Running Shoes

Options
I need some new running shoes. Any suggestions? I like comfortable. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Walk into a *running* shoe store, ask for some help, get fitted, buy the best/highest quality you can afford.

Ignore brand names, it doesn't matter.
  • gtlightning98
    gtlightning98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store, not Foot Locker or Finish Line. Try on several shoes/brands. Have them see if you can wear a cushioned neutral shoe or if you need some stability. Let them help you and try not to base your decision on looks. And expensive doesn't mean better. $85 shoes can be better than $140 shoes. A previous model on clearance for $59.99 can be a great deal.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a running store. It's the only way that you will get the proper fit and brand that you should be wearing. My perfect shoe may cause you pain. So no matter what brands or styles people reply with here, just go get fitted and take their advice and buy the shoe that feels perfect on your foot based on that.
  • losingitforsummer
    losingitforsummer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    <
    Strongly agrees with the above comments
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I need some new running shoes. Any suggestions? I like comfortable. Thanks :smile:

You have to find the shoe that is right for you. I found this article helpful. You can injure your feet/ankles if you wear the wrong shoe. Try some on at the store, then shop around for the best price. I found this article helpful: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

If you have a normal arch, you're likely a normal pronator, meaning you'll do best in a stability shoe that offers moderate pronation control. Runners with flat feet normally overpronate, so they do well in a motion-control shoe that controls pronation. High-arched runners typically underpronate, so they do best in a neutral-cushioned shoe that encourages a more natural foot motion.

Normal Pronation
    The outside part of the heel makes initial contact with the ground. The foot "rolls" inward about fifteen percent, comes in complete contact with the ground, and can support your body weight without any problem. The rolling in of the foot optimally distributes the forces of impact. This movement is called "pronation," and it's critical to proper shock absorption. At the end of the gait cycle, you push off evenly from the front of the foot.

Overpronation
    As with the "normal pronation" sequence, the outside of the heel makes the initial ground contact. However, the foot rolls inward more than the ideal fifteen percent, which is called "overpronation." This means the foot and ankle have problems stabilizing the body, and shock isn't absorbed as efficiently. At the end of the gait cycle, the front of the foot pushes off the ground using mainly the big toe and second toe, which then must do all the work.

Underpronation
    Again, the outside of the heel makes initial contact with the ground. But the inward movement of the foot occurs at less than fifteen percent (i.e., there is less rolling in than for those with normal or flat feet). Consequently, forces of impact are concentrated on a smaller area of the foot (the outside part), and are not distributed as efficiently. In the push-off phase, most of the work is done by the smaller toes on the outside of the foot.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting fitted at a real running store, they can put you on a treadmill and figure out what is best for you. Everyone's feet are different and what works for one won't for the next person. Also the clearance table is an awesome place to pick up great shoes at a much reduced price for sure!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My latest pair are the Nike Zoom Vomeros, and they are wonderful! I got SofSole inserts for them (can get them at most shoe stores like Finish Line, Lady Food Locker, Sports Authority, etc.) and it feels like I'm running on a cloud :-)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    get fitted at a running shop but don't buy them there. go online to get them- there are quite a few online stores that sell the same shoes at less than half the price. shipping is usually free or minimal. i do this and save myself at least $100 every time.
  • BabyLeila23
    Options
    Thanks guys, I definitely plan on going and trying some on in the store, I was mainly just asking for ideas on what other people found comfortable so I could at least get an idea of what to ask for.
  • BabyLeila23
    Options

You have to find the shoe that is right for you. I found this article helpful. You can injure your feet/ankles if you wear the wrong shoe. Try some on at the store, then shop around for the best price. I found this article helpful: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

If you have a normal arch, you're likely a normal pronator, meaning you'll do best in a stability shoe that offers moderate pronation control. Runners with flat feet normally overpronate, so they do well in a motion-control shoe that controls pronation. High-arched runners typically underpronate, so they do best in a neutral-cushioned shoe that encourages a more natural foot motion.

Normal Pronation
    The outside part of the heel makes initial contact with the ground. The foot "rolls" inward about fifteen percent, comes in complete contact with the ground, and can support your body weight without any problem. The rolling in of the foot optimally distributes the forces of impact. This movement is called "pronation," and it's critical to proper shock absorption. At the end of the gait cycle, you push off evenly from the front of the foot.

Overpronation
    As with the "normal pronation" sequence, the outside of the heel makes the initial ground contact. However, the foot rolls inward more than the ideal fifteen percent, which is called "overpronation." This means the foot and ankle have problems stabilizing the body, and shock isn't absorbed as efficiently. At the end of the gait cycle, the front of the foot pushes off the ground using mainly the big toe and second toe, which then must do all the work.

Underpronation
    Again, the outside of the heel makes initial contact with the ground. But the inward movement of the foot occurs at less than fifteen percent (i.e., there is less rolling in than for those with normal or flat feet). Consequently, forces of impact are concentrated on a smaller area of the foot (the outside part), and are not distributed as efficiently. In the push-off phase, most of the work is done by the smaller toes on the outside of the foot.

Thank you very much :)
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    get fitted at a running shop but don't buy them there. go online to get them- there are quite a few online stores that sell the same shoes at less than half the price. shipping is usually free or minimal. i do this and save myself at least $100 every time.

Don't do this. If you want to buy your second pair on-line, fine. But the expertise and assistance you get from the local running store should be rewarded with your business for at least that first pair.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I definitely plan on going and trying some on in the store, I was mainly just asking for ideas on what other people found comfortable so I could at least get an idea of what to ask for.

Unfortunately, pretty much every single brand and style of shoes will be comfortable to someone. My shoes are Nike, they were like a blessing when I put them on my feet and when I did my first long run. One of my friends hates Nikes and Brooks are the only thing that she can run in. Her husband will only trust his feet in New Balance. And one of the women I'm coaching in Couch to 5K found that Asics were the only thing that made it so she didn't get shin splints. Asics rub my feet in the worst places and I would pull off bloody socks after a long run in Ascis. And New Balance feel like the absolute worst shoes in the world to me and I can't even stand to walk around the store in them.

Every one of us was professionally fitted, in multiple locations (though all at the same multiple locations since we all live in the same area) and that's just how the chips fell for each of us.

Honestly, it doesn't matter one bit what one person thinks is comfortable, all that matters is what the clerk at the store fits for you and brings out for your foot, stride, purpose, and mileage.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    I found the New Balance 608s Very Very Supportive and Comfortable. Those are cross Trainers. I am not sure if they are good for continuous running but they are great for leisure walking and everyday walking.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    My latest pair are the Nike Zoom Vomeros, and they are wonderful! I got SofSole inserts for them (can get them at most shoe stores like Finish Line, Lady Food Locker, Sports Authority, etc.) and it feels like I'm running on a cloud :-)

I got the Zoom Vomeros too...nike did the gait analysis and spent 30 minutes doing it, too...they are awesome shoes for * me *.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Local running store no question. Also many have group runs, happy hour runs, free yoga and core classes. Get on their mailing list, go to there seminars. I think I have gotten at least a 10% off every shoe I have bought due to a coupon, Brooks Night, etc and have a great time at all of these events. My Favorite - Luke's Locker - has a once a month happy hour run with free beer and food and local live music - the good stuff, not somebodies cousins brother - and this is in Austin which is saying a lot. I get much more than the great shoe they FITTED me for.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I love my asics!!

if you are a big runner, go get fitted!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Don't do this. If you want to buy your second pair on-line, fine. But the expertise and assistance you get from the local running store should be rewarded with your business for at least that first pair.

Yes!! VERY rude to go to any store (especially a small local one), take up their time, and then not buy anything.
  • AndreaSchultz77
    Options
    I totally agree with all the above comments. I used to always want to get the "cool" looking running shoes like the Nike Shocks, etc. My feet always hurt. I went to a running show store, and they watched me run on a tread mill and watched how I stepped down and looked at the wear on my current shoes. Found out I was an "underpronator" (sp?) and I require what is considered a "neutral shoe". Now that I have switched, my feet don't ache after running any more.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    My feet roll to the outside, and my local store fit a neutral shoe, Saucony, for my feet. I had never before bought this brand, but between that shoe and proper insert, my feet don't roll out quite as much. The first pair weren't awesome looking, but this years look is really nice.

I agree with buying locally. A running store will spend a lot of time with you, and can also be a great mentor for local events and proper form/training.
  • athensguy
    Options
    Look at Neutral and Stability shoes, but avoid motion control shoes. Try the shoes on. Take a test run if you can. If you feel OK running around in them, they're probably OK. Make sure you have a thumb width or so between your longest toe and the end and that the sides don't squeeze your feet.

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/pronation-control-paradgim-is-starting.html