Glove suggestions?

Options
Looking for gloves for my body pump class (and weightlifting in general). I would like some gel padding and to be specifically for women. Trying to read reviews online and none of them really stand out. Thanks!

Replies

• sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My trainer advised me not to bother with gloves. Trust me, your hands will get used to it, and when/if they calus, you'll feel like a bad *kitten* mother!

I love having bruised calused hands. People fear me!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You don't need gloves. I lift heavy weights and my hands are like a baby's *kitten*. You just need to learn how to grip properly. Here's how...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I have some reading to do! :-)

Yes, my hands are getting calloused! :-/ Boo!
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    You don't need gloves. I lift heavy weights and my hands are like a baby's *kitten*. You just need to learn how to grip properly. Here's how...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s

I just watched the video and it's exactly what I needed- thank you!

Also thanks I almost spit out my water laughing- baby's *kitten*?! Haha! ;-)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do get gloves. Don't get ones with gel pads or any other gimmicky add on. They should have a solid surface with extra material sewn in where you hands touch the bar. Think of what cycling gloves look like. Hell, wear cycling gloves if you can't find a better option

You won't get calluses from lifting weights without gloves--LIES
    Gloves don't prevent calluses and you will still get them
    LIES
    Gloves will ruin your grip
    LIES
    Gloves will ruin prevent you from holding the bar in proper position
    LIES

These don't even make sense. It's like these things were made up by people from outer space that have never actually seen a glove before. Or maybe they tried to lift in mittens or something and had a bad experience. I don't understand it all all.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do get gloves. Don't get ones with gel pads or any other gimmicky add on. They should have a solid surface with extra material sewn in where you hands touch the bar. Think of what cycling gloves look like. Hell, wear cycling gloves if you can't find a better option

LIES
    LIES
    LIES

These don't even make sense. It's like these things were made up by people from outer space that have never actually seen a glove before. Or maybe they tried to lift in mittens or something and had a bad experience. I don't understand it all all.

Just food for thought from a different perspective...As women, we are already at a "disadvantage" if you will. Our hands are smaller than a man's. Thus it is more difficult for us to get our hands around a barbell. Add in the thickness of gloves, let alone gloves with "extra material sewn in where your hands touch the bar" and you bet your buttons it makes it all the harder to get our hands around that barbell. Add in any significant amount of weight and things get even more fun. Perhaps not for you, but your are a man at a "mechanical advantage" if you will.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

LIES
    LIES
    LIES

Just food for thought from a different perspective...As women, we are already at a "disadvantage" if you will. Our hands are smaller than a man's. Thus it is more difficult for us to get our hands around a barbell. Add in the thickness of gloves, let alone gloves with "extra material sewn in where your hands touch the bar" and you bet your buttons it makes it all the harder to get our hands around that barbell. Add in any significant amount of weight and things get even more fun. Perhaps not for you, but your are a man at a "mechanical advantage" if you will.

Fair point. If you have smaller hands than mine but have to use the same size bar I guess the added thickness could be an issue. I hadn't considered that angle before.

Except why was that article written for a full size man?
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    Body pump bars are smaller than your average bar in the gym. Just an FYI :-)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    get straps, but only use them for the heaviest sets you do
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is don't wear them.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

LIES
    LIES
    LIES

I stopped using gloves once I learned how to grip properly. I have zero calluses. I'm not lying.
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options

LIES
    LIES
    LIES

Fair point. If you have smaller hands than mine but have to use the same size bar I guess the added thickness could be an issue. I hadn't considered that angle before.

Except why was that article written for a full size man?

Probably because most articles regarding weightlifting are written with men as their target audience. Weightlifting is still generally regarded as a man's sport, thus not targeted often to women. Same reason why there isnt an oly bar to fit a woman's hand. ;o)
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well this brings up a good point...why ISN'T there an oly bar to fit my tiny hands?! Also thanks for the info on gloves, I'm getting to the point with my lifts where my grip is holding me back so this had some good information.
  • DontWeightStartNow
    Options
    I wear gloves - and just the kind that have leather and/or slim rubber on the palms of the hands and fingers mostly because I lift in the morning, I hate the cold and the bars are cold in the morning and I DO feel it helps me to grip the heavy weight as I lift heavy. Also, I do not like the feel of the hard metal in my palms.

Two different schools of thought here I guess, but if you don't like the feel without gloves of your hands on the bar or you feel gloves will help with your grip, then by all means, I would suggest you get gloves.