I think I was still dealing with depression that I had previously as a result of my son being diagnosed with autism and losing my grandmother very close together. I remember begging my husband not to go to work and leave me with 3 kids Marcus was at school but it was just full on 24/7. All I did was breastfed, change nappies and look after kids. I loved them so much but it was such hard work. I expected too much from myself and tried to do everything and hated myself for not being able to. I had little support ,my husband and friends all being at work and no family close by. My GP prescribed antidepressants and counselling and they helped as did getting out if the house, even though it was incredibly hard work to get 3 kids out if the house and do anything. It gets easier try to find a baby group you can go to, speak to like minded people and ask for help you are not superwoman. Take care of you you, my health visitor told me I was the most important person in the family as I kept everyone else together and if I broke down so would everything else, this is so true and is something I tell my clients often (I am a midwife). Try to get out for a walk everyday as exercise helps lift your mood and progress from there to more exercise, take time for treats such as manicures bubble baths even if you do them yourself it will all help. Hope this helps remember you are not alone postnatal depression is very common.
  • mrsking218
    mrsking218 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just bumping up this thread.....I'm mid-struggle with PPD and would love to talk to anyone else who is dealing or has dealt with it in the past!
  • mzfernand0
    mzfernand0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly recovered and I had postpartum anxiety/depression. I'm on Lexapro and have had great success with it, besides the slight weight gain :/ I am 8 months postpartum. How about you?
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that, dear!

I don't suffer from PPD but I have dysthymia, a version of depression where not all symptoms are fullfilled, but the symptomes I have are there for several years.
    If you need help, support, motivation, someone you can rant to, just mail me/add me! :)