What to do?

Options
corn63
corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
Through my total fault, I have an account in collections. Since I moved, i didn't get the letter (though it's dated 10/4) I received it Monday (10/28) because it had to go through the USPS forwarding address system blah blah blah. ANYWAYS.

So I had three options to pay:

- Online payment
- Send a check
- Call in and use a credit card or electronic check to pay

So first I tried the internet payment, the login info on the letter has apparently expired or does not work for logging me in. So that's out.

I called into the place, you can't talk to a real person. I was given the option of paying by CC or electronic check, but essentially what you leave is a voicemail. A voicemail with: Your delinquent account number, the amount owed, the company that the amount is owed to, my credit card number, my expiration date on the card, the security number on the back of the card, my mother's maiden name for security purposes and then you leave your number and name at the end in case there are problems. WTF? So I opted not to do that.

I'm thinking to send a check with a copy of the letter? That is a little bit easier to track? I have no idea. I've never had an account in arrears and like I said, totally my fault. Never thought I'd have to go through so much hassle to give a company 200 bucks. Oy!

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Send the check.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Just mail the check. They aren't going to ding your credit for being under a month late and in any case one bad month on one account doesn't make much of a difference.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Send the check by certified mail. No way in the world would I hand that kind of personal credit card info to a person over the phone, much less a machine.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Are you 100% positive you owe this debt? Is the debt being held by the original creditor or an agency? You should PM me about this because there are companies out there that try to scam folks though these types of letters.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the cheque is the way to go. At least the cheque is traceable through your bank and you're not giving personal info over to a robot!
  • sjwilliams706
    Options
    I work at a bank, and a lot of people (more than you would think) get checks lost in the mail.

It sounds like a tough situation. There is no way you can talk to an actual person?

Good Luck!!
  • corn63
    Options
    Are you 100% positive you owe this debt? Is the debt being held by the original creditor or an agency? You should PM me about this because there are companies out there that try to scam folks though these types of letters.

No ma'am. I owe this :) I'm sure of it. My old job paid me for PTO that I hadn't earned et. So now they want the money back that they paid me in error. Because apparently it's my fault? Whatever, I just want them to go away
  • corn63
    Options
    I work at a bank, and a lot of people (more than you would think) get checks lost in the mail.

It sounds like a tough situation. There is no way you can talk to an actual person?

Good Luck!!

I can leave a voicemail for some random person to call me back. I was given two options. Pay over the phone or leave a voicemail. This has got to be one of the jankiest collection agency ever. I cannot imagine leaving ALL that information in some random voicemail to hope that my account gets paid.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Send the check by certified mail. No way in the world would I hand that kind of personal credit card info to a person over the phone, much less a machine.

This is what I do, certified with a return receipt. I do this with anything dealing with the government.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Just break up (responding to title alone in stereotypical fashion).
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As janky (and I thought I was the only one used that word) as this agency is, get a money order instead of using your personal check, send it certified mail with return receipt, along with a copy of the letter. Make copies of everything. Hope it works out alright for you.