I need some help..

Options
I'll eat hardly anything all day,
and I'll get home and eat everything in the kitchen
or if there is nothing in the kitchen I'll go to mcdonalds or taco bell
I am definitely an emotional eater, I'll get stressed out, or I'll get "manic"
and not eat anything. Food is bad, you'll be fat, etc etc..
and then I'll get sad... and not stop eating, I'll eat until I feel like puking,
and then eat some more...

How did you get over emotional eating?
How did you get on track?
What do you eat now?
Do you feel happier now?
What changed?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    1st step - Eat breakfast and lunch. Lots of protein, some fat and whole grains with fruits and vegetables. Then you won't be as apt to overeat when you get home. You're probably starving by the end of the day, so it's no wonder you're overeating!
  • _tasteofink
    Options
    1st step - Eat breakfast and lunch. Lots of protein, some fat and whole grains with fruits and vegetables. Then you won't be as apt to overeat when you get home. You're probably starving by the end of the day, so it's no wonder you're overeating!

ok thank you :)
  • gemsp2
    gemsp2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree - it's important to eat breakfast, dinner and tea. I'm a snacker and I've found the best way to combat it, is to always make sure I've got a full fruit bowl - low in calories and satisfies the need to snack. By having a mid morning and mid afternoon snack, you should be able to see it through to tea time and not want to eat everything in sight. Hope this helps.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, sounds like you need to get stern with yourself and change your habits. I used to eat like a starved beast every day starting in the late afternoon. What works for me is to have 4 meals per day spaced 3 hours apart and drink at least a pint of water between meals.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Don't smoke so much weed on the way home from work? But seriously, the other posters are right - if you don't eat during the day, you;re going to have a hard time at night.

Emotional eating is tougher, though. I know it's not helpful,m but .. just don't. Maybe if you had a concise nutrition plan, you can adopt a mindset where "if it's not on the plan, I dont eat it, end of story"

If you;re interested in what I eat, check my journal. I think it's open. Just so I don't have to think too much about food, I eat nearly the same thing every day. I'm a creature of habit, so once I established my meals and they became habit, it got easier.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get into the mindset that you need to conserve your calories for the evening when you're more likely to overeat... but the truth is you will be WAY less likely to eat in the evening if you eat properly all day long. Budget your calories for each meal. I like to make lunch pretty big since I'm not much of a breakfast eater. In fact, my biggest meals sometimes are my mid-morning and mid-afternoon meals. Smaller ones for B, L & D.
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional over eater too. But I have found ways to combat some of my triggers. First, like everyone else has said, don't set yourslef up for failure. Make sure you have your meals and snacks handy. Keep some nuts or dried fruits etc in the car if you need to snack on the way home from work. Plan your meals for the week, make a menu on the weekend or make meals ahead of time and freeze them.

Learn your triggers: is it work stress, emotions, boredom, all of the above.
    Before you head to Taco Bell or where ever grab a piece of fruit, drink a glass of water, grab a 100 cal snack of pretzles or something.
    NEVER go shopping without a plan. I live and die by my shopping list. I find that if I go in without one I buy stuff I really don't want. Oh those cookies look good, and I can eat the whole package in the car before I get home. But I don't want to. So, stick to the list.
    Keep a food journal. What are you feeling when you eat something. Does it make you feel worse after you ate it. My son used to say "Mommy, my belly is full but my mouth is still hungry." I KNOW that feeling. Now I savor things more. That gross feeling I get from the fast food just isn't worth the minutes on the tongue for me.
    Be gentle with yourself. Emotional overeating didn't happen over night, it is a learned response. It takes time to unlearn it.

Good luck!! Friend me if you want, I know this path well.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'll eat hardly anything all day,
    and I'll get home and eat everything in the kitchen
    or if there is nothing in the kitchen I'll go to mcdonalds or taco bell
    I am definitely an emotional eater, I'll get stressed out, or I'll get "manic"
    and not eat anything. Food is bad, you'll be fat, etc etc..
    and then I'll get sad... and not stop eating, I'll eat until I feel like puking,
    and then eat some more...

How did you get over emotional eating?
    How did you get on track?
    What do you eat now?
    Do you feel happier now?
    What changed?

not eating enough will just wear you out and do more harm then good. Plan three meals with smaller snacks like nuts or fruit in between. The amount of calories you need would vary depending on your height but try to eat at least 1200 calories as a minimum. You can still have macdonalds and chocolate but everyhing in moderation.i think it may also be best to also talk to a therapist or a counsellor.