who likes artichokes?

Options
i'm making an artichoke, red pepper and feta dip on saturday, but i'd love some new ideas on what you do with yours. does anyone make hummus or pesto with theirs? what is the best method for preparing it (for the pesto; i normally steam) - steaming, baking, boiling or grilling? thanks!

Replies

• somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I adore artichoke, although I usually use the canned hearts rather than preparing from fresh (lazy and extra sodium, I know).

My favourite is artichoke pesto pasta: lots of basil leaves; artichoke hearts; a little parmesan, maybe some pinenuts and a dash of EVOO all blended together and stirred through some pasta.

That dip of yours sounds very yum!
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    i like to take whole artichokes, cut them in half, spray each side with olive oil and then cook 'em on the grill until a bottom leaf pulls loose easily!!!! then make some garlic aioli dipping sauce to dip the leaves in and wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am...you got yourself something yummy!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Artichokes are delish.

I recommend using an eletric knife if you have one to cut off the stems, then to trim down the edges, after that soak them in cold water and lemon juice for at least an hour, after that steam them in a pan or steamer with water and lemon juice for at least 2 hours, (sometimes I add olive oil and parsley to the water when I make stuffed artichokes and steam them for over 3 hours).
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was given a great artichoke recipe not long ago. It's 2 cans of artichoke hearts, quartered (in water, no salt, etc), 1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oit and 1/4 teaspoon salt. A serving size is 1/4 cu[ and is only 59 calories per serving and only has 3.3g of fat. I take it to parties and people always rave about it.

I also steam full artichokes until they're soft and the outer leaves fall off easily...and then dip in sauce that isn't very good for you.
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    I have never had fresh architokes before because they never have them at my regular store.
    I love marinated artichokes in a jar! But they are not great for you because they are marinated in oil.....
    I cut up about 3 of them and put them on a pesto pita pizza with feta, spinach and tomatoes. Sometimes chicken too. SSSOOOOO good.
    Another thing I have done is mixed them with light mayo and parm cheese, scoop the mixture on sliced French bread and put it in the oven to crisp. Like bruchetta. This one was pre-diet though, but it isn't that bad if you watch your portion sizes. I have made these at parties and they are the first things gone.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love artichokes! Though I've never done anything with them besides boil them, and eat them with mayo.

I'd like to try making hot spinach / artichoke dip though, if I can find a good low-calorie recipe.

We tend to make pizza every couple weeks, and chicken & artichoke is definitely on the todo list.

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody's ideas.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Where I'm at, there's a restaurant that makes a to-die-for stuffed artichoke! omg... but it's a BEAR to do at home because you're stuffing each individual leaf, as far in as you can go and man - the pricklies... ugh! I think I've only attempted to do this a couple of times and I have NO idea how bad it is for you. The stuffing consists of breading of some sort, garlic, parsley, a bit of salt and pepper, and probably a few more seasonings. The mix gets shoved way down in there too so it doesn't fall off so easily when you pull the leaves off and I believe they're both baked and steamed (steamed before stuffed,almost cooked all the way - baked the rest of the way after stuffed).

All done with the leaves, clean out the heart and you have an amazing post-appetizer appetizer. YUM!! One of my most favorite foods in the world.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love artichokes! Though I've never done anything with them besides boil them, and eat them with mayo.
    I agree, that is just the best. Unfortunately, mayo is off my list. Dang.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I agree, that is just the best. Unfortunately, mayo is off my list. Dang.

i have never tried it with mayo (unless you count mixed in the dip). i will have to try that! have you tried making your own mayo?
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I gave the artichoke pizza a try tonight and it turned out great.

Spinach, artichoke, chicken pizza with alfredo sauce, garlic, onion, tomato, bell pepper, feta & mozarella.

The crust is the default Kitchen Aid crust recipe, halved to yield a thinner crust (and less calories).

241.6 calories per slice (1/8th of a pizza).

4415782157_b7edbb36c2.jpg
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    cmw72 - WOW That looks so goooodddd....
    Yours does look very yummy. If you like pesto sauce I would recommend trying that sometimes. It adds so much flave. I dont use mozarella on mine and I dont even miss it.
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Oh and I just use whole wheat pitas for the crust. Wraps not the pockets as there are more cals and you don't even notice a differance in taste.