A Question for the Ladies....Men you may not want to read th

Options
Hey Ladies.....and Gents (if you boys decided to read anyways)
I have a question regarding your period and weight loss. I just started my weight loss journey mid January and after a couple of weeks of hard work and the loss of a couple of pounds, I noticed that suddenly I gained 2lbs. I was so upset because I had no idea how I could've gained 2lbs because I had been eating healthy exercising 7 days a week, etc. I hadn't changed a thing. That same day I weighted myself, I had gotten my period (lovely). Since then, everything has been fine..I have lost a total of 11lbs since my last period. Now, Aunt Flo has decided to visit once again, but although I haven't gained weight this time, I have only dropped about .5lbs (when I am averaging about 2-3lbs a week)....so my question to all you girls out there MFP world, do you find the same problem when you "weigh in" around the time of your period? Is this normal? If it is normal, I was thinking I may not even weigh myself at the time I get my period just so I don't have to be disappointed.
If anyone has any good tips also how to keep weight loss up while on your period as well, I would love to hear it! I have been drinking lots of water and staying away from chocolate and soda..but any other tips I would love to hear them!!
Thanks in advance girls and sorry about the messy topic!

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    That time of the month is notorious for adding 2-3 pounds (some women have more). Be patient and weight it out (haha... sorry-bad joke).

As soon as your visitor leaves, you'll find the weight coming back off.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    A LOT of women experience this when AF comes to visit. Generally, it's just water retention and bloating that causes the extra weight gain. Totally normal.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Yeah, those hormone shifts do have a way of messing with weight gain and loss. Breastfeeding was the one that always got me. I know people say you're supposed to lose weight like crazy nursing, but not at my house. Anyhow....I'd try to view it as a process. Maybe start weighing yourself once a week instead of daily and then look at your overall weight-loss for the month. Just keep on with your activities, do what you're already doing with the water, and give yourself some grace.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me too, I weigh on average 3-4lbs more during "the time" Then a week later, sometimes less, when it's over I drink my water like usual and it all goes back to normal.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Absolutely happens to me too!!! I won't loose any weight right before or during but then lose 3-4 pounds right after.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    You're perfectly normal. Some of us get more retention than others during that time. Too bad it doesn't always seem to come off as easy as it comes on!
  • jeanneisfat
    Options
    Yep that time of the month I always weigh more, I use to get frustrated too but then realized the weight is only temporary. =) You're perfectly normal!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    amg! I gain like a pound a day for 5-7 days! It was terrifying the first time, then I realized once those 5-7lbs came off, so did another 1-2 :D Its totally normal!
  • Sherry41
    Sherry41 Posts: 10
    Options
    It happens to me as well. But the weight does come off usually after a few days. You might want to try over the counter water pills - they really do help with the water retention.
  • abursey1
    abursey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for reassuring me that I am completely normal! Ah, I feel so much better now knowing that it happens to other women too! My shoulders suddenly seem a bit lighter....
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    yeah TOM is evil:devil: when he visits I stay off the scale. Water gain whatever, messes with the scale and you head.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yeah I notice I have very little weight loss during TOM and when I ovulate, GO FIGURE! Honestly, I just won't weight myself during that time.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Is there any truth to the Midol commercials about preventing bloat? And will it help with weight loss too during that time?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-5 lbs during my period. It does not bother me at all since I know it will go back down once the period is over.
    In fact I exercise harder during my period because the metabolism is higher during that time of the month
    and at the same time exercise helps relief some of the discomfort.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You might want to try over the counter water pills - they really do help with the water retention.
    Or, let nature run its course and forgo taking pills.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    amg! I gain like a pound a day for 5-7 days! It was terrifying the first time, then I realized once those 5-7lbs came off, so did another 1-2 :D Its totally normal!

Same here!