Thyroid Disorder

Options
I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in May 2012. Since my diagnosis I have gained almost 20 lbs and I cannot seem to shake it, even with the medication that I am taking (I am quite sure this is due to my becoming lazy and hoping the medication will keep the weight off by itself). It just seems that this weight came on suddenly and much more quickly than any amount of weight has before.

I was just wondering if there are others here who suffer from the same, or something similar, and struggle with weight loss? Or, if there is anyone who has overcome weight challenges whilst living with a thyroid disorder?

Replies

• SherrysLife2012
    Options
    I've had a thyroid disorder for years, it sucks....along with some other health issues that cause weight gain. Its not impossible to lose weight, but you may just have to work a little harder at it. Just take care and focus on getting or staying healthy.......see...I didn't take care of myself and gained, and gained and gained.....then a lot of other stuff went wrong, now I'm in a right mess trying to get healthy, I could kick myself.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid which is being treated with Thyroxine. The condition shouldn't stop you from losing weight but in my experience the medication won't get the weight off on its own. You need to work at it and this site is a great place to start doing that.
  • richiemcfc
    richiemcfc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone - there are lots of us on here and as the lady above said, there are lots of threads on here and some great advice from other sufferers.

From my own personal experience, it will be a long hard slog but it can be done and unfortunately the meds won't do the job for you and I found that only exercise helps. There are lots of tips out there, and the best I got was to avoid taking multi-vitamins at a similar time to your meds - don't know why, but when I did this the weight started to come off (might have been a pure coincidence).

Best of luck.

Steve
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in late February this year, as I had several rapidly growing lumps throughout it. They biopsied it afterwards, and it turned out that I did have a small cancer in it, which thankfully was too small to require any further treatment. I was put onto Thyroxine, gained 10kg (22lbs), and felt like crap. Sure, it wasn't a HUGE gain, but I felt every part of it.

In June I found MFP, and am now within 3kg (6lbs) of my goal weight. I have met incredible people on the site, and have awesome friends that have become important and enthusiastic supporters of mine (and me of them, too!). The lessons I have learned will stay with me forever, and I am feeling a lot less overwhelmed and daunted by the fact that I will need to constantly be aware of and monitor my thyroid meds as I go through the rest of my life.

It took ages for the medication to get to the right level (or it felt like it, anyway), and I was doing a lot of exercise but felt like I was achieving nothing. In hindsight, I rode a constant seesaw from being determined to exercise the extra weight off, and being overwhelmed and discouraged. My eating was not consistent, and I really didn't understand what my body needed - at all.

Now, I make sure I eat my BMR each day (the amount of calories we would burn if we just lay in bed all day, or were in a coma - what we need to survive), and I don't eat back my exercise calories. This way, I figure that whatever I burn over and above what I eat will end up as a reduction. Check out this BMR calculator - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. It really does work - I tried to eat 1200calories each day, and was NOT losing weight. It frustrated the hell out of me!! So I increased what I eat, and started to lose weight. Confronting, but effective.

Thyroid problems can be overcome. We need to be extra vigilant about how we eat, how much we exercise. Listen to our bodies. I love that the great thing to come out of all of this for me, is that I am now fitter than I have been in a long time. I feel much more positive, proud of myself, and more able to deal with my everyday stresses better. I think I am easier to be around, and less anxious and depressed.

Good luck, friend. You sound like you are in a great position work-wise, you're in a secure and positive marriage, and obviously understand and appreciate the need to be active. A good start. Congratulations on having a clear diagnosis, and on finding this wonderful site. There is so much here that is helpful and you will meet and get to know some truly interesting and inspiring people.

Wil

Just read what the fella above said - yes, yes, yes. Do not take your meds at the same time as anything else, esp calcium or multi-vitamins. They can absorb the thyroid meds and render them useless. I take mine first thing in the morning. They recommend not having anything at the same time for at least half an hour, and I tend to wait an hour for breakfast and my morning cuppa. So first thing (before ANYTHING else, even a pee - sorry for being blunt!), that's my routine. Gives you time for a workout (not that that happens often for me - my daughter usually gets up within minutes of me - don't know HOW she knows, but the little darling times it perfectly!) or a walk before breakfast.
  • melaure
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

I really appreciate the response. I grew up with a mother who has a non-functional thyroid and a younger sister who was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when she was very young (She wasn't growing. She was TINY for the longest time). Neither of them have ever struggled like I do with weight issues, but it has always been something we've expected with me. They would constantly ask me to get my thyroid checked, and after failing a weigh-in for the Coast Guard in April, I was finally diagnosed.

I know that it is going to take a lot of hard work for me to get on track. This website helped me to lose a little weight over a year ago, but it was never anything significant. I think that if I put myself whole heart-idly into logging my food and exercise, and having discussions like this with people like you, then I'll be able to reach my goal.

I really appreciate any advice that anyone has for those suffering with thyroid problems and weight issues. I truly believe that they go hand-in-hand in my case. I just know that I am ready to change my entire life, and I can't do it alone. So, thanks for responding!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ok so when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, my doctor told me that my weight would return to normal with synthroid. Well guess what? It did not...I gained 40 lbs. So when I went in to see her after being on the meds for 4 months and mentioned to her that I thought I would lose weight, her comment was sometimes it does you that way. So I have continued to spiral out of control until I reached 272 lbs, very close to 100 lbs above what I was when I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed around 20 years ago. I have lots of responsibility to handle and though I tend to be a bit lazy I can't lay around much, so I should not have gained that much. Anyway I decided this past January that something needed to be done so I started to eat less and move more and lost 10 lbs on my own and then joined MFP. As you can see I have had some success and should be reaching onederland very soon. :)
    It takes a bit more effort than a person with a normal metabolism but it can be done. Good luck with your journey and feel free to add me to your friends if you would like someone to cheer you on who has been there.