Goat cheese with avocado, walnut pesto and watercress

Options
rynomite57
rynomite57 Posts: 61 Member
This was a vegetarian dish I made last night from Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft book. The recipe calls for celery, but I'm not a fan, so I just seasoned the goat cheese with celery seed.

The calories from the fat are coming from the pesto and the vinaigrette, but also the avocado, which is good fat, I believe.

Calories: 499
Fat: 39
Carbs: 39
Protein: 17

http://foodchain09.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/goat-cheese-with-avocado-walnut-pesto-and-watercress/

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have an avocado I needed to use tonight. Going to change the recipe a little. Leave out the bread and, instead of a sandwich, I am going to stuff the avocado with the goat cheese& Walnut Pesto filling.

Let you know how it turns out on Monday.
  • rynomite57
    Options
    That sounds awesome! I may actually have some of it today as a salad and replace the pesto with just some fresh nuts. That's the beauty of that book. Everything is something you can make into a sandwich or something you can make into a meal. Cool concept.
  • missvixxen
    missvixxen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tom is the best! Have you been to 'Witcraft? Great sammies... I've gotta make this one!
  • rynomite57
    Options
    Never. I wanted to go to one in Vegas, but the people I was with didn't want to just have sandwiches. The book is great. Maybe I'll hit one up in NYC over the winter though.

More recipes from the book forthcoming! Stay hungry.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Had good intentions to prepare this Saturday night. Didn't work out. Morphed into something completely different.

I was BBQing Porterhouse Steaks and threw some Mushrooms on the grill. Brushed them first with Melted butter, garlic and olive oil.

Then I mixed butter, pesto, garlic, goat cheese, parmesan and walnuts together. After the mushrooms were about 75% done. I turned the mushrooms over, stuffed with the above concoction and moved off the direct heat while I grilled the steaks.

They were very good. Last night, my daughter and Granddaughters were over and I heard my wife telling my daughter about the mushrooms. Said they were unbeliebably delicious.

Soetimes things don't work out EXACTLY as planned but they still work out.
  • rynomite57
    Options
    Awesome! That's the best part about cooking: you don't have to do it like the recipe says, from subbing a thing or two, to creating a completely different dish from the basics of it.

I'll have to do this for the lady soon. We eat a lot of steak and mushrooms at my place.