Runners...Carb loading before a half marathon?

Options
Hi!

I am running my first half-marathon this Sunday, Nov4th and was wondering if I need to carb load in the days before? If so, what do you suggest eating for meals? I am allotted 1310 calories, however, am willing to go over if that will help to prepare me for the race. I know that I shouldn't eat anything new before and pretty much already have my breakfast planned for the day of the race, which includes a Clif Bar, water, and Gatorade prime, then 2 Gu energy gels during the race (this is what I have trained with). Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    In general, most runners aren't out there long enough to deplete their glycogen stores, so no real need to carb load.

I assume the 1,310 is what you are planning to burn running (as opposed to what you are planning to eat total for that day).

My biggest concern is to avoid that which could give me an upset stomach and send me to the portapotty during the race (has never happened in 70+ races knock on wood). I avoid extra fiber the day before my race (no giant salad or box of prunes...).

Good luck!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

My biggest concern is to avoid that which could give me an upset stomach and send me to the portapotty during the race (has never happened in 70+ races knock on wood). I avoid extra fiber the day before my race (no giant salad or box of prunes...).

Good luck!

I also recommend staying away from questionable seafood and mom's 5-alarm chili. :wink:

P.S. Bring your own wet wipes to the port-a-potties.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I didn't really do anything different the day of the race than what I did while training. I would just stick to what you are used to.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    No need to carb load, but hydration is key - possibly try 1/2 a salt pack from a fast food joint if you're regular hydration needs leave you...."dry" . If you're worried about overall energy...drink some gatorade before the run. Liquid carbs will help your immediate burn needs.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wipies are for rookies JR...lol!

For my first half I played if very safe, I had pasta with red sauce NO veggies (no one wants extra fiber before a race), not too much fat and no dessert. Since then I've been able to experiment, but general rule of thumb nothing new before race day.

Also carb loading I think is kinda personal preference thing, I don't always find I get a huge benefit from carb loading per se, but it sure is fun to do. If you haven't been loading before your long runs so far I wouldn't worry too much about it for race day. Just relax have fun and remember NOTHING NEW!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I also take an imodium before my races, but try it during training first!

I actually used to take half of one before all my runs, but I found it wasn't necessary. Now it is down to race day and mornings where my stomach is extra upset during my pre-run restroom visit.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything different. Before my first 1/2, I actually ran that same distance during two of my training runs, so by the time the half rolled around, I knew I'd just do what I did during training. And, that's pretty much the advice for anything when it comes to race day - no new anything! No new shoes, no new socks, no new water belt... same goes for what you eat!
  • jekissa729
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice!! I will stick to what I am doing now! As long as I eat at least an hour before I run, I shouldn't have to use a porta-potty...lol. I definiitely will be avoiding prunes and will stick to low fiber. Thank you!
  • QuietLegs
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/how-to-carbo-load-for-a-marathon/

Just read this article the other day. It recommends massively carb loading the day before a marathon. Of course, that's for competitive racers going for the absolute best time that they can. Still, running low on glycogen can be frustrating. I've found that my legs often feel "lighter" on days when I ate really well the day before, and far more sluggish on days where I've really been focusing on cutting.

Still, I've yet to tackle anything as ambitious as a half-marathon (yet!!), so I can't speak from personal experience.

Best of luck to you, and way to go for taking on such a great challenge!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Every runner is different. I eat an early dinner and then get up three hours before the race to eat oatmeal and a banana so I don't have stomach issues. Do what is good for you. I don't typically get hungry during 1/2 marathons but during full marathons I bring protein bars with me.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Enjoy the moment, because it goes by fast!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say carb up for a few days before the race. Runnerworld.com has a section on what to eat a few days before races. I always stay away from fiber two days before, because we'll I'm sure you can figure you that out ;)
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I didnt carb load per se before my first half, but I did eat more pasta the Wed-Sat before my first half. I didnt eat huge meals of it though and stayed within my calorie goal for those days. The night before, I ate dinner around 4 pm so it would be nice and digested in the morning. That meal was about 1.5 times the normal size (but I had done this in training for the last month to get ready).

I also didnt find it necessary to have GU during the race. I had gone without it for a few training runs so felt pretty confident I would need it. I did carry it though. What I did eat was 2 pieces of dried pineapple about half way through. It was more of a psychological thing because that was at the top of the mountain and I wanted a treat lol.

Just relax and enjoy. If you want to carb load, start tonight and not just the night before. But mainly, repeat what you have practiced. And have fun. Crossing the finish line for the first time is quite an amazing feeling. I cried! Im gonna be a mess after a full marathon lol. Good luck!
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I don't think you necessarily need to "carb-load" before a half marathon, but it won't hurt to make sure you at least are eating some carbs the night before. I always have a single serving of whole wheat pasta, red sauce, with a little ground beef or turkey in it the night before a half. I make sure that I don't eat any more than I usually do and like everyone else said, nothing new or nothing that might upset my stomach. The morning before I eat a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter, but really the only reasoning for that is I have a really sensitive stomach and that's the only thing that doesn't mess with it. During the race I just use a little bit of gatorade. You are lucky you can use Gu's, I trained with those for my first 1/2 and used them during the race and though I was able to make it through, the rest of the day was not pretty!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/how-to-carbo-load-for-a-marathon/

Just read this article the other day. It recommends massively carb loading the day before a marathon. Of course, that's for competitive racers going for the absolute best time that they can. Still, running low on glycogen can be frustrating. I've found that my legs often feel "lighter" on days when I ate really well the day before, and far more sluggish on days where I've really been focusing on cutting.

Carb-loading is most effective 48-72 hours leading up to the race, not necessarily within the last 24 hours. If you eat a little more in the week leading up to your race, you don't have to worry about low glycogen stores, even if you eat sparsely the day before...
    Actually, I found myself running much better NOT loaded. My energy was cleaner, more efficient somehow.
    Hope this help!
    Cheers,