weight watchers anyone?

Options
so clearly i can't do it on my own so i joined weight watchers yesterday. The meeting was fun and educational. the online tools are confussing, actually i find this site waaay better, especially when it comes to the message boards. I have a 24point max. Breakfast was easy and filling with kim's light wheat bagel, egg white with half lowfat cheese stick, and an apple at approx 4.5 points. not snacking till lunch was hard but i kept busy. Lunch was well , not so filling... smart one and greek yogurt a, cup low sodium veggie juice,approx 6 points, not to mention im still starving. Now i only have 12 points left for the whole rest of the day and it's only 2:15pm. Just now realzing....Wow i used to eat and snack a lot!! I hope i don't go over my points on my first day :( anybody ever done weight watchers?

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I havent but have thought about it. Do you only do it online or do you actually go to meetings?
  • nurseandi
    nurseandi Posts: 80
    Options
    I do both. they have a special going right now for the online and the personal meeting program. It's def keeping me on track but it sucking! I hope i get used to it. i just need my stomach to shrink and get used to eating less.
  • Bmoore12
    Bmoore12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW, but I just did it online. its a lot like this site, especially if you didnt go to the meetings. I had to eat 21 points a day, and I found myself cheating a lot, or not writing down the junk food I ate- which defeats the purpose entirely.

Good luck though! I heard that going to the meetings is very helpful
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers before and I think it's a great program. You'll be able to earn points once you start adding exercise. It's basically the same thing as this website just with points. Make sure you're eating lots of veggies and drinking water. And I'm not sure if they've changed things, but they used to have flex points - so you can add in a little more food with those each day. Good luck! :)

-valerie

ps - the only thing I didn't like about weight watchers is how everyone at the meetings seemed to push artificial sweeteners and garbage. I heard of someone eating an entire tub of fat free cool whip because it's zero points. Disgusting and not good for your body. Just my opinion.
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i have done wieght watchers. I lost about 20 punds on it. But i dont do it anymore, it got too expensive for me (im a teen mom in highschool) but i found that on this site i can still lose weight and i have a support system of people and when i havea question i dont have to wait untill the nect metting, just post a thread
  • nurseandi
    Options
    I agree with the artifical sweeteners! I was on my organic kick but it's challenging on WW, especially since im starting out with the"safe point" foods such as smart ones, or things with teh WW points on them. Often times the food endorsed by WW is filled with crap. I just got done reading Jillian Micheals" Master your metabolism", She would kill me!!
  • AndieRee
    AndieRee Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to do WW. Stocking up on veggies really helps. Try to have some with every meal. It'll help you feel fuller.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    One of the good points Weight Watchers makes is that you can snack constantly on vegetables since most of them are considered 0 points.

Try increasing your protein with your meals, lean protein helps keep you full. Eat lots of veggies.

You might also try the other plan that is just a list of certain foods you can eat as much as you want of until you get more used to the system? I'm sorry, I can't think of what it is called at the moment.

When I did WW I found a great cookbook at Costco that really helped me make filling foods. Also they had this binded cookbook at their store that had breakfast/lunch/dinner pages (all 1/3 of the page) and you could flip them back and forth until you found a combo of foods that worked within your points.
    The best thing about their recipes is that they were very very simple to make and always tasted good too.

Also, as much as I don't like the fact that she uses a lot of processed stuff, check out the Hungry Girl website. She bases the bulk of her recipes and such on the WW principals, well she used to. Not sure if she does now.

Good luck!
  • nurseandi
    Options
    I will def. be going produce shopping this weekend to get tons of veggies! I LOVE VEGGIES so i'll be stuffing my face with them to feel full for sure!! :-D
  • sallyrakow
    Options
    i just quit ww and am using this site...the closest meeting for me would be 20 miles and i just couldn't see paying $40/mo just for the online. i tried sparkpeople for a few days and then found this site. i did like the ww plan, just too costly for me right now since i also have a membership at curves...good luck and keep eating the veggies!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    ps - the only thing I didn't like about weight watchers is how everyone at the meetings seemed to push artificial sweeteners and garbage. I heard of someone eating an entire tub of fat free cool whip because it's zero points. Disgusting and not good for your body. Just my opinion.

I do weight watchers too. I find it pretty easy to follow the program and track on here. I don't use their site, I don't go to meetings. I hold myself accountable to weigh in on Fridays and I can get any info I need on here.

One thing I wanted to make sure you make note of, along the lines of what the poster above said, one serving of something might be zero points...the entire container will NOT be zero points. If a tablespoon of Cool Whip is 10 cals and 0 points, that doesn't mean that 5 tablespoons is zero points. You eat 5 tablespoons, that's 50 calories, that's one point. Know what I'm getting at? :smile:
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers online from june til dec and lost some weight (25 pounds). I liked their tools but honestly find the online stuff here to be just as good. And most of the recipes that i 'paid' to find on their database I've found posted on their public website. Annoying.

I will work but I found I lost better when I lowered my carbs/sugar.

I would watch the not eating til lunch thing. It did not work me, I ended up binging. I think also going for longer than 3 hours stifles your metaboslism. I like a yougurt, cottage cheese, 1/2 fibreone bar, almonds, 1/2 an apple etc as a mid morning snack.

Good luck!
  • nurseandi
    Options
    Yeah, agreed. i like this site better and like you said you can find everything that's on the WW site on a public site.
    As for the not snacking till lunch thing, i'm just trying to keep my points down because i know im going to need them. I only have 12 left and i'm going to an outing tonight... GREAT! I do have 35 weekly extra points but i'de like to pretend they don't exist, along witth the exercise points. I talked with the team leader at my local WW meeting and she has never aten her exercise points on purpose, if it happens, it happens. That's what im going for. Thanks guys!! I'll keep you posted. So far it's a challenge but kind of fun to be honest.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I've lost all my weight on Weight Watchers, and am still going to meetings. I love it! I only started coming here recently because I've been in a bit of a plateau for the last three months, and I thought if I could count calories I might see what was going on. (One of the things I like most about WW is that points are a little more 'vague' than calories, 1 point can be anywhere from 40-100 calories, so you don't get too obsessive about "whether this apple is 60 calories or 80?!?!" But sometimes you do need the more precise information that calorie-counting provides.)
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it is alot eaiser to control my calories by actually counting them instead of points. I understand what a calorie is and how long it takes to work it off. Points were alot eaiser for me to kinda write off and cheat. Plus it is just so expensive. Love this site for free!!!
  • divandisguise
    divandisguise Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i also used to do weight watchers online. lost about 20 pounds. but this site if free and has the same info and more. 1 ww point is equal to approx 50 calories. give or take for the fat and fiber. so, if you get 21 ww points that would be about the same as 1050 calories. the thing i like better about this site is you can really take a look at the types of foods that you are eating. do i get enough protein, am i eating too many carbs....... in my opion, this site takes weight loss to the next level and allows you to learn what foods work for you. my newest revelation is that i eat fairly well, but because i spurge one meal a week, i have been sabotaging my total weekly weight loss. now that i have pin pointed that, i hope to do better in my weight loss endevers.