Anyone taking amitriptyline

Options
Not sure if this is in the right place if not I apologise. I have just been prescribed amitryptilline by my neurologist for migraines. I have researched the side effects and found drowsiness and weight gain is some of the side effects. I don't need weight gain and lack energy as it is so don't need either of these. If anyone is taking it have you found many side effects and if so what and how severe. Background info I have suffered migraines from childhood decreasing after the birth of my 1st child but returning after my twins were born. I also have raynauds disease and am under the care of a rheumatologist ? Lupus ? Fibromyalgia all tests currently negative. Referred to neuro after increasing migraines, lethargy, neck pain and numbness to face. I am having a MRI scan on Sunday. I don't allow this to interfere with working out doing weights and cardio 6 days a week I sometimes have to push myself but the lethargy is worse if I don't work out. Any advice from people in a similar situation.

Replies

• MrsNANSEE
    Options
    I was on it for migraines and i did put weight on.But that was down to me eating the wrong things.Try and keep to your diary.
    I did experience hair loss too.It came out n handfuls so i came off it.What i would say is,give it a try for 3 months and see how you get on with it. xxxx
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I used it for quite a while, once at bedtime for migraine prevention. It takes a while for you to acclimate to the extra drowsiness in the morn, but it does go away.

I'm on 2 meds whose side effect is weight gain, you don't magically "gain weight" - keep exercising and eating right and you can counter that :)
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed that for preventing migraines also by my GP. My Gyno was very upset when she found out because all of her patients have gained a lot of weight on it. I gained 15 lbs before I took myself off of it. That was the choice I had to make. It did reduce the migraines though but since I was already obese, I did not want to make it worse. My GYN said most of her patients gained 30 lbs +. All medications affect each person differently though so maybe you should give it a shot with watching what you eat carefully and see what happens. I swore it was a miracle drug until I saw my weight gain. Good luck as I know how life changing migraines are :cry: