Swimming 5x a week. should I still go to the gym?

Options
With eating well and swimming 5x a week, will I see the same results as I would going to the gym or should I still go to the gym? I was thinking of going to the gym for weights and such, but is it smart?

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    depending on what you are doing in the water, swimming is a mainly cardiovascular exercise.. meaning you are burning calories and putting yourself at more of a deficit than you would be with just eating well. if that's good enough for you, then right on!

if you want to see muscle definition you should go to the gym though or do strength training at home :)
  • yussef71
    Options
    I guess it depends on how much swimming you are doing and how intense your swim is? I have found myself now doing a cycle 3 times per week up to 100 miles and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. I feel guilty if i don't get at least a few intense work outs. But if you enjoy it and aren't gonna burn out, why not?
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to the gym. Specifically for the fact that you're body is going to get used to that routine and you need to switch it up often so you don't hit a plateau.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I'm on the swim team so I practice my form pretty vigorously so I burn between 500-1000+ calories every morning (we practice at 6:15AM). I used to go to the gym for my StrongLifts routine, but I've not been able to due to work. But I think I may start going back. I want to lose inches.