JM: 30 Day Shred BreakDown

Options
I own all but 2 of her newer workout dvds and really should be in better shape than I currently am....but I'm getting there.

I did 30 day shred last year and ripped in 30 and have continued incorporating the workouts since. Sometimes even doing the ENTIRE DvD at one time (which if you do this - SUGGESTION: start with the highest level and work down. That way the easiest level is LAST)

Recently a friend of mine on here saw that I was doing her Shed & Shred DVD
jillian_michaels_125.jpg
and asked what I thought of it compared to the 30 day shred and really Ripped in 30

This last week I did each level of 30 day shred
Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred-B00127RAJY-L-283x400.jpg
Currently I am 5'5" and 155lbs

Monday: Level 1 - Burned 230 Calories
Since I've done this level SO many times, I used 8-10lbs weights for the strength portion and 5lbs weights during the cardio
I did regular pushups (didn't drop to my knees) and really tried to push myself as hard as I could
My HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) breaks up my workout into 3 intensity levels and each level was about equal

Tuesday: Level 2 - Burned 249 Calories
Used my heavier weights for strength and added lighter weights for cardio
Half the workout was level 3 intensity

Wednesday: I didn't do a Jillian workout - took my daughter trick or treating

Thursday: Level 3 - Burned 262 Calories
This level has more to do with Plyometrics for the cardio and using more of your body weight
Circuit 2 cardio, she already has you add your weights
Half the workout was level 3 intensity and the other half split equally between level 1 & 2

Tonight I'll start Ripped in 30 and get the results of each level for that like I did with this one.

For beginners, I think this is a GREAT DvD. You can easily modify to make it easier or harder but either NOT using weights or increasing the weights you do use. Doing multiply levels is another way to get a harder workout as well. You could easily burn over 600-700 calories if you did the whole hour!
No the levels aren't just 20mins - averaged 26-27 mins - still that's a pretty could burn for under 30mins and not only are you getting your cardio burn but strength.

I hope this helps anyone looking to do this dvd and I'll be posting a Ripped in 30 Topic on Monday with those results

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Every other Jillian Michaels thread gets attention....not mine :laugh:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Great info.

I found that I get better results if I do not do Jillian ever day, but if I alternate with just cardio every other day.
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    I'm having the inches vs scale battle lol
    I see changes in the mirror....in my clothes....nothing on the scale lol
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I just completed 30DS and about to do Ripped.
    I didnt see anything move on the scale for about 2 weeks and then started seeing it go down.
    I lost 8lbs and 7 inches and was thrilled!
    Can't wait to see results with Ripped. I may also get Extreme Shred/Shed also.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My scale doesn't move much either, but only have a few more pounds to lose. I've been running 3 times per week and started 30DS on Sunday as I relly need to tone up these old muscles!
  • Ericaalicia0608
    Ericaalicia0608 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just started 30day shred on Monday. I keep hearing you don't drop pounds but you lose inches, so well see how it goes. If all is good may attempt the Ripped. :)
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    JM kills me , I have yet to complete a programme fully. I feel like I'm gonna throw up everytime. I am 5'6 and weigh 140lbs, and I can run 5k comfortably. I do feel like I look better after her workouts though, after the greeness has gone. I have 30ds, 6wk 6pack and extreme shred and shed. I alternate all three about 4 days a week so I don't get bored and my body never knows what the hell is going on. Definately doing me good though x
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just started 30day shred on Monday. I keep hearing you don't drop pounds but you lose inches, so well see how it goes. If all is good may attempt the Ripped. :)

I also lost 2" from my hips in under a week last time I restarted shed and shred. I bounce back into shape so fast with gillian x
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    This morning was day 7 of 30DS, and I also bought the Ripped in 30 dvd at the same time. I'm still on level 1-i don't want to move up until i can do a "real" pushup. I was getting too bored with my gym routine. I can feel the muscles getting stronger, and I can tell things are tightening up (especially my thighs!), but it's nice to see the success others have had. Scale hasn't moved in about 6 weeks...so frustration is VERY near. Glad to know this might be the light at the end of my tunnel!
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    JM kills me , I have yet to complete a programme fully. I feel like I'm gonna throw up everytime. I am 5'6 and weigh 140lbs, and I can run 5k comfortably. I do feel like I look better after her workouts though, after the greeness has gone. I have 30ds, 6wk 6pack and extreme shred and shed. I alternate all three about 4 days a week so I don't get bored and my body never knows what the hell is going on. Definately doing me good though x

Do you eat right before or close to the workout?
    I usually will workout first thing in the morning or right after work before dinner. An empty stomach makes that easier for me personally
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    I just completed 30DS and about to do Ripped.
    I didnt see anything move on the scale for about 2 weeks and then started seeing it go down.
    I lost 8lbs and 7 inches and was thrilled!
    Can't wait to see results with Ripped. I may also get Extreme Shred/Shed also.

I actually liked Ripped better than 30 day shred and shed & shred is fun b/c she incorporates kick boxing and yoga
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    This morning was day 7 of 30DS, and I also bought the Ripped in 30 dvd at the same time. I'm still on level 1-i don't want to move up until i can do a "real" pushup. I was getting too bored with my gym routine. I can feel the muscles getting stronger, and I can tell things are tightening up (especially my thighs!), but it's nice to see the success others have had. Scale hasn't moved in about 6 weeks...so frustration is VERY near. Glad to know this might be the light at the end of my tunnel!

Adding hand weights to the cardio will really boost that arm strength too!
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    I love Jillian, I've got a load of her DVDs and change them up so I get a varied week. I've really seen the difference in inches and pounds! I've not got RI30 or Shed and Shred yet, though. I'll wait till I'm bored of the ones I have, I think.
    I'm still on level 1-i don't want to move up until i can do a "real" pushup.

I think I'd be on level 1 until next summer if I was that dedicated - I can do the rest of it at the hard level with 7lb weights but I cannot for the life of me do "proper" pushups, well not more than one anyway. I don't know if it's that my technique's wrong, or I'm just not quite strong enough, or if my long arms and torso are working against me or what! Maybe one day...