Just started today-am 54 y/o & have over 100 lbs to lose

Options
In short I have been fighting a weight problem since I was 12 years old when I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I am now 54 and after years of weight watching I have lost and gained what feels like thousands of pounds over and over and over again - all on the same commercial weight loss program. A friend told me about this program and it is the first time I have ever tried something new. I am hopeful but also scared. I have had 2 knee replacements in the past 2 years, both of which had difficulties and left me worse off than I started, so movement has been a problem. I'm fighting depression, loneliness and isolation and hoping to meet some others here who might be dealing with similar issues. I am on disability and find it extra challenging to lose weight when it hurts to walk and get around. I do participate in a class at the local Y in the pool called "Joyful Joints" that has been helpful. Any encouragement is appreciated.

Replies

• janeann58
    janeann58 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was told by my friend that ppl on here were very friendly and helpful and I feel very sad and discouraged that not one person has reached out and/or responded to my plea for friendship and encouragement????????
  • Svpaskewitz
    Options
    Hi Janeann. I am 51 years of age and I just started today also. I have 40 pounds to lose. Today was a little hard for me because I felt hungry all day, but I have managed to get through the hard part. You hang in there, and if you ever need words of encouragement email me. Good Luck. :smile:
  • janeelizabethhoff
    Options
    There are some really great people on here. I have been on for about 3 weeks and really enjoy reading everyone's posts. I would love to help encourage you. We all need all the friends and encouragement we can get on this journey. It is certainly not easy. Sending you a friend request.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and needing to lose 80 more pounds to get to my goal. I don't exercise much at all. You can add me as a friend if you would like. Seems like we are in the same boat with gaining and losing weight all our lives. Good Luck to us both!......heck good luck to us all!
  • navydx
    Options
    Stay positive and use people's negative comments as fuel to prove them wrong. Good Luck and God Bless!
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started in June with 101 lbs to lose, and am down 70 lbs. I would be happy to be friends and encourage you along your journey. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • blueterry60
    Options
    HI, I JUST STARTED A FEW WEEKS AGO. I WANT THE GASTRIC BYPASS AND THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO DO
    IN ORDER TO QUALIFY. I KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE DEPRESSED AND LONELY. I SAW YOUR NOTE AND HAD TO RESPOND. I'M 63 AND HAVE OVER 100 IBS TO LOOSE ALSO. I ALSO HAD BOTH MY KNEES REPLACED A FEW YEARS AGO, WOW ITS A MIRICLE, MY KNEES ARE LIKE NEW, I'M SORRY YOU ARE STILL HURTING. IF YOU WANT WE CAN STAY IN TOUCH AND MAYBE BE OF SOME HELP FOR EACH OTHER. TERRY
  • thibideau
    thibideau Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sent you a message
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    Sending a request - new too with 100lbs to lose!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kimberlee, 49. I am on disability for heart disease, diabetes, depression and many other health problems...too long to list them all. I have trouble getting around due to arthritis in my knee and hip. I am also healing from major abdominal surgery two weeks ago. I know that you can do this. I've lost my wt. in a yr. Please feel free to add me. I am on here all the time and have an open diary. You can also feel free to message me if you need to talk to someone.
  • nursermr38
    Options
    Hi.. i signed up awhile ago but started in ernest sept 1st. lots of days are hard and being lonely make them harder. but there are alot of good, supportive people here. most of us pretty much in the same boat. taking it day by day. take the time and read some posts they do the heart good. good luck to you and you can add me as a friend. Rose
  • ps06109
    ps06109 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm almost 54 and started myfitnesspal a few weeks ago. I will lose 150 lbs. I've lost about 6 so far. I'm very excited about this app. it is very easy to use and to keep track of calories. Even the small weight lose of 6 lbs, I feel better. Halloween was indulgent for me but I logged all the "fun" size snickers I ate. Had my fill, now I'm back on track. Think healthy!
  • hajir7
    hajir7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, people here are so professional and friendly, you will find all the support and motivations.
    and that will help you a lot in losing weight and feeling better. add me if you nlike:)
  • otkbrat
    Options
    I just started on here but have lost about 60 pounds. I have at least 140 to go and I'm 46. I have found the best way for me is to eat foods I enjoy but at smaller amounts. Totally eliminating stuff doesn't work for me. It just makes me want it more. I also go to Curves. A lot of older people go there. Its easier on your joints. The pool is good too.

Debbie
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    Hi l would love another freind ,I don't have the problems to that degree but I do have arthritis ,that come along with lupus so I understand..about hurting and not being able to do what you what to do some times .chin up we are here to motivate each other .
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I've been doing MFP since mid-June this year. I'm down 42 lbs so far. I also have problems with arthritis and have had to have both hips replaced 5 years ago. It is also in my lower back so there are times when walking is still difficult. I'm on disability as well for those problems and for depression. In April of this year, I was in a car accident and broke both arms. I've just had to have a third surgery on my right arm which failed to unite so they just did a bone graft. I've been feeling better so far as back pain since I have lost some weight and have been able to walk on the treadmill a bit. I don't have one of my own so when I leave my sister's house, I'm not sure if I will be able to continue any walking since it is very cold, snowy and sometimes slippery outside. I'd be happy to have you add me as a friend.
    Dena
  • janeann58
    janeann58 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH to all of you who have replied to my original post. It really means a lot. I have just now been able to read all of them and your words of encouragement and understanding have been so helpful !!! I am also very inspired by your stories and successes on this program. :flowerforyou: Trying to figure out how to enter my food and navigate my way around this site has taken some time and effort. :blushing: I have been doing my best to follow mfp for 5 days and finding I like it a lot. If I don't respond to things you post or send me, it's because I haven't completely figured out how to do so yet, but hang in there with me please. Thanks again. :heart:
  • nursermr38
    Options
    I just started on here but have lost about 60 pounds. I have at least 140 to go and I'm 46. I have found the best way for me is to eat foods I enjoy but at smaller amounts. Totally eliminating stuff doesn't work for me. It just makes me want it more. I also go to Curves. A lot of older people go there. Its easier on your joints. The pool is good too.

Debbie

i agree i am not on a specific diet this time. i am eating regular food out of my pantry and trying to just count the calories. i have been going out to eat at the same places i always have. hopefully this will make it alot easier when it comes time to maintain.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old and lost my last three pounds today! My total weight lost is 144 pounds. Didn't think it was possible! Took me 2 1/2 years but I am tenacious (read: stubborn) and hung in there.

Increased my activity and watched what I ate. Some days were more successful than others. But I made it a game. Challenged myself each day. Joined MFP. Made some supportive friends. And here I am!!! Life is great and whoever says that you cannot lose after a certain age is full of "hooey".

Good luck to you! Add me as a friend if you like.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had a very difficult time using it back in July when I signed up. I think that's why I put on another 8.4 pounds before my DH told me how to navigate MFP. I have my original weight from July on my ticker. Feel free to add me. I also have arthritis and have been having problems with my knees.
    Thank you SO MUCH to all of you who have replied to my original post. It really means a lot. I have just now been able to read all of them and your words of encouragement and understanding have been so helpful !!! I am also very inspired by your stories and successes on this program. :flowerforyou: Trying to figure out how to enter my food and navigate my way around this site has taken some time and effort. :blushing: I have been doing my best to follow mfp for 5 days and finding I like it a lot. If I don't respond to things you post or send me, it's because I haven't completely figured out how to do so yet, but hang in there with me please. Thanks again. :heart: