Scaammm!!

Options
Why does everyone think that weight loss programs that all of them are scams okay some are but not all of them some can really change people's lives maybe some people do need help and a little push and cant do it the traditional way of just work out and eat more or less.... what do you guys thinkk????:)

Replies

• tiffd1000
    Options
    I don't think all are scams... different strokes for different folks! Not everyone's body is the same... only thing I wonder is if once you are "done" with the weight loss program ... will it come back or does is stay off.

Me personally, I am cheap in certain areas... don't wanna pay for Weight Watchers, Nutrasystem, Jenny Craig ect... The things I think are scams are those "Ab Tone Belts".. hahaha
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i am not doing any of those im a dooingg a lifestyle program.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't think all are scams... different strokes for different folks! Not everyone's body is the same... only thing I wonder is if once you are "done" with the weight loss program ... will it come back or does is stay off.

Me personally, I am cheap in certain areas... don't wanna pay for Weight Watchers, Nutrasystem, Jenny Craig ect... The things I think are scams are those "Ab Tone Belts".. hahaha
    This ....
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Medifast? Don't kid yourself.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Probably because a lot of us tried (insert expensive crazy diet program here) before figuring out that it really is all about a calorie deficit.
  • mikka050
    Options
    I do Intermittent Fasting, does that count? It's great and has really helped me to stop bingeing.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I tried Advocare in february. Cost me like $80, and I only lost like 2lbs in the whole 24 days.

I tweaked my macros, and I lost 4.8lbs in a week...8lbs that month. I KNOW I didn't spend $80 that month!
  • mjbauer
    mjbauer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did Jenny and absolutely loved it, it really worked for me. I lost almost 60 pounds on it. But all it is is portion controlled premade food. But it was exactly what I needed, something that was easy and required little thought.
    Different programs are going to work for different people, when it comes down to it the only real way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume, so this can be done many different ways with programs or without.
  • Leosatena
    Options
    What is intermedit fasting? I am having probables with the binges but don't know how to stop. maybe that will help me.
  • mikka050
    Options
    For Intermittent fasting have a look at www.leangains.com and www.rippedbody.jp

I now eat between 1pm and 8pm and have gone from being a chronic night time nibbler to being in control and being able to say no most of the time.

Oh and it's FREE!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I think paragraphs are hard to read without periods.

Some diet programs are good, if its something you can sustain for the rest of your life. Thats the way I look at it.
  • mrsfickle
    mrsfickle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Scam because the secret to dieting (staying slim) is calories! I can't list the ways I have tried to lose weight and some work- for a while. MFP is the ONLY thing that works for me!
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers online about 10 years ago. It worked ok but unless it has improved a lot since then, MFP is a lot better and free to boot.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    For Intermittent fasting have a look at www.leangains.com and www.rippedbody.jp

I now eat between 1pm and 8pm and have gone from being a chronic night time nibbler to being in control and being able to say no most of the time.

Oh and it's FREE!

I did the Fast 5 for a few weeks and lost 16 pounds. But I quit for some reason. Not sure if I could eat like that forever (apparently not) It did teach me a lot about discipline.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Programs like Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem are good for people who don't really want to take the time to learn how to understand calories, proteins, carbs, etc in the foods they eat. I got a life-time membership to Jenny Craig like 12 or 14 years ago (I heard later they wished they hadn't done that as they really lost a lot of money on it!) but only used the program formally for one week. The food was way expensive and you still had to supplement with other things. It would have cost me close to $350/month for myself, and at the time, my daughter was only 6 and this didn't include anything for her! So I read all the labels on the foods I did buy and just kind of gauged what I bought based on that info. Which is kind of similar to what this site does, in my opinion. It makes you aware of what you are eating so you make better choices!

Dumb, stupid stuff like using pills that claim you will loose 25 pounds in 4 weeks are a scam. Where do we send the flowers when you have that heart attack? You are loosing precious muscle mass on these kinds of things and people who buy into this really are in for trouble!

I have no clue where products like Sensa get their promotional ideas from, as in my opinion you can loose five pounds a month just eating better (their claim is 30 pounds in six months). Psychological tricks? Who knows!

I agree with those that have said "life style" change is the way to go for long term effects.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Maybe scam is too harsh of a word, but it's pretty close. They just prepackage meals for you and then charge you extra. That's pretty close to a scam to me.

Diets changes are for life. Are you going to do the Lifestyle Foods™ diet for life? No? Then what are you going to do when you reach your goal weight? Learn to eat properly, you say? Why not just do that now and save the $$?

That's why people tend to call these things scams. You spend the money and you end up putting back on the weight because you never learned to eat correctly. It happens a thousand times a day.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think that diet "programs" are nothing more than a re-packaged and colorfully presented version of eating less and exercising more. Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. How you go about that is more or less immaterial.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options

This for me. I dont want to pay for ww or any other programs food for the rest of my life. So for me the best thing to do is a life change where I can eat what I want, fixed how I want. I eat a lot of produce, which means my meals change as do the seasons. I have never done ww. but I do not believe they eat fresh produce. soooo, just me. but>
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Most weight loss programs that cost you money and have you buy THEIR products are setting you up to fail. Most of those places get major business from repeat customers. They don't WANT you to succeed. The best success (and most rewarding) comes from something you have planned and executed yourself.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Diets changes are for life. Are you going to do the Lifestyle Foods™ diet for life? No? Then what are you going to do when you reach your goal weight? Learn to eat properly, you say? Why not just do that now and save the $$?

I was looking into a weight loss program my health insurance company sponsors, thinking that some free advice from a nutritionist would be helpful. Then I saw they wanted participants to buy their expensive protein shakes and some other unnecessary stuff. If a program like that actually helps people make positive changes, that's super, but I'd rather spend that money on extra vegetables and exercise equipment.