quiting smoking Nov.1

Options
is anyone here planing on quiting or have recentl quit,,would like some moral support and willing to give support to those who need it,,I need to be held accountable,,I am so done with smoking ,got patches but not sure I am going to use them,I have quit before,the longest was just over a year smoke free,I have smoked since I was a kid.,,a pack a day..please help by adding me

Replies

• Yogi261288
    Options
    i am a recent quitter, I was a 20-40 a dayer for 10 years...Last cig was January 22nd. Previously I had tried everything, the patches, hypnosis, the gums, the inhaler (you get the idea :-)). I actually ended up being totally hooked on the gums, I still crave them more than I do cigs. I read "Allen Carr's Easy Way", I wouldn’t put the success entirely down to that but it certainly helped get my mind in the right place. I think if you are really ready to give up try not to prolong it with replacements. For the first three days I really didn’t think about it, I found if I didn’t make it a big deal it really wasn’t. I tried my best not to put myself in any stressful situations for the first week. Believe that you can do it and make it a small mountain in your head not a colossal one and it will be a doddle– feel free to send me a message if you need any help
  • dtiapril
    Options
    I quit on October 1st and it hasn't been too bad, I went down the electronic cigarette route. I'm a big geek so I've just convinced myself that I've not actually quit, I'm just smoking the techy way!

I'll ween myself off the nicotine eventually but real cigs now smell terrible to me and I wouldn't want to go back to all those bad chemicals.
  • littlemsmetal
    Options
    I quit almost a year ago, the first step is the hardest but you've got this dude!
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    +1 for Allen Carr's book.

Forget about Nov 1, get the book, read it and stop when you are finished. I had a few days of nicotine withdrawal but really no probs after that.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Am another advocate of Allen Carr - read the book, ditch the patches and keep reminding yourself why you want to be a non-smoker. I'm a year and a half quit and will never look back. You're in the right place also; replace your smokes with exercise, not food!
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    I love this!!!! Good luck baby! I can't wait to see you do it
  • inlovewiththeideas
    Options
    Ooooh, best of luck! It's never easy but you can do anything if you keep your focus and determination. Rooting for you. :)
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    +1 for Allen Carr's book.

Forget about Nov 1, get the book, read it and stop when you are finished. I had a few days of nicotine withdrawal but really no probs after that.

This! I stopped just over a year ago and never looked back. Most fulfilling book I have ever read. Good stuff!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my last cigarette was november 1st. no more. i've quit before, even for months on end, and something will make me go back to smoking.

not any more.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It'll be two years for me on the 6th. Good vibes being sent to you!!!
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am quitting by Christmas. Starting C25K again to give me extra motivation. Last time I did it I quit so I could run better and actually breath but then like most smokers I made excuses to smoke again.
    Good luck to you. Keep us posted!
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 weeks ago again,my first quit was Feb 2012,picked up again in Sept during a trip...i quit again and hope to stick to to.

I plan to drop 40 pounds,stay smoke free and buy my dream car.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I really want to quit soon, but since I've recently started counting calories, am currently on Day 1 with no soda and am no longer eating past 7pm, I feel like I've quit enough things just now, lol. So I'm hoping to go with the new years resolution route! Especially since we smoke outside, and I always smoke less in the winter months anyway!
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    well the first day was a bust,,did good till around lunch time ,then walking home found a full pack of smokes..so needless to say,,wasnt hard to say that I should have one instead of throwing them out,,finished off that pack and started the quit thing the next day,,guess it wasnt out of my system yet,,so now I havent had a smoke since I woke up Nov.2..it nov 3 now and almost bed time..just want to get past the 3rd day ,,its always the hardest for me..so far so good and havent been eatting to replace it,,using toothpicks to keep my hands busy..thanks for all the encouragement here,,,got this ..this time
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Wtg!!!!!! That's further than I've ever made it!!!!!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    You will only succeed if you, heart mind and soul, HATE smoking. You need to smell cigarette smoke and make your nose crinkle, or cough in disgust. You need to feel guilty EVERY TIME you light up, because it is eating you up inside that you are going against your will. You need to have goals, and MAJOR reasons for quitting, not just because you want a better lifestyle, and not one ounce for someone else, even your own kid. If you want to quit for your kid, you need to quit for yourself because it is something you truly want, not something that is best for the kid and you should just do it based on that reason.

I am 33 days in, and I am smoke free for the first time since I was 13. I have tried 2 other times, but both times I failed because of this. You also need to be in a less stressful situation, which I am in (or otherwise be able to decrease the stress). Stress is the number one trigger to smoke again. Trust me, I have been dealing with the CA Unemployment Department. I know this.

I am hereby a non smoker. I no longer think of lighting up, I am running farther and faster on the treadmill than I have ever been able to in my whole life. I am loving this. You can have it too, but you have to dig deep and decide this is not what you want.

You WILL gain weight for a little while. Naturally, because you eat more. You have to be okay with that. you have to be okay with gaining 10-15 lbs from eating junk, because you will depend on it for a few weeks. If you are not okay with that, then you are not ready to quit.

As a side note: every time I gained a pound, I just said: "it is okay, because guess what? I AM SMOKE FREE." Body weight can be lost. Cancer can't.

As far as the patches go, the chemical need is strongest for the first week or two. But after that, it is all psychological. There came a point where I just forgot to even thing about smoking in the morning when I sip my coffee. It is f-in awesome!

Good luck dude. I just spend a weeks worth of cigarette funds at the movies yesterday. Had me 2 great movies, a huge tub of popcorn and an extra large Diet Coke. Was very rewarding for my 30 day eclipse!