Eating enough calories on high protein/low carb

Options
I'm going a high protein/low carb approach to losing weight. I don't always track my calories since I eat pretty similar each day but when I do I'm finding I seem to be well under what MFP recommends. Should I be worried or is it not as a big a deal? I feel like I eat plenty, usually 5-6 times a day, and I'm never hungry so I'm not really sure what to do. I will say this also, I don't religiously measure my foods so maybe the weights are off. I also don't really factor in cooking oils (I'm only using enough to coat the pan so meats don't stick). Anyone else have a similar problem?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing/measuring and not counting oil then you're probably much closer to your calorie goal than you realize. the only way to be sure is to actually track everything for a few days.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    when in doubt, eat a tub of 4% cottage cheese, or add some more ribeye to your diet.

You are super low on fat.
  • Kdub_80
    Kdub_80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I started a similar approach on 10/15, and prior to that I almost always struggled to stay within my calorie allowance, now I can't seem to hit it no matter what I eat. I feel like I'm tracking pretty accurately also. If I'm significantly lower then I try to add in something, like peanut butter, but if I'm not below 1500 I usually just take the deficit. I'm losing consistently, so I'm going to keep with that approach for as long as its working. Good luck!!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Oil can be pretty high. I'd say weigh it and log everything then take a look again. Add if still neccesary :-)
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    when in doubt, eat a tub of 4% cottage cheese, or add some more ribeye to your diet.

You are super low on fat.

I'm not sure about another whole tub a day but I think I may switch back to the 4% from the 1%. I'm going to give making my own a shot so I'll use full milk and buttermilk for that too. I like where your heads at with the steaks too LOL. Usually a weekend dinner for me.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I started a similar approach on 10/15, and prior to that I almost always struggled to stay within my calorie allowance, now I can't seem to hit it no matter what I eat. I feel like I'm tracking pretty accurately also. If I'm significantly lower then I try to add in something, like peanut butter, but if I'm not below 1500 I usually just take the deficit. I'm losing consistently, so I'm going to keep with that approach for as long as its working. Good luck!!

Yes! It just feels so weird. I did calorie counting/Weight Watchers for the first half of my loss and I was ALWAYS hungry it seemed like. Now I feel like I'm eating constantly. Filling your plate with veggies instead of mashed potatoes really seems to make a difference.
  • peterson_jessica
    peterson_jessica Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Yes! It just feels so weird. I did calorie counting/Weight Watchers for the first half of my loss and I was ALWAYS hungry it seemed like. Now I feel like I'm eating constantly. Filling your plate with veggies instead of mashed potatoes really seems to make a difference.

Protein also keeps you feeling fuller longer.
  • kiwisbird
    kiwisbird Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm low carbing and am avoiding all milk for a few weeks. Ditto dairy products except double cream and cheese.
    I found that the ratio 70% fat 20% protein and 10% carb is when I see the most loss and feel the best in myself
    I am on 3 meals and rarely feel hungry.
    I use coconut oil as well ...
    My husband is also doing it and both of us are finding it pretty easy... thus far