FAT..of the soft squishy type

Options
hiya...now i know i'll probably come acroos as a loon, but i was wondering about "types" of fat....some people i see have fat that seems quite solid, my fat on my tummy is really squishy and quite loose feeling...does that make sense ??...whilst im working hard to lose weight and exercise it doesnt seem to be getting smaller, its just getting softer & squishier and a bit more wobbly than before...kinda looks worse :indifferent:

im just wondering if anyone has found this ?? is it normal ??? and will it just all of sudden shrink and firm up the longer i diet and exercise...

sorry im probably not making any sense here lol.....

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Mine seemed to get more squishy before it got more firm. I wasn't gaining anything in pounds but the fat composition seemed to be different.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Entirely based on MFP anecdotes, I understand fat is firm at first as the fact cells are full, then gets squishy when you first lose weight as the fat cells empty before getting firmer as your body composition changes.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The same thing is happening to my boyfriend. I see it as progress.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    not sure if this is 100% correct, but i've seen a number of websites that state that visceral fat (that fat inside that surrounds your organs) feels firm. subcutaneous fat (the fat just below your skin) is jiggly and squishy. so if you press against your stomach and it feels firm, that means you've got a lot of visceral fat to get rid of. that's the fat that leads to diabetes. if you press against your stomach and it feels squishy, then you mostly have subcutaneous fat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/342237-losing-hard-fat-vs-soft-fat/
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Entirely based on MFP anecdotes, I understand fat is firm at first as the fact cells are full, then gets squishy when you first lose weight as the fat cells empty before getting firmer as your body composition changes.

I would guess this
    also extra skin does means there is more room in your belly so fat can be squishy. When you are getting fater, it takes time for skin to stretch so it seems more firm as it's more "packed"
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ive noticed this with my self this past 2 weeks and i think its because ive lost a lot of fat and am waiting to firm up a bit! (or at least i hope!)
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    not sure if this is 100% correct, but i've seen a number of websites that state that visceral fat (that fat inside that surrounds your organs) feels firm. subcutaneous fat (the fat just below your skin) is jiggly and squishy. so if you press against your stomach and it feels firm, that means you've got a lot of visceral fat to get rid of. that's the fat that leads to diabetes. if you press against your stomach and it feels squishy, then you mostly have subcutaneous fat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/342237-losing-hard-fat-vs-soft-fat/

Somehow this made me feel a little better about myself since my belly is insanely squishy (and to the OP, I also find my fat gets even squishier before it reduces), that is a 'healthier' fat than having a hard fat belly like my dad.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to experience this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Wondering if this is going on with you as well.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way and I said something to my sister about it yesterday. I am curious to know as well.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yay for squishy belly fat. Mine was quite firm when I started and now it's squishy. I guess that's good.:wink:
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies...im glad its not just me then lol...and i guess as with everything it kinda gets worse before it gets better...its good to know its "normal" as it can be a bit disheartening to look in the mirror and actually "look" worse for your efforts....i'll keep with and wait pateintly for it to shrink...thanks everyone...x
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Normally if its squishy and feels kinda like pearls under the skin then you are dealing with water weight.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Me too...... Plus, I got more dimply and strange looking in the mommy belly part under my belly button........ I am ready for THAT to be gone.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yup, my jiggly puff belly has gotten smaller but more jiggly.... I was worried until I read up there about the fat cells emptying. Im just hoping that when they are empty my gut stops doing the Homer Simpson wobble test everytime I do star jumps!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the fat on people who work out/athletes is very liquidy while the fat of very sedentary people is more firm. It's better to have the more liquidy fat.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I was wondering about it too!