Diet pills

Options

Replies

• SassyWifey
    SassyWifey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Diet pills have their place when under the supervision of a medical professional, more specifically, a bariatric doc. There are two new approved meds out there, one of which is a stimulant and the other I can't remember. I don't take them because I take other meds that mess with my liver and unwilling to add more. But I think they really do have a place when used appropriately.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    ft2-27.jpg

this episode is all you need.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I take Lipozene that I get from Walmart (a double pack for just under $20 and no shipping), and I seem to lose more weight than when I've not been taking them. I was on them for almost two weeks and was losing daily, then quit taking them to see if they really made a difference. After about three weeks without them, I would gain and lose the same 2-3 pounds no matter how much I exercised, and I was staying within my food goals daily. I guess it depends on the individual, but I know it helped me. I'm back on them and have been losing again.

till you stop taking them again....what a roller coaster
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    which diet pill?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I take Lipozene that I get from Walmart (a double pack for just under $20 and no shipping), and I seem to lose more weight than when I've not been taking them. I was on them for almost two weeks and was losing daily, then quit taking them to see if they really made a difference. After about three weeks without them, I would gain and lose the same 2-3 pounds no matter how much I exercised, and I was staying within my food goals daily. I guess it depends on the individual, but I know it helped me. I'm back on them and have been losing again.

So. You gonna take those the rest of your life then?
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    :angry:
    NO...just NO.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll be the odd ball...I'm actually on a prescription diet pill. Orlistat aka Xenical aka when its over the counter known as Alli. I have been on it for 3 months under close supervision, blood work checks etc etc. No problems so far and I have dropped 32lbs in 95 days. However, I do the work needed as well, I don't expect the pill to do it all for me. It isn't an appetite suppressant, it doesn't raise my heart rate or get me "high". It is a fat blocker. It has helped teach me and get me on a good path of healthier eating and I still have to have a reduced calorie diet. My dr refused to put me on phentermine which I completely agreed with as it can be highly addictive, raise heart rates to unsafe levels, causing cardiac arrest and death. It teaches you nothing.
    My diet pill is FDA approved and I have had no harsh side effects internally or externally. I followed the rules of the pill. It is not a long term solution, it was just something my dr and I decided would be good to give me a head start and give me that push I needed to get on the right path and do things on my own. Next month I will go off of it and will continue to do the same things I have been doing.
    Alright MFPers..gimme your worst cause I'm sure someone is not going to agree with anything I Just wrote lol. :bigsmile:
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    If it was a good idea nobody would make money from it, because it would work and there would be no fat people....

/\ /\ /\ THIS!!!
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    When you've gotta cram for the big exam!

139046_o.gif
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options

139046_o.gif

I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO... SCARED!!

There is nothing in OTC diet pills that do anything. They have caffeine, which is an appetite suppressant, but you could just drink tea or coffee, too. Tastier and cheaper.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

139046_o.gif
    IM SO EXCITED
    IM SO EXCITED
    IM SO...LMAO
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Always a good idea!! Science and technology has advanced us, so stick with science and bio-engineering!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If it was a good idea nobody would make money from it, because it would work and there would be no fat people....

/\ /\ /\ THIS!!!

OMG - I love your avi - Ab Fab is well....fab!!

Oh, and OP, generally they are a bad idea as they are a waste of money. Usually its the caffeine that does help, if at all.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Diet pills have two different mechanisms that make them work usually.

1. Caffeine (holy smokes its also in coffee, sodas, teas, etc.). In this route, you're basically paying a huge amount for coffee in a pill.

2. Preventing absorption in the intestines. In this route, your body is prevented from being able to absorb certain aspects of food (one popular one was to prevent fat absorption) so that you process fewer calories. This makes the particular food item just go through you. It can cause malnutrition. Additionally, in the case of the fat blocking one, excessive diarrhea. To get the same results: eat less.

Overall: Fiscally not worth what they offer.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Bad Idea! Enough said. The side effects outweigh the benefits all the time.

There's a bit of fear mongering in your post.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

139046_o.gif

One of my favorite episodes haha!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I have tired the natural stuff.. ya know? Eating at a deficit is what works. I was tempted to buy the newest Dr. OZ show fat burner ..then I thought? nope... I'll pass and just keep tracking my calories. The diet pill appeals to the "quick fix" in all of us.
  • jobiheps
    Options
    It's deffo the quick fix that's attractive! And knowing the hard slog it takes to get the results u want! ....
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. In the long run all of those diet pills will really mess up and slow down your metabolism. If you need a jump, caffeine is a better way to go. Besides, most diet pills have caffeine listed as a main ingredient. Coffee minus the sugar is all I need on any given day for added energy. Best wishes with your weight loss journey :-)
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    In my experience any weight lost with diet pills just piles right back and then some once you stop. The side effects are usually ridiculous. About 10 years ago before the ban of ephedra, I used to take Stacker 2 and Xenedrine. I've never been one for moderation when it comes to "feel good stuff" so I abused the pills, lost a bunch of weight but had crazy mood swings and even suicidal thoughts when "coming down". After I stopped taking them, I gained all the weight I lost back.

Most recently about 5 years ago I started taking phentermine 37.5mg, I loved the way they made me feel. It was like coke in a pill and made me feel euphoric and full of energy..at first. I lost about 100lbs in less than a year but at that point I was taking 7-8 pills a day because you build a tolerance to them and they eventually stop working. I depended on the pill and became scared to eat. I alienated myself from my anyone who warned me against the pills, I became really depressed and developed insomnia which is something I still struggle with to this day. The long term side effects just aren't worth it.

It's been a long road to recovery. I'm clean of any drugs now, and I'm not trying to sound corny or give you a sermon as if I were some after school special but the only way to true weight loss success is with a proper diet/eating in moderation and exercise. There is no easy way or quick fix.

Best of luck to you!