I have a few questions...?

Options
1. I'm a little embarrassed to ask this but what the heck is "Macros"... is that calories?

2. Today I went over in protein I believe by 32 or so, is it bad for me to go over my protein?

3. I mainly focus on counting calories and every now and then go a little over on things shown in my diary (fat, carbs, protein) is that ok or do I need to stay under them all in order to achieve weight loss?

Background info. i'm almost 5'1" last time I weighed was 165.4 (almost a week ago) i'm obviously a female and i'm 22 years old. I have my goal set at 1200 calories a day and to lose 2 pounds a week. I did the BMR thing where you times it by 1.2 I think and then you subtract 500 from that and it gave me 1237 but I just stick to 1200.

So what do you all think? Always happy to receive advice.

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Macros are Protein, Carbs and Fat. Going over on your protein is not bad as long as you are still within your calorie goal. In fact, going over on any of your Macros is not a big deal as long as you are within your calories. MFP tends to set your protein goal too low anyway in my opinion so going over the MFP protein goal is probably a good thing. Weight loss will happen because of your calorie intake not because of your Macro intake. Your Macro goals are mainly just personal preference. Calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for clearing that up. I kept reading Macros and assumed it was calories but thought i'd ask. What a relief though because I always just try to stay under my calorie goal or meet my calorie goal.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That is the best approach, especially when just starting out. You can always change your macro goals in time as you learn more and see how your body responds to different things. Focus on calories first, then worry about the macro ratios as you move forward.
  • jnn0409
    Options
    Thank you for your advice :)
  • Tdaughtersmom
    Tdaughtersmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other person who answered you. Going over MFPs setting for protein is a pretty good thing. There's a post in the general fitness bord that explains how much protein, fat and carbs we need for our weight and fat percentage.

TOPIC: Stop the Low-Cal Insanity! se if you can do a search for it. It cleared up a lot for me.
  • jnn0409
    Options
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction along with your advice. Going to go try to find that now.