lunches!

lsilly15
lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
Im sick of my ham and cheese sandwich and my yogurt day after day.....

any filling, tasty lunch ideas i can prepare on sunday and have for the week?

Replies

• ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    I am a sandwich fanatic so I can't help you there, but instead of yogurt try baked sweet potatoes. I get small ones and bake three to four at a time to have for the week's lunches at 400 for 30-45 minutes. Then just reheat in a microwave for 25 seconds and eat them like an apple. Sooo good! It's like sweets and bread came together and made a healthy baby lol!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I love a cinnamon rasin bagel toasted with peanut butter along with a bag of emerald breakfast to go yum or a lean cusine lasanga/pizza
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Cous cous salad
  • melanie8289
    melanie8289 Posts: 161 Member
    How about some veg sticks and a home made tomato salsa - very low calorie and very, very tasty. If you want to add some carbs then add some crisp-breads or rice cakes. For desert how about a nice fresh pear or nectarine with home made blueberry sauce sweetened with candarell or similar sweetener - just throw a handful of blueberries and a splash of water in a non stick saucepan and boil until the blueberries have started to pop and the juice has thickened slightly. Add sweetener to taste. All can be served cold or, if you have access to a microwave try heating the blueberry sauce up (yum).
  • i've been lunching on soups lately because it started snowing here a few weeks ago. something about a warm tummy makes me happy, and many are really pretty low cal.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Salads & soup work, mexican fare (torta on sandwich thin, tacos, burritos... make your own), gyros, aram sandwiches, asian lettuce wraps, the trick is to make your own food in advance and take it with you... I often prepare four or five tupperware pieces with parts of meals to combine after warming... My wife loves the food I prepare because its better tasting and better for you than eating out or the typical pbj or ham n cheese.
  • kk1964
    kk1964 Posts: 46
    HI, i take low fat humous with lots of crunchy veg which i nibble over a couple of hours, it keeps me rally full till dinner time.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    I always plan my meals for the week on Sun, I try to plan dinners to have enough left overs for lunch the following day. When that doesnt work I will make a large pot of Chili and eat on it all week, or put a pork shoulder in the crock pot and shred it and eat on that for lunches.
  • Concentrating on protein:

Chicken - cook a bunch on Sunday, portion out and mix with salads or on a sandwich.

Enjoy shrimp? Buy the frozen cocktail pre-cooked shrimp. Take out whatever you want to eat the night before and throw in a plastic bag. By the time lunch rolls around you can take the tails off and throw it in a salad.

Tuna and Salmon packets - these are so super cheap. Throw a packet in a salad or on a sandwich with other fixin's.
  • vadarvs
    vadarvs Posts: 19 Member
    I try to cook/plan most of my lunches on the weekend. I usually grill some chicken breast and take with baked sweet potatoes. You can add the chicken on top of salad greens too. Soup or chili when it's cold or rainy outside. When I cook dinner, I prepare a lunch container right away.
  • Concentrating on protein:

Chicken - cook a bunch on Sunday, portion out and mix with salads or on a sandwich.

Enjoy shrimp? Buy the frozen cocktail pre-cooked shrimp. Take out whatever you want to eat the night before and throw in a plastic bag. By the time lunch rolls around you can take the tails off and throw it in a salad.

Tuna and Salmon packets - these are so super cheap. Throw a packet in a salad or on a sandwich with other fixin's.

Yum.. stealing this idea of shrimp!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Get out your crockpot, tons of things to make!

Chili
    BBQ pork
    Chicken Fajitas
    Tons of soup options
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    I *try* to bring a salad everyday and plop some kind of protein on it -- even if just a can of tuna. Not today -- I had shrimp & grits, yum yum.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I recently made a batch of chili that lasted me two weeks. I added a bit of cheese and crackers to it. Great meal!
  • dducroc
    dducroc Posts: 9 Member
    I like to make recipes from http://www.skinnytaste.com/. She lists all the nutrition info and a lot of the recipes make a bunch of servings. I always have the cheap plastic containers on hand and I freeze individual servings. Then just defrost as needed. Its great when you dont feel like cooking!
  • I have a very short lunch break, so I had a baked potato (can microwave), butter, & turkey bacon - I was pleased with a change & was full :)
  • My fave lunch lately has been a spinach leaf salad with a cut up hard boiled egg, which I use salsa for the dressing. I also eat a snack with it since that doesn't really fill me up. A low fat string cheese, special k cracker chips, or a 100 calorie greek yogurt. Depending on the snack it's 160-200 calories for the lunch.

I've heard a lot of people making lettuce leaf wraps out of whatever they would normally put on a sandwich...that'd be a simple change.

Some mornings I've made a quesadilla to stick in my lunch. To make a simple quesadilla in a frying pan you can use whole wheat tortilla, beans and/meat of choice, salsa or hot sauce, & cheese on 1/2 the tortilla, fold the empty 1/2 over and cook it frying pan til browned. Flip it over and cook the other side. I don't have access to a microwave at work but they are decent room temp or cold even.
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    I'm not a salad kind of person and can only eat sandwiches so many times a week. So, I usually grill chicken on weekend for lunches. I get the Potatoh! that you put in the microwave for 9 min. tablespoon of bbq sauce and butter, and 3 oz of the chicken on top. Yum!

Today I had a Whitewheat Hot dog Bun, Oscar Mayer light Beef frank, and 1/3 c. of Hormel Turkey chili. This is 250 calories.

I also like to cook Chili or Gumbo on Sunday and prepare some bowls for lunch the next week.
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    I also like to make a pot of Pintos and turkey sausage:happy:
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Have you thought of maybe shrimp cocktail? Thaw frozen shrimp. Bring a container of cocktail sauce and enjoy.