Marathon training advice

Options
I'm training for my first marathon, on Nov. 10. Unfortunately, the island where I live was in Sandy's path and my training schedule got derailed a bit. My town's still cleaning up debris from the streets and there's flooding here and there, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get outdoors for a long-ish run in the next day or two. I can do shorter runs indoors at the local Y, assuming they've re-opened.

I did my 20 mi. long run a bit over a week ago, so I'm in tapering mode now, but I missed a 12 mi. run and one shorter. Should I try to make this up, or just let it go and get back on schedule when I can?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :drinker:

Also, with regard to the storm, I realize it's a luxury being able to ask such a question now - my heart goes out to everyone much more greatly affected than I am!

Replies

• jaimesoo
    jaimesoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I say to just continue on where you are - now that you have gotten in your 20 you are on the taper, like you said, so just keep going from here and do what you can. This is a tough situation! You need to keep your muscles warmed up so don't stop - the more the better but do what you can. Congrats!! And ENJOY!!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I think "ENJOY!!" needs to become my mantra :) I'm so nervous about my first full just because of what it is, that with this training hiccup my anxiety's kicked in. ...enjoy, and get movin', repeat...
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Let it go.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yep, just pick up where the schedule is now. You aren't going to gain any additional fitness before the race, but you can make yourself less prepared by trying to make up runs that you missed. The extra rest may even help a bit.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what you missed. You did your 20 and need to rest up for your upcoming race. I've only done 2 marathons, but for the first one I had to really taper off leading up to the race because my IT band was killing me. I'm not sure that I even got my 20 before the race. I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to finish the race. I did and I was fine. You will be too. A lot of the marathon is mental toughness. I would just pick up where you left off in your training schedule.

Good luck on your race!
  • KLo924
    Options
    Thanks, all! Looks like hopping back on my schedule is the way to go, and I'll try to just relax about it lol
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Far too late to make up for it. You need to be more focused on winding down and making sure any nagging injuries heal up before the race.

Good luck, post your results when you finish. I ran Boston in 2000 and it was truly a great experience.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yep, just pick up where the schedule is now. You aren't going to gain any additional fitness before the race, but you can make yourself less prepared by trying to make up runs that you missed. The extra rest may even help a bit.

This.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It is best to be rested. Missing the last run could help you. Which marathon will you be running? Good luck and prayers sent to the folks in your area.
  • KLo924
    Options
    Thanks again, all!

I'll be doing the Richmond marathon, and will check in when it's over! My goal this time is just to finish. I'll work on time for the next... if all goes well, in March in DC :)

And thanks, stingrayinfl - my little island got hit bad but everyone survived, and most if it's a lot drier today; it could've been so much worse!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, all!

I'll be doing the Richmond marathon, and will check in when it's over! My goal this time is just to finish. I'll work on time for the next... if all goes well, in March in DC :)

And thanks, stingrayinfl - my little island got hit bad but everyone survived, and most if it's a lot drier today; it could've been so much worse!

Two summers ago, I ran part of the Richmond course with the marathon training group down there. It's a beautiful course. Take in the scenery, especially the view as you cross Penny Bridge. Have fun!
  • abhishek2610
    abhishek2610 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi

It is great trying for marathon run .you should go with interval traing .it increases your aerobic capacity .before trying for aerobic phase ..

Go light but consistent on diet .drink lot of water .last but not the least have a nice sleep .
  • KLo924
    Options
    Hi

It is great trying for marathon run .you should go with interval traing .it increases your aerobic capacity .before trying for aerobic phase ..

Go light but consistent on diet .drink lot of water .last but not the least have a nice sleep .

I've actually been doing interval training for distance (on long runs I jog 3-4 minutes and walk 2). I plan to do sprinting intervals to build speed after I've established this distance. Somewhere along the lines someone told me to work only on distance or speed when you're new to running (not both at once), and I stuck to that. So - I'll very, very slowly cross this finish line; but I think I'll actually do it! :)

I'm glad you mentioned sleep - I'm very worried about getting enough sleep in the next week or so. I'm an insomniac from time to time, especially the night before a race. Does anyone have tips for dealing with that? I keep trying to remind myself that it's all up to my training now - I got that in and I'll be okay, but it's hard!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options

This.

Double this. Do not try to catch up on the missed runs.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options

This.

Double this. Do not try to catch up on the missed runs. I think it is going to be a very memorable marathon. Let us know how it went.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am in the some boat as you (no pun intended). My marathon is a little further off (nov 18) but I haven't run since last week. I missed my weekend runs prepping for sandy and have not gotten out yet. I completed my 20 miler but had a 22 miler scheduled last weekend that I missed. I think I will be fine. I am hoping to get a run in tomorrow.