sodium...my enemy

Options
I was recently diagnosed with Meniere's disease (problem with build-up of fluid deep within inner ear which causes extreme ringing of ear, hearing loss, and sometimes nasty vertigo). Dr says to keep sodium to @1000mg/ day. I have found this is just shy of impossible! Especially if you eat at a restaurant. There's sodium in nearly EVERYTHING! The 'healthy' options at restaurants may be low cal or low fat, but they are absolutely LOADED with sodium!

Even at home... unless I eat cream of wheat and salad (without dressing) all day, I am bombarded with sodium. Deli turkey, healthy bread, you name it... full of sodium. I am looking for some new food options that are low in sodium. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Replies

• countingdown
    countingdown Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dietz and Watson has cold cuts that are low in sodium.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That's a difficult challenge. WebMD is a reputable source of information; you may find some ideas through this link:
    http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=sodium&sourceType=undefined

Just scroll down a little. Good luck :drinker:
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my sodium too b/c of a heart problem. I've found the trick is to eat clean- check out the Clean Eating Cookbook by Tosca Reno and there are a ton of good recipes! I also eat Ezekiel Bread- only 80 mg of sodium per slice, eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and fresh meats. Try using the Mrs. Dash spices- they are salt and sodium free!
  • freeflower3
    freeflower3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bake a chicken and use it as lunch meat for the week. It's cheap too!
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    i used to stay under 900mg sodium per day due to high blood pressure. it's really not that hard once you take a second to sit back and look at your options. i started cooking only whole foods and using a lot of spices. i then could add a little bit of salt (fancy unprocessed course salts have far less sodium than typical table salt) and just keep track of it to the pinch. there is a bread called ezekiel 4:9 low sodium that actually has no sodium. it is actually pretty good with unsalted peanut butter and strawberry preserves! i still eat pretty low sodium most of the time...i eat a lot of veggies roasted with herbs...sweet potatoes with a little coconut oil and hot pepper...chicken grilled with herbs and spices...sandwiches with homemade hummus, sprouts and avocado...plain yogurt (yes...sodium, but you can go up to 900) with honey and blueberries...baby romaine salad with apple, onion and hard boiled egg, etc. you can actually have all sorts of yummy things. find a no-salt seasoning blend you like...that will help. make things spicy. use fresh herbs like cilantro and basil. you can do it...you may have to change your normal eating habits, but you can do it. it's good, in a way, because i defy you to eat unhealthy on a low-sodium diet unless you can live off of jolly ranchers!!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to cooking light magazine which may offer lots of suggestions for you...I find they use lots of ingrediants and spices to lower fat and sodium...you can check out their website @ www.cookinglight.com
  • kykimmy
    kykimmy Posts: 13
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of your great suggestions! Great ideas that will really help. Bless you:)