Fad Diets: The American Way

Options
2»

Replies

• popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with that article completely! Both of my daughters are naturally thin, but also good eaters. They prefer healthy food over fast food. But, they have seen my struggles over the years, so they like to offer solutions for me that have worked for their friends.

Right now, my one daughter tells me about the Paleo diet. I'm opposed to any diet that eliminates entire food groups. But, I am in favor of reducing processed foods because I believe that is one of the three components that put this nation in our overweight condition. (eating out a lot, and lack of activity are the other two)

What I find amusing about ALL of the fad diets is that they all greatly reduce processed foods. Gluten free, South Beach, Paleo, HGC, etc... they all in one way or another have taken away processed foods as the main source of nutrition, and I believe THAT is why they all have temporary success.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    So what is not a fad diet? I think some of the diets he mentioned are more lifestyle changes in the end. Atkins is no 20g of carbs forever and the south beach diet ends up adding fruits and even grains by the last phase. I think some people need a blueprint on healthy eating and those books can be a way of helping to get to a better diet.

The downside to what you describe is the labeling of certain foods as "bad" or "dirty". No single food item, by itself, is inherently "bad". Those types of diets promote the feeling of guilt when eating a piece of cheesecake without taking into consideration that persons entire day of eating.

So many times you see people panic because they are invited to a buffet for lunch. Why? Because they don't take the time to learn how to integrate things into their day. They just assume that everything on that buffet is "dirty" because some dude told them that in a book.

No reason to add stress to your life when it's not necessary.

I don't necessarily agree that Atkins and south beach diets do that. I think that carbs, especially the "bad" carbs are eaten in excessive amounts by Americans as a whole. I think these diets offer a way to get people off the addictive cycle. Afterwards, they allow more "good" carbs in the diet until a person reaches their tolerance level. In a society where, generally, people are unaware of good nutrition, (or ignore it because it's too difficult), I think these diets help provide a roadmap to healthier eating. But, I am a person who can't lose weight while eating that piece of cheesecake. I can maintain fine eating that stuff once in awhile, but to lose, I must watch those foods. I cannot integrate those foods into my day while trying to lose, unfortunately.

Now you're making a particular macronutrient the fall guy to many people's struggles. Carbs aren't evil! Some people will argue that point. However, when calories are restricted, people can lose weight. The key for many to understand is the difference between weight loss and body recomposition.

People didn't get fat by eating too many carbs. They got fat by overconsuming calories in all forms