Running on ice?

Options
I just started running, and a few weeks ago I got some Asics 1170's that I love. Yesterday it started snowing, and today we have ice rain. I can't even walk on the sidewalk in these! I almost fell down my front steps, and I slipped just crossing the steet. Is this normal for running shoes? I see people jogging all winter, are there special shoes for running on snow? Cleats? I live in northern Alberta, so I'm in for 6 more months of this.. I'm a little sad my new shoes seem useless outside right now.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    go to a running store and get evaluated for the proper shoes - the people there will know what ones are best for your feet and for your climate, I suspect.

I, personally, love my Brooks.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    You can get Ice Cleats at Canadian Tire. They strap over your shoes. I haven't had a problem with them. The biggest problem I have is snow getting caught in my running shoes.

Running shoes =/= good winter footwear.
  • sunnygirl19
    sunnygirl19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, Canadian Tire or Costco (Brand I use is "Due North" and I have found them in Costco but not online) They fit snugly over the shoes and you can almost walk up walls with them!! lol

Beats slipping on the ice for our winter months. I'm in Manitoba so I get snow and Ice! Good luck :)
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That's what I did with these ones. They fit great, and all my pain is gone. It's the snow/ice issue that I'm dealing with now. I really can't afford another pair right now, so I hope I can make these work.
    go to a running store and get evaluated for the proper shoes - the people there will know what ones are best for your feet and for your climate, I suspect.

I, personally, love my Brooks.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Yes, Canadian Tire or Costco (Brand I use is "Due North" and I have found them in Costco but not online) They fit snugly over the shoes and you can almost walk up walls with them!! lol

Beats slipping on the ice for our winter months. I'm in Manitoba so I get snow and Ice! Good luck :)

... *suddenly wants to try walking up walls*
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    Ooh! Thanks! I had a pair of those the winter I was pregnant.. They worked great! (for waddling anyway, not jogging., lol). I gave mine away. I'll have to pick up another set. Thank you!
    You can get Ice Cleats at Canadian Tire. They strap over your shoes. I haven't had a problem with them. The biggest problem I have is snow getting caught in my running shoes.

Running shoes =/= good winter footwear.
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    Thank you!

• PamelaKuz
    Options
    HOLY CRAP!! Lol! But why? I mean, it's amazing to watch, but a broken bone seems like one second away!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I live in alaska.

If you dont want to by those strap on cleat things that have issues stay on, i have a lot of friends who do this:

Take the sole out of your tennis shoes.
    Screw in 8-15 small screws long enough so they poke out the bottomes of your shoe.
    Place your sole back in shoe.

It stay in all winter, dont have to worry about the cleat falling off. Only problem is you cant walk in the house in them of course.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've also been told about something called YakTrax. They're made for running, but should be used on snow, not ice just for comfort.
  • sjakma402
    sjakma402 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pick up YakTrax. They work great for running during the winter on ice & snow. I have been using them for years on a very hilly road and have never had any issues.

Here are a couple of links. Both work great.

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/run

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/pro
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Running on ice is something I would never try to do in any shoes. I think that's begging for an injury.
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    Thanks! I just looked these up, and I think I'm going to order a pair. They look great, and are only $45. Cheaper than a new pair of shoes for sure.
    I've also been told about something called YakTrax. They're made for running, but should be used on snow, not ice just for comfort.
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    Thanks! I'm totally getting some!
    Pick up YakTrax. They work great for running during the winter on ice & snow. I have been using them for years on a very hilly road and have never had any issues.

Here are a couple of links. Both work great.

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/run

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/pro
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    You are probably right, but where I live we're walking on packed snow or ice for almost half of the year. It's great for practicing crampon technique, but I figured running in those would be difficult, lol. Maybe if I come across a treadmill for cheap i'll do that instead.
    Running on ice is something I would never try to do in any shoes. I think that's begging for an injury.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lived in Minnesota for seven years and never had any special running shoes or cleats. I think you just got an ice storm; that is all. In a few days, the ice will be salted, or covered with snow, or whatever, and you can run.
    When you run, you have to avoid glare ice, but you know all about that. You run on the snow, or the clear pavement, or whatever.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP!! Lol! But why? I mean, it's amazing to watch, but a broken bone seems like one second away!

That's the Russian Olympic coach Nicolas Romanov, PhD, who developed the POSE style of running. obviously it does great things for balance and performance.

Cool, huh? :-)
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    YakTrax is the answer to your problem!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I lived in Minnesota for seven years and never had any special running shoes or cleats. I think you just got an ice storm; that is all. In a few days, the ice will be salted, or covered with snow, or whatever, and you can run.
    When you run, you have to avoid glare ice, but you know all about that. You run on the snow, or the clear pavement, or whatever.

Apparently by the OPs post before yours, they don't believe in Ice Melt up yonder.