Which is better?

Options
Recently I have been burning more calories than in the past due to increasing the intensity and frequency of my workouts and I'm finding that I often have about 200 (give or take) calorie left over at the end of the day, but have maxed out on carbs (goal is set at 140g before exercise), and usually am close on sodium (goal is set at 1800 per day). So, I'm often stuck with a decision- eat all of my calories but go over on carbs and/or sodium, or not eat all of my calories? I try to plan ahead better, but I'm gluten-intolerant so I eat a lot of fruit (carbs!), yogurt (carbs!), rice cakes (carbs!). I do not eat junk hardly at all (any more! :wink: )

I currently have my goals set at : 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.

Should I be leaving 200 (sometimes even more :ohwell: ) calories left over at the end of the day (to avoid going over on sodium and/or carbs), or go over on carbs/sodium but get my calories in- which is the better decision?

Is it ok to consume extra sodium on days where I workout hard (and sweat a lot:sick: )?

Are certain carbs "worse" than others (like sugar from a Snickers bar is worse than sugar from an apple)?

Just looking for some thoughts... thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    do you meet your fat goal? maybe try spreading some unsalted peanut butter on those rice cakes...that'll get you those 200 calories easily!
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    And definitely, you should have the apple instead of the Snickers.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Well, I think the extra sodium is fine if you drink a lot of water. If I remember correctly there are only a few conditions (high blood pressure maybe? I can't remember exactly) that have to be extremely strict on sodium. You're young and healthy, so you should be fine. :smile:

As for carbs, unrefined carbs are much better than refined carbs. Here is a link to describe the differences: http://womenshealth.about.com/od/fitnessandhealth/a/detoxdiet.htm

I'm sure though where you get your carbs (from being gluten free) they are probably mostly good carbs. Since you are an endurance runner too though, I don't think going over carbs would be much harm. :smile:
  • JackandJill
    Options
    I have the same problem so I wish you luck in this search. It seems like I always have extra calories but nothing else.... and I can't think of anything to eat that will use up just those....
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Emily: yes I generally meet my fat goal (and yes, it's usually due to my obsession with peanut butter :love: )

Twentyten: yes, I know the apple is better than the Snickers- I was using it to illustrate an example :tongue:

Steph: Thanks for the link. My carbs mainly come from fruit, yogurt, and rice cakes. All "healthy" but carbs nonetheless!

JackandJill: Glad I'm not alone! :wink:

I just got the latest issue of Runner's World today (right after I posted this thread!! :laugh: ) and it has a whole article about a runner's diet- it totally answered my question for me! It says: 50 to 55% carbs, 25 to 30% fat, and 15 to 25% protein. Since I either run or do a weights and cardio combo 6 to 7 days a week, I guess it wouldn't hurt to up my carbs. So I think I'd adjust my goals accordingly.

Sounds good, right? :huh:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I thought the carbs would be fine because of the running. :tongue:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Kelyn: If you are getting enough fat and carbs then perhaps you should up your protein a bit...nothing crazy...maybe soup with some lean meat and vegies would give you the extra calories that you may need AND keep you warm on chilly evenings. Just a thought!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I thought the carbs would be fine because of the running. :tongue:

That's what I'm thinking- I really do not eat any "junk" carbs- no pasta, white bread (since I can't have bread at all!), sweets, etc. I'm obsessed with fruit, yogurt and rice cakes, though- all carbs... but not junk!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Kelyn: If you are getting enough fat and carbs then perhaps you should up your protein a bit...nothing crazy...maybe soup with some lean meat and vegies would give you the extra calories that you may need AND keep you warm on chilly evenings. Just a thought!

I was actually thinking I was getting more than enough protein... today for example, I'll end the day with 105 grams... does that sound like plenty? :huh:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Emily: yes I generally meet my fat goal (and yes, it's usually due to my obsession with peanut butter :tongue: )

Twentyten: yes, I know the apple is better than the Snickers- I was using it to illustrate an example :tongue:

Steph: Thanks for the link. My carbs mainly come from fruit, yogurt, and rice cakes. All "healthy" but carbs nonetheless!

I just got the latest issue of Runner's World today (after I posted this thread) and it has a whole article about a runner's diet- it totally answered my question for me! It says: 50 to 55% carbs, 25 to 30% fat, and 15 to 25% protein. Since I either run or do a weights and cardio combo 6 to 7 days a week, I guess it wouldn't hurt to up my carbs. So I think I'd adjust my goals accordingly.

Kelynn- I have mine set at 45%/35% protein/20% fat. I may up my carbs though since I have been running alot more lately. If you are doing strength training I think you should go on the higher end of the protein. Protein is what your body needs to build muscle.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Emily: yes I generally meet my fat goal (and yes, it's usually due to my obsession with peanut butter :tongue: )

I just got the latest issue of Runner's World today (after I posted this thread) and it has a whole article about a runner's diet- it totally answered my question for me! It says: 50 to 55% carbs, 25 to 30% fat, and 15 to 25% protein. Since I either run or do a weights and cardio combo 6 to 7 days a week, I guess it wouldn't hurt to up my carbs. So I think I'd adjust my goals accordingly.

Kelynn- I have mine set at 45%/35% protein/20% fat. I may up my carbs though since I have been running alot more lately. If you are doing strength training I think you should go on the higher end of the protein. Protein is what your body needs to build muscle.

I've been doing some weights, but just light weights with lots of reps. Maybe I'll up the protein a little bit. Thanks, Nicole!

I suppose it's all relative- a day that I'm slightly over on carbs, I wouldn't be if I had adjusted my goals just a tiny bit different, so I guess I'll give this a try for a bit and try not to get *too* hung up on being over on carbs/fat by a small amount.

Nicole, when you up your carb percentage are you going to have that come out of fat or protein? That's my problem- making everything balance. I want to up the protein without decreasing the fat or carbs! :tongue: :laugh:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

I've been doing some weights, but just light weights with lots of reps. Maybe I'll up the protein a little bit. Thanks, Nicole!

I suppose it's all relative- a day that I'm slightly over on carbs, I wouldn't be if I had adjusted my goals just a tiny bit different, so I guess I'll give this a try for a bit and try not to get *too* hung up on being over on carbs/fat by a small amount.

Nicole, when you up your carb percentage are you going to have that come out of fat or protein? That's my problem- making everything balance. I want to up the protein without decreasing the fat or carbs! :tongue: :laugh:

I am probably going to take it out of my protein. I never hit anyway and I am not strength training like I used to and I could if I could afford a gym membership.:grumble: