Running on a broken toe

Options
A student broke my big toe. The break is minor. The doctor barely noticed it on the xray but it's broken none the less. It's a small crack on the edge of my toe. Anyway, I explained I am a runner and he said "No running for 2-3 weeks". Well that seems reasonable EXCEPT...I am training for a half marathon and it's in 2 weeks.

So my question is this: Am I absolutely crazy for pushing it and running at the exact 2 week time frame? I plan to run the half marathon and then stop running for a few more weeks after that to rest it.

Any advice?

I posted something similar yesterday but I wanted to get some feedback on my craziness level. Thanks!

Replies

12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Please follow the advice from the professional with the MD degree and not those on MFP
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If your DR is telling you not to run, then don't run. The only thing you will end up doing in the long run is causing yourself more pain and potential issues.

Believe me, I am a runner, and I have broken my toes more times than I can count (was a dancer as well) if things aren't given time to heal they cause all sorts of headaches afterwards.
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    I've broken more than my fair share of bones in my 23 years. (8 in total) and leaned the hard way pushing it is a bad idea. It only makes this worse long term. Only you know your body, listen to it. Try biking while your toe is healing. You're not crazy, I've been where you are, but be cautious. There will always be more marathons.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Don't run for 2-3 weeks.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Don't run for 2-3 weeks.

This. I'm sorry but I'm not sure why you'd ask a messageboard when you have legitimate medical advice.

Sometimes you have to make choices you don't like. This is one of them.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Please follow the advice from the professional with the MD degree and not those on MFP

Hallejujah,we have a winner. I got an injury 6 weeks before my half marathon, my first ever race and had to withdraw..it was the biggest set back i have ever known..but there WILL be other races. goodness knows what other damage you could do to yourself...listen to your doctor.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Hallejujah,we have a winner. I got an injury 6 weeks before my half marathon, my first ever race and had to withdraw..it was the biggest set back i have ever known..but there WILL be other races. goodness knows what other damage you could do to yourself...listen to your doctor.

DITTO on all of the above. I am currently on the DL from running due to a small heart problem I need affirmation on from the cardiologist. I had to back out of one of my many 5K's and it is deflating, but I would rather be able to run in the next few weeks than create permanent damage.

Listen to you doctor and good luck with your race.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Your options:

Don't run for 2-3 weeks and have it heal.

Keep running and end up being on the bench for MONTHS when that tiny fracture becomes a full blown break.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    DON'T RUN FOR 2-3 WEEKS!!

Why would you even question that?