Exercises with Puppy

Options
I'm getting a golden retiever puppy in three weeks and I can't wait! I'd love to hear from other people about how they incorporated their pet into their training routine.

Replies

• Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Tooo easy...

Run ... Run... and more RUNNIN!

they love to exercise...work on your biceps/triceps with tug of war.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Chase them non stop to remove all of your valuables from their mouth.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Golden Retrievers are great dogs to run with when they get older - they've got plenty of stamina. I've got small dogs so I can't do that very well, so we just take brisk walks :smile:
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've got three dogs and while I run with them, that's not all we do.
    They like to play ball, so I do Doggie Ball Throwing Bootcamp in the mornings while we play - I throw the ball and squat and then throw the ball and squat, repeat to a total of 20 times. Then I do jumping jacks or skaters or high knees to get my heart rate up and then I do an arm exercise - usually wall pushups or chair dips (I do this outside on my porch). And then more aerobic activity and then another leg strength exercise...and so on and so forth. I switch it up everytime and strive for at least 30 minutes of activity like that. They love playing ball for 30 minutes straight and I enjoy getting in a workout before I do anything else.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I just spent a week dog-sitting my friend's retriever, and to be honest, it was hard to do anything with her. You can't run with them until they're older, and this dog only really wanted to play with other dogs, or run after a ball, which meant I spent most of my time standing in one place. :tongue: That said, we also walked for at least 90 minutes each day, which, even though it wasn't the high-intensity workout I would normally have, was a nice way to burn extra calories and relax at the same time.

Have fun with your new puppy!!!!! :happy:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the name of it but I saw a work out DVD somewhere to work out with your dogs.
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    We have thre pomeranian puppies right now and it never fails that one of them wants to jump on the balance board with me. They are only 7 weeks only and probably dont weight more than a pound or two, but I have held them while I do step. It's not like its much of an added weight, but its at least an extra calorie or two and some fun lovin licks. :) Enjoy your new puppy it will be lots of fun and lots of work, but someone who will always love you for you.
  • michr50
    michr50 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have two goldies and they need lots of walking and exercise. They are great to take to a park and run with. Even as small puppies they love to chase you and you will chase them to get back whatever they have stolen. They love to have something in their mouths. The busier you keep them the easier they are to train. Great dogs. Enjoy
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Please remember that since a puppy is so young that it is not a good idea for them to run long distances, on hard concrete, or to jump since their growth plates have not finished developing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Please remember that since a puppy is so young that it is not a good idea for them to run long distances, on hard concrete, or to jump since their growth plates have not finished developing.

+1. Yes, there are some limitations with puppies--and they aren't wind-up toys either. Plus, they are pretty stoic, so they don't always let you know if they are hurting. I have to admit, however, my GR was born with a heart defect and, although he seems to do fine with regular activity, he doesn't have the same stamina or endurance as other dogs.

Maybe it's just me and my lack of imagination, but I have found that trying to exercise myself and the dog at the same time usually winds up that neither one of us is very successful.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options

To add to this, it's also important to keep them secluded until they are at least 4 months old -- after they have received ALL of their shots + the rabies vax. The last thing you would want is for your puppy to get parvo because he went to the park too soon.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've tried to run with my 4 year old lab mix. He just jumps on me when we run. Either that or he cuts me off and I trip over the leash. I pray that your dog turns out to be a "jog friendly" dog!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have a boxer that I run with. It makes it so that we can live with her. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I got her at a year old from a rescue, and the first few walks we went on were torture, I had blisters on my hands from her pulling the leash. :sad: Now she is the best running partner ever. She lets me know when I run too slow, and protects me from the boogey man when we run at night in the dark.

Since you are getting a puppy, it is VERY important to give him exercise, but not to over do it since he is still growing and too much forced exercise is going to create problems later in life. I would say to start out with short walks, and once he has had his shots take him to a puppy obedience class to learn the basics of being a good canine citizen. Ask your vet how much exercise is too much, and stick within those limits. Once he is a year old, I would say you should be able to take him running with you. Depending on how much you run or if you run. If you don't run, long, brisk walks are good too. It helps to build a "pack" bond with your dog to go out and explore together, making sure he is always obedient on the leash and that YOU are directing the exploring, not him. (Think Caesar Milan) I started Couch to 5k with my dog, and it was a good way to make sure I didn't over do it for her. Not that I will ever be able to run far enough or fast enough to tire her out! Oh, and be careful in hot weather. Try to stick to early morning when the weather is cool. It is harder for them to cool themselves.