Hello! My story. This time is different (hopefully) :)

Options
rapat
rapat Posts: 108 Member
[Long post, but I just had the urge to write it all out]

I'm 32 years old. Have been in the 180-185lb range most of the past 14 years.

In April I moved to NYC and I've gone up to 205lb -- a little perplexing because I feel like I've been eating a bit healthier (not healthy, just healthier) and working out a bit more than I used to. So either I'm wrong and I've been eating worse, or maybe my metabolism has slowed. I also don't think I look bigger than when I was 185 -- so not sure if I just gained more muscle but didn't lose the fat -- or if its just a combination of those three things.

I've been self conscious of my weight for the past 8 years and have been trying to lose it -- got down to 160 once 6 years ago when I went crazy with the cardio for a month but then regained it once the crazy cardio stopped as my eating habits hadn't changed, and I've hit 170-175 a few times but then always reverted instantly.

2 months ago I joined MyFitnessPal, started logging food / exercise -- mildly changed my eating habits, and 10 days later I stopped logging and went back to my old ways.

2 weeks ago I attended a mindful eating lecture at my gym (they have 3-4 nutrition lectures every year), and one of the things they provided is their suggested food/fitness log -- which includes logging the time of the meal, rating your hunger level before/after meals and also space for comments/feelings with each meal.

So I got re-energized, and have been logging my food & fitness for the past 12 days in Microsoft OneNote. I chose it just cause I can make a daily log template with exactly what I wanted -- including the 3 things above. It adds some overhead cause I need to manually calculate calories, exercise time, weekly totals, etc -- ie don't have the nice generated reports.

And I've been using MyFitnessPal to lookup food calories, and read forums

So the past 12 days I've gone from 205 to 196lb -- a motivating start -- and I feel like this time around I might just have a greater chance of success of making it a permanent change.

What's different?

1. Logging has been keeping me accountable. 12-8 days ago I had a fair amount of cheating and eating bad snacks like doritos, but that’s steadily reduced. Logging failed 2 months ago, so on its own it wasn't the answer...

2. Weekly calories / fitness goals:

a. I averaged 2177 calories/day last week without any goal but to try to eat healthy, and had 3.8 hours of walking and 6 hours of weight/cardio exercise.

b. I made this week's goal to try to get to 1800 calories/day and to beat the amount of exercise from the prior week. So far -- 5 full days into the week, I'm averaging 1652 calories / day. I'm behind last week on the exercise though. I'm realizing what types of foods fill me up and that I should eat more of -- a 4 egg omelete fills me up -- high in fat, but only 280 calories. As does Pinto beans and salsa for 400 calories.

c. I've also made a goal to stick with this until Thanksgiving. And if I reach that goal, I might end up cheating thanksgiving weekend, but then I'll make another one to stay with it thru christmas. And so on -- daily/weekly/monthly goals. With the end game being to get to 160lb. And if I do that, then rethink what I want to do at that point.

3. I've been more mindful (as a result of the lecture suggestions) of portion sizes and waiting for my hunger/fullness signals to catch up. I've been eating portions -- like half a sandwich, then waiting 30 minutes to see if I'm still hungry and eating more if I am, otherwise eating more 2-5 hours later.

4. I started P90x -- I just can't self motivate myself to do cardio cause I find it boring -- ie running. But I do play hockey and have been going to a weekly bootcamp class. I figure as long as I follow P90x, I don't need motivation -- I just need something to keep me accountable.

5. Misc things: I bought a heart rate monitor but haven't started using it yet as it just arrived today. I bought a food scale and its helped me accurately estimate calories, as well as control portion sizes

6. Sticking to a diet for 12 days is the longest I have yet in my life, so there's hope it's not just a temporary thing.

Really in summary, it seems like I just need structure that forces myself to stay with it.

Concerns:

1. I'm pretty sure I can keep up the exercise level, so not too concerned about that -- other than I have some injury prone body parts so I just need to make sure I don’t over exert those and end up being sidelined.

2. I've got urges to eat till I'm stuffed -- its how I've been doing it for the past 30 years. I've been consciously following the mindful eating and forcing myself to take breaks, drinking water when I feel hungry, etc. Telling myself I'll feel guilty if I have a late night snack and then eating a banana or drinking water.
Its definitely not easy. I'm hoping it becomes a habit

3. Biggest concern is falling off the wagon. First 9 days I went without eating out at all. Past 3 days I've ate out mindfully -- a subway chicken sub, a healthy wrap, a bought salad today. Definitely crave having a burger or french fries or fried chicken -- but also a huge concern that if I might not turn back. So far I've just been telling myself its better to feel happy making a healthy choice than guilty making a bad one. Hopefully it keeps working

Anyways, if you've read this far I definitely appreciate it and if you have any tips will certainly welcome them :smile:
And I'll probably be using this thread as a periodic journal to write down thoughts/successes/failures/etc.

Replies

• bluemilan
    Options
    Welcome and I am sure this time will be different.

I love the way MFP allows you to track both diet and exercise and I feel we need both for any weight loss plan to work.

You appear to have the determination and if this starts to falter--come on to the support boards

We are all here for you and know this is a difficult journey.

LA x
  • deltalbarbie
    Options
    Good for you! We are all on the same journey and I hope that you suceed. I really like your outlook of "its better to feel happy making a healthy choice than guilty making a bad one". Thank you for letting us know what has worked and what has not. Keep up the good work!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an excellent plan. I like the mini goals you are setting (i.e. stick with it until Thanksgiving and then allow yourself a cheat weekend). Mindful eating is important because so many of us eat out of boredom or because we mistake thirst for hunger. I think the most important thing is to view the changes you are making as a lifestyle changes rather than temporary 'diet' changes. When you decide that you aren't going back to your old ways, the new ways have a better chance of becoming permanent. It sounds like you've got this. Best of luck to you!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Some things will become habitual, others will always be a struggle.

When I eat junk, I want more junk, so for me if I choose to have a candy bar, I have to be ready to deal with the craving that will follow. It stinks, but if I know its a package deal, I'm more mindful of when and why I treat myself. When I eat high fat, pizza & such I just feel full and heavy, do NOT want to exercise and tend to overeat or get "snacky". Not a good cycle.

Luckily a similar, but positive, cycle occurs when I exercise. When I do hard cardio my body craves healthy foods, especially fruits high in water and carbohydrates (contrary to popular belief they aren't all bad). When I lift or do hill workouts I want a nice lean steak. If you treat your body well, and learn to listen to it, a lot of times it will tell you what it needs.

For me it starts with having a plan to exercise and not letting myself make excuses. Even if I eat crappy and don't feel like it, I do it. This stalls the negative cycle a bit and starts turning it around. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes more than one good day to counteract the bad and get me going.

Anyway, best of luck and keep choosing to make each day a little better than the last. You'll get there.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement!

NotFortyYet -- thanks for the info.

I actually cheated a bit yesterday -- I went to my parents for the weekend, and induldged in mom's cooking -- 2800 calories total. Not horrible -- the food itself wasn't unhealthy, just more whole wheat flour, and olive oil than I should be consuming. But I don't expect it to sidetrack me this coming week -- ie I don't have the urge to continue eating like that on my own.

Ended the week at 1841 calories / day average. Failed at my 1800 goal -- due to yesterday's high consumption. But it's better than the prior week, so atleast there's some progress. Will aim to keep it at 1800 this week.

I came across this thread about intermittent fasting:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/695846-alternate-day-fasting
    Found the referenced video on youtube -- I'll watch it later in the day. I'm going to attempt it tomorrow