Sugar, sugar, sugar....

Options
I just added in my sugar to watch it. Well guess what I go over almost everyday. :( What can I do to get it down? I know, I know I need to stop eating sugar. But it truely seems like there is sugar in EVERYTHING. I stopped drinking soda because of the sugar.

Replies

• futureonfire
    futureonfire Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is sugar in everything! When you REALLY read the labels it's a real eye opener!

I honestly just went cold turkey, but I always have slip ups. (like lately) But about every 2 weeks I end up doing a sugar fast from EVERYTHING sugar for at least 3 days. This helps me stay in check. That way I can still enjoy the occasional sweet now and then but know that I am in control of it

Hope that helps:wink:
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    i dont pay too much attention to the sugar anymore. unless i know its something really bad for me. the other day i had an apple and a light yogurt for breakfast and a 2 oz bag of baby carrots and that was over my sugar for the day. which is pretty lame because none of that was really bad. you just have to kinda pay attention to what it is youre eating. fruits and veggies have natural sugars. but like i said, i just stopped paying attention to the sugars all together. it was just making me stress unnecessarily.
  • lighjo
    lighjo Posts: 1
    Options
    A good thing to do is to pick a specific day on which you allow yourself to eat sugar.
    Try to cut it out entirely (and all carbohydrates ideally) for 2 days straight, then on the 3rd day allow yourself some treats. You can keep doing this 3 day cycle over and over, and if you're really good on your 2 days without then over the week it averages out as a low sugar/carbohydrate diet and you will see the benefits.
    Also, as you always know the longest you will ever have to wait to eat something you're craving is two days it should be quite easy on the will power!
    The stricter you are on your no carb days and the lower GI the carbs you eat on your carb day, the better the results you will see.
    Also, a great craving-killer are the 'zero' fizzy drinks, Coke Zero, Dr. Pepper Zero and also the diet varieties - these taste sweet so kill cravings and the bubble 'fill you up' so you won't be so hungry - but remember they're still bad for your teeth, so if you drink a lot then brush a lot too!

Natural sugars in fruit aren't unhealthy but will stop you losing fat if that's your goal. If you're going to get sugar anywhere, that's the best place, but if you really want to lose fat, green vegetables should be your favorite carb source.

Good luck!
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Processed foods are loaded down with various not so good for you things, most are very high in sodium which in large amounts causes as many health related problems as excessive sugar does. Below is an excerpt from a good article on sugar located here: http://health.yahoo.com/experts/joybauernutrition/40/sugar-how-much-should-we-eat/
    ----
    Probably less than you're currently eating. That's because it's hidden everywhere and adds up very quickly. Here's the scoop:

The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends no more than 8 teaspoons per day of added sugar based on a 2,000 calories/day diet. That's 32 grams if you're reading labels, and about 6% of your total calories for the day. Sounds like a lot, but believe me... it's not.

32 total grams sugar/ 4 grams per teaspoon = < 8 teaspoons added sugar/day

Not all sugar is created equal. Here's the whole story on the good and the bad.

GOOD Sugars

These are the sugars that you don't need to worry about. They occur naturally in foods and also supply key nutrients. It's all good!

Low-fat milk (skim milk, soymilk, 1% low-fat milk)
    Fresh and frozen fruits (apple, blueberries, orange, pineapple, strawberries, banana, cantaloupe, etc.)
    Most Vegetables (carrots, tomato, zucchini, broccoli, spinach, cucumber, etc.)
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Yeah Sugar is impossible to avoid.

My two cents.

Eat sugar, just becareful with what you find yourself eating it with.

High Glycemic carbs/sugar/carbs in general should all be avoided together. Simply put. Only time I'm eating very sugary products is early in the day. Toward the evening I cut out a lot of the not so good carbs, concentrating on eating brown rice or yams if I need a good carb source. Typically I avoid carbs for dinner all together. This works best for me. Everyone is different. Its all about nutritional timing.
  • CareBearRN
    CareBearRN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thought the first thing on my first day...wow speghetti sauce has sugar!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Hey! Come join our thread, there are several people there who have been on MFP for a while, and we are sharing thoughts about sugar and all added sweeteners. We've been batting this issue around for a long time. Last year I got off sugar completely and now I'm in "moderate consumption" because, truly , a lot of processed foods have added sugars.

The recommended amount (2000 cal day diet) is 30-40g added sugar a day MAX. I'm usually at around 15g a day added. Mostly from bread and cereal. But you can find bread and cereal without sugar. I just use the really low sugar ones. Actually the sugar in the bread I buy is HFCS, but it's only 1g per slice. Not too bad.:ohwell:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79671-sugar-is-not-your-friend-part-2

We have all the different added sugars listed on the first page of the thread.