Any tips on getting over a plateau?

Options
Howdy I'm new to the posts here, I lost 70 pounds a few years ago and found that I'd gained 10 back. I'm having a tough time taking off those pounds.:grumble: I'm exercising daily, doing strength and cardio on different days and I'm typically staying within 1000-1200 calories daily. I'd like to have it off in the next six weeks....thanks for reading. :smile:

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Well, eat more food - make sure you eat back your exercise calories. This is where my problem lied when I hit a semi plateau. That should help.

Also you can change what you do - like instead of doing the treadmill, try rowing, or swimming, etc.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories if you're only eating 1000-1200 calories and you are exercising.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I agree... eat more! My nurtirtionist said it's as simple as adding a piece of fruit or extra veggie to every meal! You can do it!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you need a min of 1200 calories and eat them all AND eat back all your working out calories! The weight will fall off after that, good luck!
  • hjmygatt
    hjmygatt Posts: 79
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. Eating more (healthy) calories will help you loose weight.
    As an example-- I had aboutr 7 pounds left to loose and had been stuck at a plateau for about a month. I re-evaluated my weight loss goals, changed them to a more realistic 1 pound a week, which upped my calories from 1200 to 1430, before exercise. I eat most of my exercise calories back, and I have lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks. So, it works!
    If you are worried about it, try eating more calories for a few weeks, and see what happens. I think you will be pleased.
  • amijay77
    amijay77 Posts: 13
    Options
    The most i have managed to lose is 7 lbs and for the last 4 weeks nothing has come off. I have tried lower my intake from 1800 to 1500 i added yoga to my walking - i am afraid that if this happens every lousy 7 lbs i will run out of calories to shave off and time to add excercizes before any real weight is lost.
  • Buddhama
    Buddhama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow,thanks! I'll try it. Good luck to all of you!
  • ladybug220
    Options
    I hit a point where I was the exact same weight for about two and a half weeks. Normally I would have just given up and thought "it's not possible to loose weight, I'll be stuck here for the rest of my life"... but I didn't give up, and I'm back to loosing weight.

Whatever you do, just don't give up! keep going and you'll loose the weight. :)
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I forgot about eating more (healthy foods) to get over the plateau! Thanks ladies! Curves has a similiar diet where every third day you increase your calories...we just have to remember healthy calories not extra dessert!:bigsmile:
  • jigillies
    Options
    Hello :) I have been struggling with the same proble, for quite a while now...Upping your calories definitely will help, but it can be a hard thing to do because it seems counter-productive! Whatever you do, make sure you pay close attention to your body and how you feel, that will be the best way to tell what works best for you. Also, add in calories slowly, don't go from 1200 to 2500 in one week...start by just adding an extra100-200 for a week and see what happens. Keep us posted, and I feel your pain - i'm struggling with the same thing right now! :happy: