How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    It is just me and my flea-motels (cats) but the 'my' grocery end is about $40 a week give or take some - I also buy jugged water for the coffee-maker and I buy bottled water to drink so that is added in there as well (I have very hard water). :flowerforyou:
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    I shop twice a month on a budget of $250 each time, so average $125 a week. I usually push that budget, but it includes everything (toiletries, cleaners, laundry stuff, etc). We also eat out too much, so all in all we spend way to much on food (husband, 8 year old and myself).
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    We spend about $150 a week for a family of 3. Our budget, like many others, includes toiletries, diapers, cleaning supplies, and so on.
  • imdamom
    imdamom Posts: 42
    Options
    There are 6 of us, plus a dog, cat, rabbit, hamster, bird and fish. Including all pet foods, household cleaning items, toiletries, food, etc., we spend $300 on our big shopping weekends and $125 on our little shopping weekends. Big shopping weekends are every other week alternated with the little weekends. We shop at Costco (they just closed our Sam's) and Walmart.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Costco...spent way too much, but couldn't resist all the great stuff.....$150. That will last for almost 2 weeks depending on how much my husband eats!! :laugh:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am impressed at how little you guys spend, but I am also buying for my daycare kids. It easily 200 or more each week at the grocery store. We go through a little over a gallon of milk a day so that is more than $15 per week just for milk.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me think I need to cut back on something! For myself, and my boyfriend we spend about $200 every two weeks on groceries & toiletries! We have a dog, but she's not too costly. I guess I need to find more bargains! We could definitely use the savings!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    We spend about $300 every two weeks, but still end up going back during the week for milk, produce etc.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    What a fascinating topic!!!!! :bigsmile:

We spend $80 a week for a family of 5 (two teens and a toddler, my hubby and me); does not include dog or turtle food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc; that's exclusively food.

We have a fantastic pantry, and a chest freezer; we stock up on good sale items, freeze meat when it's on sale, and buy lots of yogurt, fruit, veggies, oatmeal, peanut butter-and-jelly, cheese, etc that our kids can raid for breakfasts/snacks. We also shop by the best bargains - if Stater Bros has what we need or good meat sales, we shop there.... if we need bulk items, cheese, dry goods, etc we'll shop at Winco... every now and then we'll shop at Fresh And Easy.... and we use coupons when we can. A little planning goes a long way! :drinker:

Your grocery expenses sound like they're working for YOU, which is the most important thing.... great thing to avoid processed food and to go with the healthy options! :happy:
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    Well...I don't know how you guys all do it! We spend $200-$250 per week for a family of 5! Two parents, 3 daughters--ages 13, 11, and 8. I rarely buy any junk food but we do eat a lot of organic and healthy food. Unfortunately, that is probably what is costing us so much. So sad that we have to pay such a high price for pesticide free, hormone free, unprocessed healthy food! Our daughters also have to take snacks to school everyday...
    How nice it would be to have a Trader Joes closer to home!!! :wink:
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a family of four and a dog with a finicky stomach, and we spend $140 every two weeks, including HBA and paper goods. We don't eat out and my husband and son take lunches from home, so I shop multiple stores to get the best deals, shop the sale ads, meal plan, make a lot of things from scratch (yogurt, puddings, muffins, pancakes, etc.), and generally avoid convenience-type foods. Grocery shopping and keeping our expenses low is my forte :wink:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    3 of us in my household... and the dog and cat. We spend on average 150$ weekly - which includes household supplies, pet products and personal hygiene products as well.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well...I don't know how you guys all do it! We spend $200-$250 per week for a family of 5! Two parents, 3 daughters--ages 13, 11, and 8. I rarely buy any junk food but we do eat a lot of organic and healthy food. Unfortunately, that is probably what is costing us so much. So sad that we have to pay such a high price for pesticide free, hormone free, unprocessed healthy food! Our daughters also have to take snacks to school everyday...

Finally, someone who is closer to my boat. My husband and I, along with our 5 kids, we spend $400.00 per week. Although, diapers and wipes are about $150.00 per wk for my 4 kids in diapers, but the rest is on fresh produce and healthy meals. I rarely buy red meat, mostly chicken and or turkey. No junk food! That's not counting pet food or household cleaning items!

I do travel alot and found that it also depends on where you live. My cousin whom always spent $200.00 per wk in Detroit, MI area, just moved south of Chicago, IL and the exact same grocery is only costing her around $80.00 per week now!
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    I spend about $100 a week, including household items . Just me and a teenager here. She keeps drinking all the milk. Tomorrow I go shopping, I will try to get out of there without paying 100$.. That is a challenge for me, but i will give it go,.
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just came back from walmart and spent $63.00 for the week, but tomorrow i'll go to the dollar store where I buy our fruits and spend about $8 more. We are a family of 4
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm totally confused. Do you guys all shop only every other week? I usually shop 2-3 times / week. I just don't like vegetables hanging around longer than 2-3 days. After a week, they're definitely getting limp and crappy.

I don't usually buy much other than vegetables and soy products. Maybe a few tinned beans or something.

With that said, I'm off to the supermarket.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well, apparently having a 14 year old son, amps up the food bill quite a bit. Plus maybe having the parties for 20-30 people a couple of times a month may have a little bit of an impact. We spend $160 a week at Safeway, plus about $50 a week on average between trader joes and costco.:sad: :sad: That includes cleaning supplies, toiletries, and meat! Bleh, I think we need to go on a spending diet,:huh: :huh: Dairy alone is $30+ dollars a week. No eating out though!:noway:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, after reading these replies I'm spending way too much money on groceries. There's me and 6 kids, plus my grandbaby, and I spend on average, no joke, and this is WITHOUT toiletries, only food, $200. canadian a week...and usually I have to make a second trip mid week to restock, milk, eggs and bread. We go through roughly 90 eggs a week, sometimes more, 2 loaves bread a day, and 2 litres of milk day, insane!! But with four teenagers I just don't know how to stop em from eating everything in the house. They go as far as "heating" frozen mini pizzas on their x-box360 consoles, it sort of "cooks" em,,,ewwww
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

That's about what I spend, with me, husband, son 21, daughter 14, daughter 4, a large dog and a cat. We buy similar as above, and that amount includes ALL household products from food to paper to shampoos and cleaning products, animal food and litter. Everyone takes their own lunch (organic/healthy) and we all eat breakfast in addition to dinner. I go marketing once a week (Saturdays) and the 'trip' includes three stores/markets and 3-4 hours of shopping. Most of what I buy is organic, no hormones, nitrites, unprocessed, and as clean as possible. And it's probably 25-30% more expensive than the same products filled with unhealthy additives. I figure we're worth it, though.
  • mattysmom
    mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Okay I have read all these and am all most embarrassed! I spend a 1000$ a month on grocery's minimum. It's myself, hubby, and daughter. My only excuse is we use alot of organic food, it includes everything (Pet food for 7, household cleaners, paper goods, etc.) and we pack all of our meals for work and school, including drinks