Need help for GAINING weight. High calorie food ideas plz

Options
Sd0510
Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
Hey guys. I have used this site for a while for help losing weight, but right now I need help with my grandmother. She was diagnosed with cancer in June, had it removed, and is currently undergoing chemo, but she is drastically losing weight (down 20 pounds, now at 127) and she is trying to keep it from going down further. I suggested a lot of things, but the problem is she can't eat large quantities of food due to her nature and her taste has been off lately.

I would like to know what are high-calorie foods that are in small quantities or foods that are easy to add to her normal meals, which don't consist of much. I am planning on getting her protein powder, whole milk, and nutrition drinks, but I want to know if there are any other things that I can add for her to help her gain weight, or at least stop losing. I am extremely grateful for any feedback or suggestions, and if you are trying to lose weight: do you know of any high calorie foods you ignore? Thank you so much for any advice you can offer.

Replies

• mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Most fats can be added easily to just about any recipe. Think cheeses, oils, nuts, etc.
  • Sd0510
    Options
    Thanks!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Nuts and avocados are both really healthy and have a lot of calories and fat. When my grandmother had cancer, her doctor actually recommended avocadoes because of this, and he said that they are easy to digest.
  • Sd0510
    Options
    Thank you so much! I didn't even think of avocados.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    delicious high fat and calorie but still healthy sandwich spread : avocades, mayo and a little olive oil. add seasoning like grated lemon and lime peel, garlic, red pepper, etc. mix in a food processor to smooth
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't have issues keeping things down (or constipation), definitely add dairy to things. Cottage cheese can be blended with SO many nutritious things, and you can also buy full-fat yogurt, sour cream, and cheese for additions. Even just adding some shavings of parmesan to her vegetables would go a long way.

Oatmeal is another versatile food for adding calories. If you use whole milk instead of water and add in a little bit of peanut butter and some raisins, you have a delicious, healthy, filling breakfast.

Avocados = yum. I don't have much experience with them, but the other had some great ideas. You could make an avocado spread and put it on whole wheat crackers or Rye Crisps.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    peanutbutter
    olive oil
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How is her appetite? Can she keep food down?

Ensure has some high-protein varieties. I have it on authority that the chocolate is better than vanilla or strawberry. The same authority liked homemade macaroni and cheese, and peanut butter sandwiches.
  • rickerred12
    Options
    I wouldn't give her protein powder. Meal replacement is a better idea, but the best way to go is whole foods that are fatty, peanut butter, avocado, cream (hard to digest), brewers yeast (taste like crap) and if she can't eat large meals, try to have her eat ofter.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Weight Gainer Powder to make shakes from milk or fruit juice..not as a meal replacement but as a supplement. she can drink it like crazy and has nutrients plus calories.I am surprised her food doesn't taste like metal. This stuff has 600 calories per about 8 ounces

Extreme Mass from SCI-FIT
    SciFit's Extreme Mass is one of the highest percentage protein "weight gain" products available; providing an astounding 33% of the calories from ultra absorbable whey protein. Each 152 gram serving supplies an impressive 50 grams of muscle building whey protein. To gain lean mass the body needs protein...a lot of protein!

I had chemo and had to use it to gain weight because everything (except liquids) tasted like metal
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and whole milk.

Both have a lot of calories, but both also have a fair armount of protein, which helps the calories have more of a meal-like effect in the body. Protein is the nutrient of recovery.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When my grandfather had cancer he really struggled to eat, so we got his doctor to prescribe some weight gain shakes. They were only 150 ml but had 400-500 cals and were really high in protein. He found out that he really liked them after they had been in the freezer for a few hours, so they were like ice cream and went down the throat easily. I can't remember the brand, but I'm sure the hospital can recommend you some.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    One thing my mom could eat was a smoothie/shake made with milk, peanut butter, and a banana. She also had supplement drinks like Ensure. That was about all she could eat because the chemo made her too sick for actual food.