scale withdrawals..

Options
does anyone here feel like they cant live without their scale? I weigh myself in the exact same place at the same time every day. i feel like i have created this weird ritual.. i even have two scales of the same kind just to make sure the weight is accurate.. i think this is insane I am trying to wean myself off the scale ( quite literally hahah) but its so hard.. i didnt weigh myself this morning and I feel like i am having withdrawals.. anyone experience this? any advice?

much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ani

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Put the scale under your bed take it out ceremoniously once per week and give the weigh in a bit of pomp and circumstance and perhaps you will have an easier time with the withdrawals... I found myself heading into a love/hate type of relationship with the scale when my wife put it in front of the TV in my man cave. Its now safely stashed back under the bed...
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes! At one point I decided to weigh weekly but I couldn't not step on it so I stood outside while my other half hid it somewhere in the house and he only gave it back to me a week later. For the first few days I thought about it but after that I just didn't focus on the numbers so much :)
  • susanstar88
    susanstar88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After 'looking at my reports' this morning -- the scale is going bye bye for a while. My exercise is up -- I'm still working on eating 1200 calories per day (yes I'm one of those who doesn't eat enough) --- but the scale ... BLAH .... it is my death trap! I know it is just a number, I know it shouldn't matter -- I feel better & yes, I've lost inches but cripes -- I'm flipping into 65 in 4-weeks and I just want to be a few pounds less than I was this summer. Yes, I've lost some but I was nearly 195 when I started -- DAH --- that nearly scared the life out of me. Recovery from shoulder surgery & sitting around nearly all summer did a big number on me -- this works because I can still cook the way I want to cook -- we eat healthy and I love to find healthy ways to cook meals for us. And I do log every bite but I must withdraw from the scale & eat 1200 bites a day! So here I got... another day of exercise, eating & downing all my water - without a scale! Whew -- thanks for listening!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I got so obsessed with the scale that I made my wife hide it. The first week was rough but I'm over it now. I hardly weigh myself anymore. I take measurements to see progress and use the scale once every six weeks or so to validate lean muscle growth. At first I was only worried about what the scale said then I realized my body was changing and body composition was more important.

Scales lie and are misleading - take measurements.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I've used a scale since I was 17 and I am now 48. i see nothing wrong with weighing yourseld every day, unless you have an eating disorder, or body image issues.
  • lhapple82
    lhapple82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that makes my significant other hide it from me. I've actually decided that I'm not going to get on it until January 1st. I'm going to spend the next two months eating what I know I should eat and moving like I know I should be moving, WITHOUT the scale affecting my mood about it. We'll see how it goes :)
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I am sure some with disagree with me, but I do weigh daily. For me this is a good reminder of why I do what I do and it also helps me understand how easy it is to get off track and how eating (or drinking e.g. Wine) can halt your progress.
    I do worry about becoming obsessive, but I weight each day and then only base my weight loss on what the scale says every 4 weeks.
    I try to see it more as a reminder of why I am doing what I am doing and if I get off track it is easier to get back on and get it under control quicker.
    Like I said I am sure there are many people who disagree, but it works for me.
  • brookea87
    brookea87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I joined a group called No Weight November. Not going to weigh myself for the whole month! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9444-no-weigh-november. Hoping it will help.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm oppisent. I have scale fear. I avoid it like a virus. I need to be better about weighing in.

The wii fit plus thing wants me to everyday. Which more freq prob wouldn't hurt, but daily I hate. If I see any gain I get upset. (well, on the inside, but I'd never tell anyone I knew that.)
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, it has become part of my routine. Do I fret over the number every day? No, I fret over the trend. I've always said, "I don't care what i weigh, I just want to look good."
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, often multiple times a day. I don't see that there is anything wrong with it, since I know how my weight fluctuates and I don't get upset if it varies up and down. Actually, it's a little helpful in reminding me to drink more water if I am up from sodium. I also don't get upset if I'm gone for a weekend and can't weigh either, so I don't think I'm too obsessed with it. The only weight I count for my ticker is the first one on Friday morning. That's the official weight and anything else I may see is just for my own personal information.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am sure some with disagree with me, but I do weigh daily. For me this is a good reminder of why I do what I do and it also helps me understand how easy it is to get off track and how eating (or drinking e.g. Wine) can halt your progress.
    I do worry about becoming obsessive, but I weight each day and then only base my weight loss on what the scale says every 4 weeks.
    I try to see it more as a reminder of why I am doing what I am doing and if I get off track it is easier to get back on and get it under control quicker.
    Like I said I am sure there are many people who disagree, but it works for me.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it... If its working don't change it... Too many people want to preach what has worked for them... You go girl and keep workin' it...