1 tbsp chili powder
    2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ~ 1/2 inch cubes
    2 celery sticks, cut into ~1/2 inch pieces
    2 medium carrots, cut into ~1/2 inch pieces
    1 container Vegetable Broth
    1 tbsp Curry powder
    2 tbsp Cumin
    Plain yogurt(optional)

In a large sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion and chili powder, cooking until lightly browned, stirring occasionally for ~3 minutes

Once onion is browned add sweet potatoes, carrots and celery. Cook for approx.10 minutes. (You may need to add a little more olive oil so it doesn't stick to the pot).

Next add the Vegetable broth, curry powder and cumin, bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

With a blender puree soup.

Serve with a spoonful of plain yogurt on top.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good curry powder?
  • urjfatima
    Options
    make your own curry powder, it is far more better than the market made, as it does nt contain any additive flavours, MSGs etc
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    make your own curry powder, it is far more better than the market made, as it does nt contain any additive flavours, MSGs etc

I did not know you can make your own. How? Do you have a recipe for the curry powder? I know some are really crappy but I'd gotten a delicious mix from grenada but I ran out while making dr weil's curried cauliflower soup.
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is my #1 favorite chicken recipe. It came from Dana Carpender's 500 Low carb recipes.
    Deviled Chicken

4 tbsp butter
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp curry powder (I use McCormicks)
    1 cut up broiler fryer (I use boneless skinless thighs)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees (I often just cook them at 350 since they're boneless)
    Melt butter in shallow roasting pan. Add Splenda, mustard, salt and curry powder. Stir until well combined.
    Roll chicken pieces in butter mixture until coated then arrange them skin sid up in roasting pan.
    Bake for 1 hr.

I have given this recipe to friends who love it as much as I do.
    4 servings - each with 5gms carbs, trace of fiber and 44 gms of protein.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've making this for years for my family.
    I don't follow a recipe so I'm going from memory.

2 tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion chopped
    2-3 tbsp flour
    1-2 tbsp curry powder or paste (depending on how strong you like it)
    4 cups fat free chicken broth
    1 can lite coconut milk
    cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts or leftover cooked chicken or turkey
    red pepper flakes (optional if like it spicy)

Saute onions in oil until translucent. Sprinkle in flour cook for 2 minutes, sprinkle in curry powder cook a further few minutes stirring constently. Add chicken broth stir thoroughly than add coconut milk and cooked chicken or turkey.
    Let simmer 20-30 minutes covered.
    Serve over quinoa or brown rice.
    Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, and if you want to make a beef curry just change the chicken broth to beef broth and chicken to beef.
    Red peppers, cabbage and additional vegetables can be added.
    And if wanting vegetarian curry use vegetable broth and tons of vegetables only.

Works everytime!
  • foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe and make it often: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cauliflower_red_lentil_curry.html

Omit the sugar. It doesn't need it.
  • fungirl2012
    Options
    bump
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of recipes online for curry powder, you can really make it to your taste. I rarely use it, though, and I cook a lot of Indian food, especially vegetables. I do keep a lot of spices like turmeric, coriander and cumin. You can make nice curries with these on hand.

I really like Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks, her recipes are easy to make and I've never had one that wasn't great. You can also find a lot of her recipes online, just google one or two of the ingredients you want to cook and Madhur Jaffrey and you will have a few things pop up.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Foodcart, that lentil and cauliflower recipe looks fantastic, thank you for posting it. Can't wait to give it a try.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love yellow curry and Tom Ka-Kai soup. I would suggest using the recipes above, but I also add extra Turmeric, Ginger, Siracha (hot sauce that has a rooster on the bottle), substitute light Coconut milk, and then add tofu and lots of veggies.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto

Most of my older posts have veggies and meat curry recipes.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    There is an excellent cookbook called How To Cook Indian-- I think the author's name is Kapoor. It has a great many recipes for different blends of spices as well as recipes using those blends. Any recipe I have ever made from the book has turned out excellent!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Curried Lentil Soup
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 medium carrot, finely chopped
    2 large garlic cloves, chopped, divided
    2 tablespoons (or more) curry powder
    1 cup French green lentils
    4 1/4 cups (or more) water, divided
    1 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    2 green onions, thinly sliced 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges

Ingredient info: French green lentils are small, dark green, and speckled with black; they can be found at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores.(I got them at my local Whole Foods.)

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add half of chopped garlic; stir until vegetables are soft but not brown, about 4 minutes longer. Add 2 tablespoons curry powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add lentils and 4 cups water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, puree chickpeas, lemon juice, 1/4 cup water, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and remaining garlic in processor.

Add chickpea puree and butter to lentil soup. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional curry powder, if desired. Add water by 1/4 cupfuls to thin to desired consistency. DO AHEAD: soup can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and refrigerate. Rewarm before continuing.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto

Most of my older posts have veggies and meat curry recipes.
    Thanks for keeping posting recipes, taunt. :)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Some of the Easiest I've seen.
  • urjfatima
    Options

I did not know you can make your own. How? Do you have a recipe for the curry powder? I know some are really crappy but I'd gotten a delicious mix from grenada but I ran out while making dr weil's curried cauliflower soup.

very sorry for that much late reply, i was busy, anyways you can make this curry powder at home, just make it, save it in a container and use it in your foods. i am also sharing another Pakistani style barbeque masala(powder) recipe, so you just have to marinade the meat with lemon juice or yogurt and masala and grill.

CURRY POWDER:

Ingredients:
    coriander seeds(roasted and then ground) 2 tbsp
    roasted cumin seeds(grounded) 1 tbsp
    fennel seeds(grounded) 1 tb sp
    mustard seeds (grounded) 1 tsp
    fenugreek seeds(roasted then grounded) 1/2 tsp
    black pepper(grounded) 1/2-1 tsp
    turmeric powder 1 tsp
    red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
    dry ginger powder 1 tsp
    green cardemom powder 1 tsp
    cinnamon powder 1 tsp

Method:
    - mix all the ingrediants and save in a container. Use according to your requirements in recipes

*Note: ground all the spices in coffee grinder

BBQ POWDER:

Ingrediants:

black pepper(finely crushed) 2 tb.sp
    black cardemom(powdered) 2 tb.sp
    cinnamon powdered 2 tbsp
    clove (powdered) 2 tbsp
    green cardemom 2 tbsp
    mace(ground) 2 tbsp
    nutmeg 1 medium (powdered)
    roasted cumin seeds 6 tbsp. (roast and then make powder)
    fennel seeds(lightly roasted then make powder) 4 tbsp
    Dry ginger powder 4 tbsp

MEthod:
    -lightly roast cinnamon and fennel seeds and gently roast cumin seeds and make their powder.
    -mix all of the powders and keep it in containers.
    -use this masala to make tikka's and other bbq meat
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump. love curry!