Life before weight loss/calorie obsession

Options

Replies

• Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've suddenly realised the number one thing on my mind is calories, food, gym, burning off, what I can/cant/portion size...At work, the gym, socializing, when my mind wanders, while I'm in meetings ect....

I've a long way to go but I cant stop thinking about every aspect of food/drink/gym...is there a way to switch off for a short time or is that when "snackcidents" will happen??!

Its important to me so I want to think about it, but I'm not sure what the happy medium is now....

I've always been a bit like that for money (I'm Jew-ish, unsurprisingly). And now I'm turning that way towards food as well so my two obsessions have to duke it out, and often combine. "If I value my time at X dollars per hour, how much money would it take to burn off those 'free' work snacks?" I calculated that, if it takes me an hour to burn 500 calories, and I value my time at $25 an hour, then every "free" 100 calories actually costs FIVE DOLLARS. There's currently a pile of 230 calorie packet of cheezits taunting me in the kitchen at work. But are they worth over $10 each? Heck no!

It's a recent change in thinking that I'm still trying to get used to, but it will be interesting once the change is complete. Currently I'm more calorie obsessed than money obsessed.

I think that, with time, it won't be so distracting, there will be a better money/calorie/other thoughts balance. If it's anything like my money obsession it will still be there in the background all the time, and will still be on your mind, but it will mostly be your dominating thought when it's applicable (like when at a restaurant, or when grocery shopping, or when at the gym).
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would say that when it starts to rule your life--you avoid social outings, family gatherings, or holiday--because you want to control your food intake or exercise then you have a REAL PROBLEM and should step away for a while. At the end of the day this is food, weight, and exercise we're talking about and that should come 2nd, 3rd, 4th to your actual LIFE (kids, s.o., work, family, etc).

100% agree, I did think it sounded a bit dramatic - my family and friends are still number 1, its just food/weight seems to be 1.5 - which on the grand scheme of things is still a bit too demanding for my comfort levels! :-/
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I just stopped logging. There's a bit of a learning curve, but focusing on honoring your hunger and intuitive eating helps a lot.
  • QuietLegs
    Options
    For me, I embrace the obsession of it. I always obsess over things I'm passionate about. I'm just glad that this time it's over healthy things - running, cycling, proper eating and nutrition, etc. Used to be things like MMORPGs. Thanks a *lor*, WoW and FFXI.

Now instead of wasting time on things that basically get me nowhere, I spend my time building energy and willpower, which I apply to work, family, and friends.

I've never been happier to be obsessed about my health.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't look at it as an obsession, but rather a commitment to a healthier lifestyle. I think being aware of what you're putting into your body and how much is absolutely necessary to make needed changes. If you're finding yourself anxious all the time, you may want to cut yourself some slack and know that you CAN eat unhealthier food in moderation. You don't always have to be "on", but just keep track of it as best you can. If this lifestyle is to be sustainable, then it needs to be a balanced one. if you are going out to eat, check out the restaurant's menu online before you go. Pre-planning, when available, can reduce a lot of anxiety when you can't control all the variables. If food is an addiction for you, then yes, you may need to avoid people and places, that trigger that addiction, until you are capable of saying "no". And surround yourself with people who are going to encourage and support you, rather than the ones who seem to want to sabotage you.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I try to prioritize my obsessions.

1. Daily food plan to fit calories and macros.
    2. Following workout routine (strength training)
    3. Well being exercise (LI cardio, stretch)
    4. Keeping the daily summary daily of nutrition and exercise (logging exercise is a complete waste of time imo)
    5. Reading and meditating on Mindful Eating
    6. Weighing each day
    7. HI cardio

So, once things get hard, I drop off the low priority items. It also helps to eat a few standard breakfasts/lunches, so you know off hand what to pack along & keep in the office.
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OMG thanks for posting this question. I've been at this for 25 days or so and I'm losing and feeling great. But I'm also thinking about food all the time, I never did before. It was just something I did when I woke up, when I was bored, in between cigarettes. Now it's a huge portion of my thoughts.

I feel a bit dependent on this tool. I also stopped going over to friends' events, dinners, whatever because I couldn't have ABSOLUTE control over what I was eating.

Now I still have that anxiety, but I just fill up on quantafiable foods before I go spend time with friends. Or I pick things with obvious ingredients (salads, fruit plate) that I can count later.

Everyone else in my life seems to never think about food. Many of them don't work out at all and seem to eat as much as they want. I am mystified. And jealous.

Either way, this is the first time I haven't been depressed about dropping pounds- I know it is going to happen. So is it worth worrying over how much I worry? Not to me. I'm sick of being fat and the treatment that comes with it.
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm not obsessed, I'm focused. ;)
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Before I used to obsess with eating sweets, eating to feel comforted, eating to pass time. Now I know what is going into my body and i'm grossed out by the things some people eat, especially in one sitting. Idunno, counting calories and finding new recipes is fun for me.
  • mzgafford
    mzgafford Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya!! I really want this time around to count and mean a lot more! I want to be able to turn that switch off when I feel I need to eat just because I am bored I want to be able to control what I eat! I just want to be able to get back into all my old clothes and when I can go try something on with out it being too small I want the opposite effect and be bigger!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    snackcident! love that!
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! I so didnt expect this much reassurance and advise...THANK YOU ALL!

SO...from this, My aim is to make my new manta/obsession... (using the word obsession loosely)

Prioritise......Commit.....Focus.....Relax!

I feel slightly better knowing its not "only me"....
  • helenta77
    helenta77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love my new obsession, haha!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've been called obsessed more than once, although on every occasion it's been from haters. Not gonna lie. DON'T PROJECT YOUR ISSUES ONTO ME RAAAAR RAGE.

Anyway, I digress. I was obsessed before I lost weight - with being fat, with how unhappy that made me feel, with how people would have perceived me, with how men wouldn't give me a second look, how those around me were so much more attractive, with how much my thighs hurt from chubrub (which has been replaced by "snackcident" as my favourite slang, thanks OP!), how I was going to die early, how I wasn't prepared to do anything to stop it.

Am I obsessed now? Hmmm. I'm certainly hugely dedicated, and my fitness regime does occupy a lot of my thoughts. As others have said before me, it's a much better obsession to have. It's an investment in me.

But yes. I am hugely aware of what I eat, what exercise I do, my physical appearance - but on that latter point, it goes beyond "do I look attractive?" It's "do I look healthy?" A huge step for me.

I've been not-fat for a relatively short period of time. It took a long time for the FatGirl attitudes to build up - therefore it will take a long time to bring them down and mentally adapt to the physical changes.

I really hope we can all get there xxx
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do not like to eat anything if I don't know how many calories are in it, if I can't measure it, or weigh it, lol. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy sometimes, but I know in the long run it will all be worth it!
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    Three long years of obsessing, day in day out, losing sleep over calories and exercise.

Now I lift because I love it, run because it feels awesome and eat healthily because it makes me feel like a GOD. I don't want to put that sugary chemically doughnut in my mouth because it'll make me feel like crap
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I know if I am too strict with dieting that I'm at risk of a big blow out. And I was doing this sensibly and lost 14 Ibs, didn't feel deprived because I had the odd treat, but then I went on a bit of a binge for about a week. Luckily I put on 2 Ibs and lost it within a couple of days of being back on here.

I wasn't denying myself so I wonder if it may be healthy to just spent the odd weekend perhaps not logging (though I like my log days to add up, you could literally just log in!). The point is not to use this as an excuse to have a blow out but try eating healthily without being so conscious of it (ie. what most slim and healthy people do!!) just to give your mind a break from thinking about this! But then right back on it on Monday!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes you can get into a really difficult situation with trying to lose weight. You need focus and dedication to eating well, and looking after your body, being aware of what you're eating, your activity levels, etc.
    The problem is that as you lose the weight it starts to become all you think about. Even after I lost the weight I wanted to lose, I spent hours a day in the gym, read the calorie labels on everything, being 'healthy' was all I thought about, and it was not a healthy obsession.
    On the other hand, when you have a lot of weight to lose, some focus on making sure you achieve your goals and not kidding yourself into old behaviours and thinking you've done enough to 'justify' slipping back into old habits is important.

Personally, I think the one thing which has changed my behaviour personally, is focussing on being the best me I can be. I treat my body well, eating good, nutritous food and Ive found a way of exercising which suits me (heavy lifting and aerial fitness) and my body.

I suppose my point is, if you have a lot of weight to lose, dont kid yourself that 'good enough' is good enough, work hard, smart and sensibly.
    If youre already there, make sure you continue to treat your body with the respect it deserves and dont let the hard work you've done go to waste.
    A bit of a waffley post, but whatevs.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    I would say that when it starts to rule your life--you avoid social outings, family gatherings, or holiday--because you want to control your food intake or exercise then you have a REAL PROBLEM and should step away for a while. At the end of the day this is food, weight, and exercise we're talking about and that should come 2nd, 3rd, 4th to your actual LIFE (kids, s.o., work, family, etc).

Totallyagree with this, its all about a healthy balance and living life is more important than obsessing over how many cals are in a breadstick. Dont get me wrong, im a bit obsessed with logging, but I had a bad day yesterday and didnt log - whats the point, I knew I was over - and for me I dont ever want to go back to feeling guilty or ashamed about my eating habits, which I knew I would feel if I knew exactly how much I went over by yesterday. So I draw a line under bad days/meals and vow to make better choices the next day/meal. It works for me.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I confess I too am quite obsessed with food, my husband reckons I lost so much weight because I was on the computer logging and fiddling with my planning and didn't have time to eat!

It's a GOOD obsession, an awareness.

:laugh: Snackcident :laugh: I'm going to go and rename my "Naughty bits" on my diary right now!

I must admit I feel very evangelistic about MFP - I see fat people and I want to sneak up and whisper "My fitness pal" in their ear ... I don't of course, but I think how much happier & healthier they could be :smile: