Have you experienced and broken a plateu?

Options
Hey guys. I'm 6 weeks into my plateu and I want to get some real life statistics.
It would help if I could just get feedback from people who have been through this - not just advice that people have read somewhere - I've read it to.

The first thing you probably need to know is that I am right on the border of a normal/overweight BMI
When I train my cardio is interval training
I lift weights 3 times a week.
1/3 times its more endurance based (lots of reps, lighter weight)
2/3 times I lift heavy.

I was losing weight consistantly for 16 weeks.
I had a few off weeks where I ate around maintenance,
But I have lost 13kg in that time.
I was basically at a 1000cal deficit every day.

6 weeks ago everything stopped.
I joined a boot camp 8 weeks ago so my workouts have changed dramatically, I am/have always been burning about 500-700 calories per workout but the type of activities I have been doing since the plateu started have changed dramatically.

My calorie deficit for 5 out of those 6 weeks is still about 1000cal per day (so 1kg per week loss expected)
Around the middle of this time week I was depressed about the plateu and ate at maintenance for a week.

So there is a little bit of the story.

Last week my personal trainer said that perhaps I should just up the intensity of my workouts.

The MPF community (from the history of posts that I have read) would generally tell me to reduce my daily calorie deficit - not to increase it.

What the hell do I do?

My workouts have changed.
I ate at maintenance for a week with no change afterwards.
I tried intermittance fasting for 3 weeks on a monday during that time.

Ive looked through my history and typically my macros are 40-50% carbs, 30-40% protein
I thought about trying to eat low-carb for a while but in my experience when I eat low carb I end up eating only about 800 - 1000 cal per day - and ive never tried eating low-carb when I've been in the habit for working out soo much.

I really need some help. I cant think of any more relevant information to share.

Replies

• littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    bump - can anyone help?
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I had one for months that made me crazy!! I did a lot of reading and researched the TDEE / BMR numbers, etc. as I had been eating the recommended 1200 cals for months. I did really well at first and lost 7 lbs pretty quickly. then nada.... I couldn't figure out why since I was only eating between 800 - 1200 cals per day net. Doesn't a large deficit equal large weight loss? Not for me...

After spending a lot of time on different websites, and doing different calculators, here is what has worked for me:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I didn't want to base my numbers on exercise that I MIGHT do, even though I'm consistent, so I factored in my TDEE at the Sedentary rate - 15% (I don't have much to lose).

I am 5'5" and currently 136.4 lbs. My BF is 22.7 % and am 40 years old. I went to the Scooby Workshop website to calculate my calorie needs for the day and use those numbers. If you know your bodyfat % then a more accurate calculation is using the Katch-McArdle formula according to them. These stats give me:

BMR - 1405
    TDEE - 1686 (at Sedentary)
    Calorie Requirements to lose 0.5 lb per week - 1433 (this is at a 15% deficit)

Sooooo, what I did after that is reset my MFP daily goals at 1450 cals per day NET! I eat back ALL of my exercise calories.

The second thing I did was purchase a HRM to accurately guage what I was burning during my workouts. You would be surprised at the discrepancies between estimates! I do an intense bootcamp class 3 x per week and run on my off days. Either a few miles or sprint intervals, depending on how I feel that day. Depending on what we are doing in bootcamp, my burn could be anywhere from 240 cals to 350 cals....WAY under what I thought!!! If I was to eat back what I GUESSED I was burning, then I would be eliminating any deficit I had for the day. Keep in mind that the muscle you're building will burn more calories at rest, and you get a great 'afterburn' from weights that will last for hours after, so even though you're not burning as large of an amount during your workout, the after effects far outweigh doing just straight cardio!!! Heavy lifting is the best thing you can do for your body!! I used to do both on the same day, but have stopped doing that. A little bit of something 6-7 days per week is better than a huge amount of exercise 3-4 days per week. (for me anyway).

The last thing I do is stop stressing and trust the process. I eat whatever I want and try to make sure that it fits into my calories for the WEEK. I've been eating Halloween chocolate like it's going out of style (yesterday that's all I had for lunch), and I was down a half lb this morning. I was way over my calories on wednesday, and was under Monday and yesterday. The little weekly graph on MFP shows me at an average of 1453 cals per day for the week so far.

I weigh myself every morning, but only log the progress if it's less than the last entry. sometimes there will be 2 weeks of no change, but then all of a sudden there's a 1 lb loss showing on my graph. If I take the total loss and divide it by the amount of weeks, then I AVERAGE a 0.5 lb loss per week.

This method has been easily sustainable for me....slow and steady with zero deprivation!!

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so it's hard to get an idea of what is wrong, but I would say at a 1000 calorie deficit it sounds like you are eating too little.

I did have a plateau not so long ago while I was on 1600 cals a day after exercise. I read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

and upped my cals to 2000 a day, which is 20% below my TDEE. The weight has started coming off again.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went through MONTHS of what I thought were plateaus. I did every calculation on the planet and I went to a registered dietician for advice. I finally came to the realization that the calculators out there were just based on average numbers.

I googled "RMR testing" including my area. I found a place that does actual RMR testing. I had to fast and not exercise for 12 hours prior to the test. No water, coffee, etc.

It was a breathing test where they measure CO2 output to accurately gauge your RMR.

Turns out every calculator out there put me at 1490 RMR but in reality, my RMR was only 1022. That was why I couldn't lose weight. I went back to the dietician and she said those tests are extremely accurate.

You may want to look into this test for yourself. It could give you answers about your body.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I lost 30 lbs. During that period, I hit a plateau. What broke it for me was really changing up the foods I was eating. I was trying so hard to eat low-cal, that I was not eating enough real food - and my body had just gotten used to the same meals and snacks. I switched to lowfat/full fat dairy, regular salad dressing, more fruits and veggies, and larger portions of protein. It got the losses going again.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I went through MONTHS of what I thought were plateaus. I did every calculation on the planet and I went to a registered dietician for advice. I finally came to the realization that the calculators out there were just based on average numbers.

I googled "RMR testing" including my area. I found a place that does actual RMR testing. I had to fast and not exercise for 12 hours prior to the test. No water, coffee, etc.

It was a breathing test where they measure CO2 output to accurately gauge your RMR.

Turns out every calculator out there put me at 1490 RMR but in reality, my RMR was only 1022. That was why I couldn't lose weight. I went back to the dietician and she said those tests are extremely accurate.

You may want to look into this test for yourself. It could give you answers about your body.

That is really interesting! I would be interested in doing it just to find out what my numbers really are.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    More protein