MyFitnessPal vs. The Treadmill

Options
I find a large discrepancy between what MFP calculates for calories burned vs. the cardio machine that I am on. It seems as though MFP is really high.

What do you rely on? MFP or the treadmill?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. It's the only way to really know.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I also use my HRM.

I found that the very first time I put something into the MFP exercises the cals burned number was ok. But as soon as I changed the time then the cals burned went totally out of whack, so the number on the treadmill was closer to accurate. The treamills at my gym are always over what my HRM says, but it's closer than the MFP numbers for me at this point.
  • phishn4peace
    phishn4peace Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with my Nike GPS app. It has an option to choose indoor treadmill running but that is always differnt from MFP and what the treadmill says.
  • andriadean7171
    Options
    hmmm i think i would rely more on a treadmill with a heart rate monitor.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Do you enter your weight in your treadmill? I know that MFP takes your weight into account and this may be where the difference lies. You burn more calories walking if you are heavier...
  • icimani
    Options
    hmmm i think i would rely more on a treadmill with a heart rate monitor.

The treadmills I use do have an HRM built into handles, and you do enter in your weight, so they'r e not too bad at estimating calorie burn. My problem with them now is that I'm working at not using the handles - improving balance, gait, etc, and I'm finding that I get more of a workout and I'm burning more calories if I'm not holding on.
  • jenguhl
    Options
    I've noticed MFP estimates the calories burned on the treadmill very high in comparison with my heart rate monitor but too low on the elliptical compared to the heart rate monitor.
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My treadmill only uses distance to calculate calories burned, so I use my HRM.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I always go by the bike/elliptical that I use since I don't have an HRM....but I do enter my weight and everything
  • justrunjon
    Options
    I only ever use 1 mile = 100 calories
  • amyrebtx
    amyrebtx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My treadmill thinks anyone that steps on it weighs 150 pounds, so no. It would overestimate my burn.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Actually, the most accurate would be a power meter...though that is not always practical (and its very expensive)...next best is a HRM...otherwise I find MFP much closer than most treadmills/elipticals.
  • mfigurski
    mfigurski Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback. I do put my weight in on the treadmill, elliptical, etc... so I have been using those numbers because they tend to seem more conservative.

I guess my next question is, does anyone have any recommendations on a good, but inexpensive HRM??
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback. I do put my weight in on the treadmill, elliptical, etc... so I have been using those numbers because they tend to seem more conservative.

I guess my next question is, does anyone have any recommendations on a good, but inexpensive HRM??

Define "inexpensive." If you buy online about the lowest you can expect to get an accurate, decent quality one for is in the neighborhood of $60.
  • mfigurski
    mfigurski Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would like to stay in the range of $100 or less.
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I really like my polar ft4, I got it on eBay for under $60, but they usually go for around $75. I waited til I found a good deal on a new one.
  • icimani
    Options
    Do a quick google search - the Polar FT4 is going for about $61 at several places.