question for women

Options
My period is about three weeks late. I dont know if this is because I started more intense exercise ( Ive been doing the 30DS and kickboxing). Before when I was doing straight cardio I had a normal period but now I am late. I am not pregnant I took a test ( three actually) and all negative. Also, I have been losing weight so thats an indication Im not pregnant too.

Ladies, did you experience this when you first started more intense exercise?

Thank you!

Ani

Replies

• CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was running a lot more and had dropped some weight. I lost my period for almost a year, and like you, took multiple pregnancy tests that all came out negative. I wasn't until I put some of the weight back on that my period came out. It took about 4 months for my periods to stabilize. That was over two years ago. I've recently upped my mileage again but have also upped my calories a bit - so far, my periods are still normal.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Its time to talk to your doctor.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also, I have been losing weight so thats an indication Im not pregnant too.

Actually, it's not unhealthy to actually LOSE weight during the first few weeks (or maybe even the whole first trimester? It's been a while since I learned about it) for you or the fetus.

But you are probably not pregnant. Pregnancy tests are legit, and physical activity + diet definitely messes with things. Wait a few more weeks, take another test, and if it's still late talk to your doctor if you are still worried.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me and a couple of my MFP friends. Apparently their doctors said when you make a serious change in exercise or eating your hormones get out of whack. For me, I went 6 weeks in between periods when I started working out daily/doing Insanity. If you're back to normal next month, you should be fine. If not, see your doctor.

ETA: Clarification... 6 weeks between just happened once, right when I changed things up, that didn't become my new normal.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy tests are accurate, but it's not unheard of to have a false negative. They are far more common than false positive.

It's time to call the doctor.