Manual treadmill for running?

Options
I'm interested in getting a small/inexpensive treadmill. The weather is starting to get cold here and the only gym in driving distance has limited hours, so... if I want to keep running this winter I think it's going to have to happen at home.

My house is very small, so I need something that is foldable and since I also don't want to spend much money I'm looking at manual treadmills. Some of the reviews I've read for them say they're better for walking, not for running. Does anyone have experience running on them? I don't run particularly fast, but I'm hoping to do a half marathon in the early spring, so I'll be putting on some regular miles.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

Replies

• Kfarrell6
    Kfarrell6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a runner. I would not imagine that even at a slow pace, that the belt would be able to keep up with you. I would advise you to make friends with Mother Nature, and get out in the fresh air to run. It really does help to run like you would on race day. Invest in a headlamp if you need to go when its early or late. Good luck!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I had one once, a very long time ago when I had a very limited budget. It was terrrible terrible terrible to run on. Almost impossible for me to get any kind of rhythm or speed going.

You can run outside in the cold. I run when it's as low as 5 or 10 degrees really comfortably with a few layers on -- just make sure that the layer next to your skin is something wicking, not cotton, so that you don't get wet and cold from sweat.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If you're near NH you can come take mine for free lol
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My sister bought one from Walmart and has used it for the past 5 years. She's lost 20-30 pounds in the past year just using that. I have a gold's gym treadmill that I use at home, I don't like running in the cold either.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is more concerned with winter coming on (if he's anywhere near ND, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to run in 30 to 40 degree below zero weather...)
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Only ran on one once....Hated it. I'd rather run in the freezing cold.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ive never used a manual one but I can tell you that I have a large treadmill that I paid $1300 for and its not even that suitable for running. I have to adjust the belt a few times a week. My guess is that a manual one will be even worse. I have read that if you plan to run on a treadmill you need to spend at least $2000 to get one that can handle it.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The only manual one I ever used, the belt would get out of alignment and it was almost impossible.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The only manual one I ever used, the belt would get out of alignment and it was almost impossible.

That's why I hate mine. Even just walking, every minute it seems to shift to the side and lock up. You spend more time adjusting the belt than working out
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    They're pretty awful, my dad had one in his exercise room and it's really never been used. I tried to use it twice, but the belt sticks and it seems way to easy to get injured on it. You spend the whole time watching the belt and worrying about it.

I bought a monster of a treadmill, it came out of a professional gym and the belt is rated for 8000 hours of use. LOVE that thing, but it dwarfs my dining room table. That was the only place I had an outlet with enough power to handle it. Another option may be to consider something other than running as exercise for over the winter, maybe spinning? You can get a spin bike that would work a lot better and take a lot less floor space than a manual treadmill.