50lb gone (pic heavy) - My journey so far.

Options
Hi. I'm Hazel. I'm 26 years old, engaged to be married next October and have a one year old daughter :flowerforyou:

In March of this year, I was the biggest I've ever been. 258lb (18st 6lb), a size 22 (US size 20) and miserable. I didn't want to be a fat bride wearing a plus size wedding dress, my fiancé deserved a happy healthy wife and I didn't want my daughter to have a fat mother. :sad:

This was me.

1.jpg

I joined MFP and set myself a goal weight of 174lb, a healthy weight for my height of 5'10. I started going to the gym, counting my calories and doing as much as I could to be active and sensible. My fiancé, who is a healthy 180lb and 6'1, gave me his full support and encouragement, and reassured me constantly that he loves me, regardless of whether I'm big or small. The weight started to come off. :bigsmile:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I've hit plateaus along the way, and made mistakes too. But I learnt you haven't failed because you've fallen off the wagon, you fail if you don't dust yourself off and get back on it. People who would never have complimented me in the past started to notice and say nice things.

I've had NSV's along the way, and some amazing MFP friends and friends IRL who have never failed to support, encourage and motivate me to keep going, not give up, and do my best. I really feel that having a good support network can make all the difference.

This is me now:

5.jpg

My BMI has changed from 37 (very obese) to 29.9 (overweight). I've lost 50lb (over 3.5 stone) and am a large UK size 16 (US size 14). I am the smallest and healthiest I have been in years. I can push my daughter up a hill in her pram without getting out of breath and it feels great. I have lost over 40" across my body. I want to hit my goal weight by July/August for my wedding dress fitting, but if I don't make it, I know it's not the end of the world because I WILL GET THERE EVENTUALLY.

I never thought I would be able to post one of these success stories, but even though my story isn't finished yet, I hope it gives someone else out there the motivation to do it. You will make mistakes, you will hit plateaus, you will feel like nothing is happening and it will be tempting to give up. DON'T. I promise you can do it. All you have to do is start. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you!! Well done.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing lady!!!! I think you will achieve your goal b/c of your attitude and your willingness to work! :) Congrats on your upcoming wedding/marriage!
  • AXAGEM
    AXAGEM Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well done you! Nothing feels good as healthy.
  • LFlower1981
    LFlower1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bravo! You're doing great. You help me to want to keep going!
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Standing O! You look fabulous _keep up the great work!
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    YOU look GREAT! You are an inch shorter than me but we have a similar goal weight adn we started the same! You will get there girl. WE will get there together!
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    ... I learnt you haven't failed because you've fallen off the wagon, you fail if you don't dust yourself off and get back on it. ...

Amen, sister! Brilliantly said! You look fabulous! Although, I have to say that your Before picture is the most confident and sassy before pic I have ever seen. :)

Congratulations on all your hard work. Your dedication really shows. Best wishes on your upcoming wedding, and I have zero doubt at all that you WILL reach all of your goals!
  • henryandrewmom
    henryandrewmom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! You are doing great :-)
  • wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great job my friend! You have done a fabulous job! Ups and downs, but it still can be done! On to journey....
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You look great! Well done!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Kudos - you look amazing!
  • coppercat25
    coppercat25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic well done! I am also losing weight for my wedding in February. Do you mind if I add you? I'm also from England :) I'm only 5 foot and 161lbs at the moment. I've lost 20lbs since January (slow I know) but I would love to lose that again for my wedding, hopeful I know!
  • DMSMaven
    Options
    Way to go .... Keep it up .... Weight and goal wise we are in the same boat :smile:
  • katieheston
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I have just begun my weight loss journey and have a good trek ahead. I love to see other women with a REAL body with REAL curves making strides. Kudos for your loss and keep up the great work!!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You look excellent, and those CURVES! To die for! :love:
  • owensrm
    Options
    That is so super!
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind words :smile:

I wish I had taken a 'proper' start weight picture, but by the time I'd started it was too late, and that is literally the ONLY photo in existence of me at that size, I became very good at avoiding cameras at my biggest! I think the only reason that picture survived is because my fiancé took it to show me how funny I looked in my hospital gown when I went in for a minor surgery!

One thing I forgot to say was, the scale really isn't everything. I've always been a curvy girl, and the one time in my teens I did get down to a size 12 (US size 10), it really didn't suit me, I am tall and I guess I must just have a big frame because my ribs and collarbone stuck out despite still being "overweight"! I've agreed with my fiancé that as soon as I get to a size that I am genuinely happy and confident in how I look, I will stay there, regardless of what the scale says. I don't see the point in losing an extra 15lb and looking ill just so that I can say that my BMI is perfect! But hey, that's just me :flowerforyou:
  • beatlesfan31
    beatlesfan31 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Congratulations!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    The incredible shrinking YOU! Congrats!
  • BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    50lbs is a great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!