14 pounds to go... any tips?

Options
My goal weight is so close! I sort of hit a plateau the last few weeks and I need some tips!

Replies

• cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Switch up every thing! play with your calories "Up & down" , add a new exercise, get enough sleep. just shock your body with something new! i
  • rachyedwards
    Options
    Switch up every thing! play with your calories "Up & down" , add a new exercise, get enough sleep. just shock your body with something new! i

Thanks for the help and support!
  • cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! It's going to come off more slowly, the closer you are to a healthy weight. Your body just isn't going to drop the fat as quickly as it would for someone who's really obese, so it's now best to have a smaller calorie deficit. If you're using MFP the "normal" way (ie. you haven't set your own customised calorie goal) then it's generally recommended to set it to lose 0.5 lb a week, if you haven't already. If you've customised your own goal based on your TDEE, then maybe a 10-15 % cut from your TDEE would be appropriate.

Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing. I read on another post that you're already doing weight training, so that's great. Make sure you're taking measurements of your body, and photos, because you may see quicker changes there now than on the scale. I'm just a few pounds away from my goal, and the last several pounds have come off very slowly, but I've lost quite a few inches. Also, it hasn't been linear at all, so now, I find that I tend to fluctuate up and down for a few weeks, pretty much the same, and then I'll drop 2-3 lbs over one or two days.

As far as plateaus go, this is quite an interesting article that I read a while back, with some ides for getting moving again: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The best tip i can give is to be patient really. it can be extremely unmotivating going from losing weight each week to losing weight over a period of months/years.
    make sure when you're lifting weights that you are actually challenging your body, drink plenty of water and get loads of sleep.
    Sometimes when you get down to the last lbs or kgs its best to stop watching the scales and start using photo's and measurements also. Personally i lost most of my weight in the first 6 months but was still 'skinny fat' then over the next year and a half i only dropped about 5kg's but my muscle definition and body shape changed completely.
    Good luck!! and let me know if you need and training ideas =D
  • rachyedwards
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! It's going to come off more slowly, the closer you are to a healthy weight. Your body just isn't going to drop the fat as quickly as it would for someone who's really obese, so it's now best to have a smaller calorie deficit. If you're using MFP the "normal" way (ie. you haven't set your own customised calorie goal) then it's generally recommended to set it to lose 0.5 lb a week, if you haven't already. If you've customised your own goal based on your TDEE, then maybe a 10-15 % cut from your TDEE would be appropriate.

Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing. I read on another post that you're already doing weight training, so that's great. Make sure you're taking measurements of your body, and photos, because you may see quicker changes there now than on the scale. I'm just a few pounds away from my goal, and the last several pounds have come off very slowly, but I've lost quite a few inches. Also, it hasn't been linear at all, so now, I find that I tend to fluctuate up and down for a few weeks, pretty much the same, and then I'll drop 2-3 lbs over one or two days.

As far as plateaus go, this is quite an interesting article that I read a while back, with some ides for getting moving again: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

I appreciate your help and support! I'm taking all of that into consideration!
  • rachyedwards
    Options
    The best tip i can give is to be patient really. it can be extremely unmotivating going from losing weight each week to losing weight over a period of months/years.
    make sure when you're lifting weights that you are actually challenging your body, drink plenty of water and get loads of sleep.
    Sometimes when you get down to the last lbs or kgs its best to stop watching the scales and start using photo's and measurements also. Personally i lost most of my weight in the first 6 months but was still 'skinny fat' then over the next year and a half i only dropped about 5kg's but my muscle definition and body shape changed completely.
    Good luck!! and let me know if you need and training ideas =D
    Thank you so much! Congratulations also, you look fantastic!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    All the other advise here is good. The last bit is slow and requires more patience:

The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • rachyedwards
    Options
    All the other advise here is good. The last bit is slow and requires more patience:

The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

More great support! Thank you for the help!