Turkey Chili with Kidney beans?

Rita_Rocker
Rita_Rocker Posts: 43 Member
Is there such a recipe that is yummy, not too fattening and does not spike blood sugar? I hope it exists! Thanks, Rita.

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    If you go to AllRecipe.com you can find anything you want, WITH the servings and Nutrition value. If you are a cook, tweak a recipe...I do that most of the time any ways. Working on a Peach Cobbler Recipe Now.

ETA: Right off top, about the Turkey Chili Recipe, I would Eliminate or cut in half or third any tomato requirement...outside of that everything is ok, slow burning and not an insulin pusher.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Rita...I made some chili today with Ground Sirloin (90/10), Ground Pork (80/20), Pinto Beans and Kidney Beans...
    1 cup serving was only 277 calories and 26g of carbs...
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    I'm also diabetic...here's another site with some pretty easy recipes to follow...
    http://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/seven-day-meal-plan
  • tgc1974
    tgc1974 Posts: 6 Member
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fantastic-black-bean-chili/detail.aspx

I've used this recipe a lot, and its so good, even my wife likes it (and she has always hated chili). I've swapped out some black beans for chick peas, added corn, and a few other modifications to suit my tastes, so I'm sure subbing kidney beans for black beans would work. It also helps to read the reviews, as some of the suggestions really help tweak the recipe - suggested addition of cumin for this recipe was amazing!

Hope this suits your needs, especially as the weather gets colder.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Thanks so much, I will try it! Rita
  • Check out my recipe - Turkey Chilli, Kidney Bean nachos :-)

Hi All,

I've discovered a secret recipe for Healthy Turkey Nachos :)

Ingredients:
    1 x Onion
    Garlic
    Turkey Mince (Your normal serving size, 80-100g)
    Taco Sauce (Low Sodium) or just canned tomatos
    Carrots (Extremely small cubes)
    Taco seasoning
    Chilli (To taste, I like lots as I eat less when its HOT)
    Kidney Bean Beans (Optional if you need more Protein)
    Mountain Rye Wrap
    Sour Cream

1. Brown of the onions, carrot and garlic followed by the turkey mince
    2. Add the taco seasoning and chilli
    3. Add Beans (Optional) and your Taco sauce
    4. Simmer until it has thickened up, usually around 10 minutes
    5. Crisp up the Mountain Rye Wrap in the oven, making sure you cut it up into chip shapes prior
    6. Top with the Nacho sauce and there you have it :)

Optional healthy toppings -
    Avocado
    Low Fat Cheese
    Salsa
    Coriander

I'll update carb/fat/protein details if anyone needs!! :)

Under 350cal per serve, low carb, high protein, low sugar, low sodium!
  • Rita_Rocker
    I love that allrecipes.com website! I will check it out in more detail! Thanks, Rita.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Thanks everybody for the great ideas! Rita
  • Rita_Rocker
    Thanks so much, I will check it out. Good news for me is that even though my bloodwork showed I am
    just about at Type 2 Diabetes...I am not there yet! This is such a blessing for me to be able to have the
    chance to reverse what years of eating whatever I want, whenever I want, have done to my body.
    I have lost 10 lbs. in a month and feel great and am super excited about it! Diabetes runs in my family
    so I know way too much about it. I really want some Cheetos!! LOL... Rita
  • tgc1974
    tgc1974 Posts: 6 Member
    Great to hear you're taking advantage of this opportunity to change your life!
  • Rita_Rocker
    Thank you so much for saying that! I lost my gallbladder 6 yrs. ago and almost lost my pancreas and liver. As close as I came to death at that time I did not see it as a life changing time for me. Go figure. But Diabetes...this scares me. The Pizza Hut up the street from me must think I either moved away or died....LOL. Take care! Rita