How did you drop that last 20 lbs?

Options
I down to my last 20 lbs (or last 18 to be more specific) and the weight loss has slowed a bit for me. I wanted to know how you guys lost your last 20 lbs or so. Did you change anything about your diet/exercise routine compared to what you did before you hit the last 20. Looking for some tips/ideas/suggestions. Any suggestions are appreciated :smile: Thanks!

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I had to up my net calories; otherwise I would have no energy left. Weight loss IS slow on the scale, but size reduction did not slow down as much. I only had to lose 7.5 pounds to go down a size, whereas before, it'd take me like 15 pounds to do so.

The slowness is natural; don't fight against it. Be patient and stay dedicated. The results will come :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet, but I've been at this a long time. When things start slowing down (I haven't hit any actual plateaus yet), I change up my exercise routine. First, I started walking instead of doing nothing. Then I started running. Then I added biking. I plan/hope to add swimming this winter some time. I also, as I have lost weight, tightened up my calorie counting. I am more accurate in my intake and my output (due to an HRM for the output). I now subtract my BMR calories from my HRM burn to be more accurate. I still have splurges, but they're smaller and less frequent.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    but size reduction did not slow down as much. I only had to lose 7.5 pounds to go down a size, whereas before, it'd take me like 15 pounds to do so.

I think I'm starting to see this too. I just bought some size 10 pants maybe a month and a half ago. They were slightly tight. Now....after maybe 6 to 8 lbs...I think the 8s would be just slightly tight! Maybe I'll have to try it, just for fun :-)
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    it will be slower (and that is if you do it right). if you do it wrong (ie - starving yourself) - you'll lose alot of muslce. I did this once way back, and now that I see the final 20 coming up but I have room (I have maybe 40 total to go), I am tempted to keep doing cardio and no weights and to eat less, but I know at some point soon (if not 5 pounds ago) I need to start upping weights for sure, and becoming much cleaner with the diet (less carbs, more protein). less long cardio, more HIIT. and be super precise w/ calorie tracking. basically, I think if you up your strength training and eat to support it, you will have no problem in lowering the body fat % gradually, but it may take time (maybe even 6 months of fine tuning?).
  • rivera319
    Options
    keeping track of what i ate on here and also excercise. I just got done with Insanity and that helped me drop 15lbs. Just eat lots of protein and eat lean food
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'd like to hear the responses for this...
  • jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far everyone! Lots of helpful tips :)

I know the last 20 can be a slow process, but I'm pretty sure I've hit a plateau and am trying to find ways to improve what I'm doing. Really appreciating the suggestions so far!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Stress, tequila and men. just saying. Oh and lifting weights and clean eating too.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    bumped my calories up and hit the weights hard.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in the replies. Though I suspect, at least for me, I should add more strength training since I've been doing mostly cardio. I think doing both is key, and finding the right # of calories to take in. Anyway, hoping to learn more about this as I approach my goal weight.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You drop the last 20 pounds with LOOOOOOTS of patience. It's notlike the beginning of the weight loss journey, you pretty much have to re-write the rule book.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had to up my net calories; otherwise I would have no energy left. Weight loss IS slow on the scale, but size reduction did not slow down as much. I only had to lose 7.5 pounds to go down a size, whereas before, it'd take me like 15 pounds to do so.

The slowness is natural; don't fight against it. Be patient and stay dedicated. The results will come :flowerforyou:

Wow that is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! I would love to get down to even 120 and I salute you! You are an inspiration.....I also find the last 20 so hard because I always plateau and then it seems like eventually I gain back again from apathy and lack of sticking to it. THANKS FOR THE MOTIVATION!!!! :D
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You drop the last 20 pounds with LOOOOOOTS of patience. It's notlike the beginning of the weight loss journey, you pretty much have to re-write the rule book.

So incredible. CONGRATS TO YOU!!!
  • dj_bounz
    Options
    Personally I'm not there yet, but if you think you might have hit a plateau of some sort, try changing up your routine.

If you jog 3 miles a day, shoot for 3.5 every other day. Incorporate weight training if you haven't already. Add alternative exercises for different muscles, use different machines for cardio, try adding HIIT like p90X or Insanity etc...

Our bodies get used to what we put it through, so keep changing it up!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A moderate deficit (20% below TDEE), heavy weight lifting with some cardio, and eating whole lean foods = recipe for success. Also, don't focus on weight, focus on body composition. It is not uncommon for people to aim for an unrealistic weight goal. So figure out your body fat % and lets go from there.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here about the last 20. You need more food. If you are exercising a fair amount and looking to tone/build muscle, you need fuel.
    The scale should not be as important the closer you get to your goal. I recommend you take measurements, as to not get discouraged by the extremely slow weight loss.
    I have 10lbs left and in 2 weeks I have only lost half of a pound! But, the inches are still coming off which is more important to me than the number on the scale.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    BUMB!

I am down just about 40 pounds but have 14 to my goal. I am not stressing to much over the scale now that I am in a healthy BMI but I would like to lose as much as I can before the new year. I have a doctor appointment next week and I think I am going to request to see a nutritionist so I can adjust my goals now that things have slowed down. I just started insanity 2 weeks ago so I am hoping that kinda shocks my body as well. Good luck!
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am totally right where you are! These are the things that I am going to try:

Mix up the foods I am eating (same foods but different times or in a different order)
    Exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach
    Lift weights on my lunch break or after work (but at a different time than cardio)
    Eliminate sugar and white flour

Please keep me posted on your progress and I hope to be able to share great results!