High carb/low carb diet optioin with Dr Oz (yesterday)

Options
Hi All - have a question for everyone - any see Dr Oz yesterday with Jamie Powell. I am considering the high carb/low carb option. Anyone doing that now, is it working. I love my carbs so it sounds perfect.

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the "high carb" days are pretty average carb days. You could eat the high carb days everyday and still lose weight. It's not like its a carb fest with the green light to gorge on endless pasta and bread. Everything is still measured out and the serving size counts.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz changes his thinking and what he promotes almost daily.... it seems that he finds someone to bring on his show and he endorses whatever they are promoting. I rarely watch his show anymore.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz = nonsense
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It was Chris Powell most likely and he usually promotes carb cycling.
    I don't think I would do it personally. Way too much work.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz = nonsense

This.

Losing weight is simple. Not easy, but simple. Why over-complicate things?
  • fitmama419
    Options
    A cardiothoracic surgeon should stick to the operating room and not be giving out advice on everything from diets to bunions.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi All - have a question for everyone - any see Dr Oz yesterday with Jamie Powell. I am considering the high carb/low carb option. Anyone doing that now, is it working. I love my carbs so it sounds perfect.

I would recommend that you look at Dr. Oz strictly from an entertainment standpoint as his dietary and supplement information has ... how do I say this without being naughty.........lets just say his information generally sucks.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

It sounds like carb cycling to me, if that is the case, and you have a significant amount if body fat to lose, it'll have little or negligible benefit vs. a balanced diet with a caloric deficit. Carb cycling may be of more benefit to you when you become rather lean and your weight loss starts becoming rather slow or of your weight loss stalls.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A cardiothoracic surgeon should stick to the operating room and not be giving out advice on everything from diets to bunions.

^^this.
  • MarieeugeneWODAYS
    Options
    Dr Oz changes his thinking and what he promotes almost daily.... it seems that he finds someone to bring on his show and he endorses whatever they are promoting. I rarely watch his show anymore.

Couldn't agree more. I stopped watching a few months ago. lol
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm no a fan of Dr. Oz but Chris Powell's carb cycling system is what he teaches people on Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. It's more difficult to stick to than the average lower calorie diet, but everyone I know in real life who's tried it lost weight and kept it off, and they lost faster than I have.
  • teresaramsey
    teresaramsey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have a look at dr mcdougall's diet he has some awesome success and scientifically based. He has a website with good info The high protein diets are pushed by the dairy and meat industries and that's why we have high rates of cancer heart disease etc. look up the China Study by T Colin Campbell
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Have a look at dr mcdougall's diet he has some awesome success and scientifically based. He has a website with good info The high protein diets are pushed by the dairy and meat industries and that's why we have high rates of cancer heart disease etc. look up the China Study by T Colin Campbell

The China Study is one of the most cherry picked, biased and misinterpreted studies around.
  • teresaramsey
    teresaramsey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVxA6yipv4 look at this - a picture says a thousand words!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVxA6yipv4 look at this - a picture says a thousand words!

Your point?
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    plant based high carb lowfat is the only way to go to me it work great check out dr mcdougall, dr doug graham, neal barnard, dr caldwell esselstyn, t colin campbell they follow high carb lowfat plant based diet. look them up there a lot of free info on it. my diary is open
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It doesn't matter what diet you are on... high fat, low fat, high carb, low carb, atkins, southbeach, blah blah.. it all comes down to calories. Calories in < calories out and you have weight loss.

NOw some macro's do have more benefit. Fat and protein increase satiety and protein also helps maintain lean body mass (aka muscle).
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    dr. oz promotes the things that he gets money for. i dont know how many people constantly come into my work(i work at whole foods market) and ask for something saying that dr. oz said to get it. i agree that he should stick to the operating room.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like carbs too, and I eat them every day and still manage to lose weight. I'm all about frequently choosing the carbs that provide the most nutrition (particularly whole grains and fruits). Nothing wrong with that.

Just limit the carbs that are high in calories and lack real nutrition (like sugary dessert items and breakfast pastries and whatnot). No need to cut them out entirely, but don't spoil yourself with them everyday. Save those for special occasions.
  • Diharp
    Diharp Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more. I stopped watching a few months ago. lol