Serious question, i'm curious

Options
Can i eat whatever I want as long as it's under my calorie budget and STILL lose weight?

i'm getting so many mixed answers from google, so i thought i'd ask here :)
thanks!

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My answer would be: YES, you can eat whatever you like as long as you stay within your calorie budget.

But a healthy balanced diet will be better for your body and overall health than a diet consisting of junk food and candy.
    Plus: you can eat more :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes. Caloric deficit will lead to weight loss. Body composition and health are different subjects.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Will you be healthy, will you be losing LBM along with fat, will it be easy? Those are the bits that depend on what you eat.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You can.

BUT what you eat will reflect in HOW you feel while you are losing it. If you want to eat just twinkies you could, but you'd feel like garbage and probably look it as well plus you would be constantly hungry and probably really worn out from the sugar crashes. The trick to sustainable loss is to change little things - make a little bit better choices and don't be worried to EAT.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yep! :)
    However what you eat might make a big difference as to how you feel.
    An example- when I eat junk (and stay under my calories) I feel tired, lazy, blah.
    When I eat clean, I feel energetic, have better workouts, satistifed & don't feel weighed down.

Might be different for everyone, that's just what I experience.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do it all he time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep.. if you want to waste your calories one day in sour patch kids and doritos then go for it. it won't make a difference weight loss wise.

BUT it will make a huge difference if you exercise. trust me, i've tried working out only being fueld from sour patch kids and doritos and it doesnt work :laugh: besides that i feel like overall crap afterwards anyway, some it isnt worth it for me to go crazy one day. maybe for a snack but not for the entire day
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes. Caloric deficit will lead to weight loss. Body composition and health are different subjects.

^^ Indeed

FAT loss should be objective , not weight loss
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Well you CAN, but it wont make you any healthier. And when you get to the end, it might be harder to lose it that way.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am going to say NO. At least not for me. I strongly believe that Calories are very different in how they trigger responses in your body.

For me High Carb foods make me tired and crave more high carb foods. So I eat more and workout less. Fast foods are loaded with sodium and chemicals that make me retain water and feel sluggish.

Clean Proteins, good fats like Olive oil and low glycemic foods make me feel better, keep my blood sugar stable and give me more energy so I do more.

In the past 6 months I have not only dropped over 40 lbs but dropped my Cholesteral from the 230's into the 170's with no drugs. My heart rate and blood pressure are lower and I'm feeling better and look better.

Only my opinion but for me and the work I've done with nutritionists and my body it's my truth so I'm sticking with it.

All the best!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    I've seen people do it, but for many others the numbers on the scale aren't the most important thing. For a lot of us, there is a fitness aspect and some are here for health.

I think you need to decide how you want to look and feel, not how much you want to weigh, and then figure out how best to accomplish that.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    search........this is a common topic

you can eat whatever crap you want and as long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

but if you care about your body, you will try to avoid eating crap for every meal
  • gallium
    gallium Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I hate the term 'clean foods', these foods should be referred to as non- micro nutrient dense

Their are good diets and bad diets, for instance you can have good diets that consist of candy while you can have bad diets that consist of chicken/rice.

What matters is meeting Macro and MICRO nutrient needs,
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, for weight loss. I keep hearing it's different when you get close to your goal but I'm only 3 lbs away and it's still working (hope saying that doesn't jinx it). I don't eat junk all day though, I plan my healthy meals first. Also it depends if you can stop when you want to. Some people say that for them having one cookie will trigger a binge. For me, one cookie is just one cookie. You'll find though that you probably want to make healthy choices because of satiety if nothing else. 100 calories of grilled chicken breast fills me up much better than 100 calories worth of chips.
  • NoisyAstronomer
    NoisyAstronomer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat just twinkies you could, but you'd feel like garbage and probably look it as well plus you would be constantly hungry and probably really worn out from the sugar crashes.

Hey. I heard about that guy... http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Recipes/twinkie-diet-short-term-fix-long-term-problem/story?id=11756710

(Okay, not exactly and it wasn't a *real* experiment, but it's an interesting story.)

I could lose weight on an all-Twinkie diet but I'd still be rejected from donating blood for low iron. So... not my plan.
  • andriadean7171
    Options
    Yes you can, but eating junk food or.food thats not as good for you will cause unhealthy weight loss and you wont be able to eat as much
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is what I've been successfully doing. I try not to make a habbit of eating like crap. Mainly because it triggers me personally to want to overeat, but I don't DIET at all. I just try and make sure that whatever I do eat fits within my daily calorie goals.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Mostly yes. However, I found as I got closer to goal, WHAT my calories consisted of mattered as much as HOW MANY calories I was eating. Too many refined sugars or foods too high in sodium would stall my weight loss. I didn't gain any weight, but couldn't lose any more. Cleaned up the diet, and the last pounds came off.